How about ...

NOLATiger

Tressal?

Don't wont to go anywhere near someone that has gotten two programs on probation already (Youngstown State and Ohio State) and has a show reason to hire clause attached to them by the NCAA. Not to mention he would be suspended from the first 5 games of the year and the bowl game.

As for the "why leave since it's easy," I'd say, again, that it's an advantage. Come to the conference where winning the trophy is a de facto ticket to the national championship game. Sure, it's not easy. But it's the most satisfying. The fan bases are the biggest. Risk-reward. Those guys are businessmen. But they are competitors, too, if not first. You offer them the competitive opportunity and pay them accordingly, they'll at least have a conversation.

If this is true, why did Kiffin leave?, why doesn't Kelly leave Oregon, Stoops leave OK.

I'm not saying they ain't competitors but they also realize one lose and they are done. Also, there is the matter of recruiting. Why recruit against 5 giants instead of 1 or 2.

Actually, Stoops would be one to take a shot at. While its a longshot the lack of championships combined with starting to lose to K State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State making moves upward has quite a few of the Sooners edgy and thinking it might be time for something new and fresh.

I bet you Arkansas makes a play for him.

Of the coaches you listed, it would be great if we could get either Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson or Art Briles. I'd also add Bret Bielema.

So we often hear the, "If you fire him, who you gonna hire?" line as a reason never to make a move. How 'bout this.

1) Gogue has to let Jacobs go, along with Tim Jackson.

2) Ask Hal Baird to return as acting (NOT Interim), while also chairing the search committee, which would include the board's athletics committee chairperson, the president of the Letterman's club and the faculty athletics representative.

3) If the new AD was in place by season's end, he and Gogue would together evaluate Chizik. If not, Baird and Gogue would do it together.

4) If they make a move, here's a top shelf list:

Bert Bielema, 42, seven seasons as head coach at Wisconsin. Proven winner from a big-time conference. Might relish a jump into the SEC. Still young enough to be hungry. Plays a physical brand of football but would clearly benefit by SEC recruiting prowess among defenders, which, honestly, is the ONLY thing that sets the league apart nationally.

Mark Richt, 52, head coach at the University of Georgia for 12 years. Do I need to expound. Yes, he hasn't won a national championship as a head coach. But he's demonstrated that he can put a national champion contender on the field. No worries about his character -- he'd fit right in with the Auburn ethos. And, I'd submit that it's time for him to move on, just on the general principle of itinerant ministry, if you will. Fresh start for him, for us, for Georgia.

Chris Petersen, 47, in his seventh season as head coach at Boise State. His record speaks for itself. Not sure about he cultural/political fit. But he is an absolute winner. And he also would relish being in an "underdog" kind of position. Clarification: Auburn is not a small fish, but we are the historical underdog against Alabama and, whether we like it or not, that history is in full force at the present.

SECOND PREFERRED LIST (I'd be happy with these, but they wouldn't be my first calls):

Gary Patterson, 52, in his 13th season at TCU. His resume speaks for itself. It was rumored -- perhaps true -- that he was on Jacobs' short list last time but insisted on bringing his entire staff. The way I heard it, that was a deal breaker for Jay. Again, can't speak to the accuracy. But Auburn could do worse.

Art Briles, 56, head coach at Baylor. Prolific offenses. Less sure about his style would fit in the SEC or at Auburn. But he's an innovator and a winner.

----------------

Listen folks, Auburn can get good candidates, even with Saban at his peak across the state (though let's not kid ourselves, that makes both harder and more critical). Now, I don't know how deep the deepest pockets are in terms of buying out Gene and the staff. Again, the mere fact that the institution is locked in that kind of pickle is more of a reason that Jay Jacobs cannot be allowed to make another major hire at Auburn.

As for prospective athletics directors, I'm not sure. Don't have a ready list there. But I'm not a university president. Dr. Gogue should run in circles where he doesn't need any of our help on that. It's not important that we have a flashy personality in that post. At a place like Auburn, the football coach is the front-man anyway. Just give me competence, vision and accountability. In fact, the less ego the better. I'd rather have an out-front president than an out-front athletics director any day of the week. It is a university, after all.

Penny for your thoughts.

War Eagle.

We wouldn't get any of those guys.

As for the "why leave since it's easy," I'd say, again, that it's an advantage. Come to the conference where winning the trophy is a de facto ticket to the national championship game. Sure, it's not easy. But it's the most satisfying. The fan bases are the biggest. Risk-reward. Those guys are businessmen. But they are competitors, too, if not first. You offer them the competitive opportunity and pay them accordingly, they'll at least have a conversation.

If this is true, why did Kiffin leave?, why doesn't Kelly leave Oregon, Stoops leave OK.

I'm not saying they ain't competitors but they also realize one lose and they are done. Also, there is the matter of recruiting. Why recruit against 5 giants instead of 1 or 2.

Actually, Stoops would be one to take a shot at. While its a longshot the lack of championships combined with starting to lose to K State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State making moves upward has quite a few of the Sooners edgy and thinking it might be time for something new and fresh.

Yeah, lets get the guy who is struggling with K State and B12.

Does anyone understand how college football works? We aint gonna get no Mark Richt lmao why would he leave Georgia to go to Auburn?? He has it made. He has the best pool of recruits to choose from. He may get fired from UGA but he aint leaving there to come here! People throw stupid names out there. If you know anything then you should know that Bill Cowher, Pete Carroll, John Gruden, Jack Del Rio, Mark Richt, Jimbo Fisher, Urban Myer, Jim Tressell, Tony Dungy, Steve Spurrier, Doink the Clown, Peter Griffin and whatever crazy name you wanna list is not coming.

