Sammie Coates opines

RunInRed

Auburn WR Sammie Coates: "Everybody's talking about they want to win, but they aren't showing they want to win. That's what makes me mad."

Coates says this Auburn team really needs leaders to step up..

Auburn's Sammie Coates just killed it in the interview room, very outspoken about issues facing the team. Wonder how team will receive it.

@jzenor

Coates said Coach Chizik challenged the WR's and they came through. Now time for everyone to step up

Coates said both quarterbacks need to talk and motivate more. Need leadership to motivate because coaches don't play the game.

Coates says the focus isn't there. We want to be good but we're not showing it

@ITATJason

Coates on Auburn QBs: "They talk, but they don't talk or explain things enough."

Coates says older guys are talking, but not showing it on the field every time. Wants young guys to start stepping up. He's aggravated.

@wareagleextra

Coates also said he wants to see one of the quarterbacks step up and lead, said the leadership has to come from people in main roles.

Interesting that a redshirt freshman appears to be the most fired up person we've talked to in two weeks.

@JHokanson

WR Sammie Coates says: "We don't have the leadership to win."

More from WR Sammie Coates on leadership: "They (coaches) put it on the older guys, but they aren't showing much."

@JayGTate

Auburn WR Sammie Coates on teammates: "They're either going to buy in and get our backs off the wall…or we're going to keep going down."

@AUGoldMine

A4xroV4CYAAzhjL.jpg

photo via @chambc1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stallworth said that there's effort, just lack of execution.

Bell said there's people on the field not giving enough effort.

I'm hoping this isn't a showing of team chemistry right now. Sounds more like the blame game.

We all (players, coaches, alumni and fans) need to be more encouraging, supporting, and quit lamblasting everyone everywhere. We need to be all in because those of us that are all in are going through this together.

Every new player quote, tweet, etc. I read is more and more disturbing... grrrr.

Something just ain't right about this so-called "team".......

It's got me worried.

Every new player quote, tweet, etc. I read is more and more disturbing... grrrr.

It's got me worried.

agreed... not very unified however I like Coate's bluntness. I think the issue is we just have a bunch of quiet leaders and not a lot of ray lewis in your face type leaders. Maybe Coates will fill that roll.

I'm retired now, but way back when, I used to tell the guys who worked under me to look at every situation that went bad "with a not what 'they' did or didn't do but what could 'I' have done or done differently to have prevented this from happening". I'm one of those guys that think that 99% of all 'accidents' are preventable by someone doing something earlier. If its the other guys fault, how will we ever learn to make our self a better person? Time for the players to quit talking about it and "show" it. We need a more "follow me" approach and less talking. Good luck guys (and yep, I also believe you make your own 'luck' with more hustle - ha) War Eagle.

I have to give it to Coates.....he laid it all out there and backed it with passion. I can only hope it resets some buttons.

He's 100% right. It's not clear yet if he's expressed this in team meetings or face to face. If not, it's trouble.

I LOVE THIS KID!!!!!! Finally some FIRE... We have had a number of top recruiting classes and should again this year. Its about damn time one of them stepped up before there senior year. Good Grief, who cares about their tweets, they aren't trashing anyone.. He is saying I want to step up, WE need to step up... Someone needs to MAN the F up and get it done...

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!!

Scott

It's got me worried.

agreed... not very unified however I like Coate's bluntness. I think the issue is we just have a bunch of quiet leaders and not a lot of ray lewis in your face type leaders. Maybe Coates will fill that roll.

I noticed the poster in the background of Coates press conference that said "QUIET STRENGTH" - - - I wonder who decided to place that on the wall?

It's got me worried.

Oh my, Ray Lewis as a role model. Research the murder Ray Lewis got away with before holding him out as something to be emulated. Re. outspoken players: there's a fine line between motivation and a Sparky Woods/Gamecocks/Tanneyhill situation.

The thing that stuck out to me the most, was his reference to the "two QB's". Up until Saturday, only Frazier and Wallace have seen snaps. Are we to infer now that Wallace is completely out of the mix at QB? Maybe he's suggesting a third option should be tried.

Going by what a lot of guys said in fall camp we may be seeing more of Wallace in the coming weeks....yes he will make some of the same mistakes as kf and cm but goin by what was said he is a natural leader so I guess we will see

I'd love to see Sammie produce before he started spouting off about guys not "showing it" on the field. Three catches on the season and one huge drop that could've changed the complexion of the LSU game.

Regardless, I don't mind most of what he said. The QBs have a duty to process everything out loud. Especially in an offense like this, they have to explain what they see so the WRs can attempt to read the plays in the same way. If the QB/WR aren't on the same page on option routes, it often turns into an INT. It's the QBs duty to get everyone on the same page.

Still, PRODUCE SAMMIE!! Stop talking so damn much, get open, demand the ball, and freaking catch it when you have a chance to break a game open. We're deperate for a WR to take the top off the defense. Emory is a lot of things, but he isn't that kind of WR. Sammie and Jaylon are the best possibilities so it's time for one of those guys to take the position by the scruff of the neck.

Two QB's, Three... Right now we have ZERO!!!!!! Tell and show me I'm wrong.. WE changed QB's, defensive sets and looked so lost it was unreal... WE went into a game as the 7.5 favorite.. I even saw trap written all over it....

It feels like the wheels are definitely coming off the bus!

I think the wheels are gone Mom!

Seriously, watching this team play, reading what players are saying, what the head coach says, etc.... it just feels like AU is skidding around on a bare axel with sparks shooting out the rearend of the vehicle on the asphalt. :dead:

I'd love to see Sammie produce before he started spouting off about guys not "showing it" on the field. Three catches on the season and one huge drop that could've changed the complexion of the LSU game.

Regardless, I don't mind most of what he said. The QBs have a duty to process everything out loud. Especially in an offense like this, they have to explain what they see so the WRs can attempt to read the plays in the same way. If the QB/WR aren't on the same page on option routes, it often turns into an INT. It's the QBs duty to get everyone on the same page.

Still, PRODUCE SAMMIE!! Stop talking so damn much, get open, demand the ball, and freaking catch it when you have a chance to break a game open. We're deperate for a WR to take the top off the defense. Emory is a lot of things, but he isn't that kind of WR. Sammie and Jaylon are the best possibilities so it's time for one of those guys to take the position by the scruff of the neck.

I agree! The only one on the team that I can immediately think of who can call anyone out is McCalebb. He is the only player to consistently give it their full effort, no matter what the score.

I appreciate the young man's candor and obvious burning desire to see his team play up to their potential. Somebody must step up and be a leader so why not a redshirt freshman? Leaders can and should be controversial at times.

Archived