A sensible list of hires would be someone like Willie Taggart, Todd Barry, David Cutcliffe, Gary Patterson, Bill O'Brien (long shot), Pete Lembo, Gary Anderson, John L. Smith (jk on Smith)

Some good long shots would be Bobby Petrino, James Franklin, Dan Mullen, Hugh Freeze, Paul Rhoads these are very longshots due to past ties with Auburn and the fact some already coach in the SEC.

seriously, people? How man of these coaching change threads do we need? Why can't people just put their post into an existing thread instead of insisting on starting a new one? It's all discussing the same thing.

seriously, people? How man of these coaching change threads do we need? Why can't people just put their post into an existing thread instead of insisting on starting a new one? It's all discussing the same thing.

Personally I am technologically ignorant but I didn't start the thread. My apologies.

Personally I am technologically ignorant but I didn't start the thread. My apologies.

It wasn't directed at you at all. Although of the list you mentioned a post or two above, the only one I would consider from that list would be: DOINK THE CLOWN....but only if Mini Doink comes too.. :lol:

As we saw in 2008, there were dozens of top-tier, Super Bowl or National Championship-winning coaches who were just begging for the opportunity to come coach at AU. The best thing we can possibly do now is fire a coach who just won a national title. That is sure to attract the highest possible level of coaching geniuses.

It wasn't directed at you at all. Although of the list you mentioned a post or two above, the only one I would consider from that list would be: DOINK THE CLOWN....but only if Mini Doink comes too.. :lol:

The name is Dink buddy he doesn't like being called Mini Doink. And yes it is a packaged deal for your fyi he is great OC.

The name is Dink buddy he doesn't like being called Mini Doink. And yes it is a packaged deal for your fyi he is great OC.

Wow..all my years of watching and I didn't remember his name was Dink. :lol: I should have known that. Thanks for the correction. :lol:

How many sunshine pumping threads did we need after an overtime win over ULM? Listen, I respect folks who wanna sit back and wait this out. But I think there's plenty of evidence out there for the position I'm taking to get a little more respect than your snark. If you will check my OP, I don't even say fire Chizik this year. I said fire Jay Jacobs, and I'll repeat that with confidence all day and throw out the measurables to back it up. On that point, I will not respect someone's position, because, frankly, that was an AWFUL hire to hire begin. More inexplicable than hiring Coach Chizik (a fine man with an accomplished football resume, with questions only at Iowa State).

Jacobs, meanwhile, had spent his ENTIRE career in the Auburn athletics department, never doing a whole bunch of anything innovative. You'll have to forgive me if I'm unimpressed with having run Tigers Unlimited. "Hi, please give us money so you have the right to buy football tickets." (Yes, I know there's a little more to it than that, but the idea that it qualifies one to be AD is a stretch.) Further, remember the other finalists? Dan Radakovich, senior associate AD at LSU and de facto day-to-day manager under Bertman. Greg McGarity, at the time the senior associated AD at Florida, Jeremy Foley's longtime No. 2. And Scott Etheridge, who at the time was CFO of NBC Sports, a post he assumed by the time he was 33. You wanna tell me why Ed Richardson hired Jay? We know darn well why that is, and if you think that's OK, well, then we just have different views of how Auburn ought to be run.

I'm reminded of a great David Housel observation that I have used from time to time: This notion of the Auburn family is Auburn's greatest asset and its greatest liability.

I'd say forgive my tone, but frankly, it angers me to have that snark thrown in my direction when, for the love, I stand up and say that the money for this staff, combined for the results and the trend leads me to suspect this won't end with anything other than an expensive buyout and a coaching change. Is that "good for Auburn"? Well, of course it's not ideal. But, in Dye speak, if we ain't gettin' no better, we ain't getting' no better. Sometimes you gotta go with the maximum short-term pain to have any hope of a long-term gain.

Bottom line: 2012 ... 2013 ... 2014. It's gonna happen. Gene Chizik is not at Auburn for the long haul. Jay Jacobs will not hire his replacement. And Auburn will not beat Alabama again or play in a top tier bowl, much less Atlanta in early December, until those changes happen.

Yeah, lets get the guy who is struggling with K State and B12.

If people want a name with a track record that might be willing to move. Change of conference and venue might do good. Spurrier was considered done for a while at S Carolina.

I'm just participating in the discussion. If things are still really bad like this after 2013 I will panic.

Pete Carroll see if he would return to college

Now that would be ironic to get the guy who helped rip us off back in 2004..... :o

I think Pete Carroll is done with college. He's 61 years old and has a few years left with Seattle no matter what. After that he might be a talking head on ESPN.

I'm just not seeing why we would want Mark Richt. He makes me think of UGA's version of Tuberville. Always fields a good enough team to beat almost anyone, wins some games he shouldn't, loses some games he shouldn't, and has the semi-annual inexplicable blowout loss that his team looks completely unprepared for. They had one of those just last Saturday (right after ours). Not that he's a terrible coach, but if Chizik is going to be replaced, I'd like to see that opportunity taken to bring in someone on the way up instead of making a lateral move or on the way out.

Of the primary list, I'd only like to see Petersen. Briles, from the secondary.

Archived