DEFENSE vs ARKANSAS

eulessau

Our offense will be hardpressed to score 24 against the pitiful D of Arky. We may reach 24 with a score from the D or special teams.

In Arkansas's best defensive performance of the season they gave up 24 points to Jacksonville State playing @home. Their defense, especially against the pass, is a total train wreck and the perfect team to play for Kiehl to start builing some confidence.

ULM should have been the perfect place for Frazier to build confidence, I didn't see it. Until I see KF's grasp of the on-field game improve dramatically, I'm with those that think we'll need a defense or special teams score to hit 24 points or more.

If KF does improve quickly and dramatically in game situations I do not look for him to be the QB much longer. Taking the redshirt off Wallace last week was very telling. I certainly don't want to see us resort to throwing a true freshman in the fire but there comes a time when you have to do something different to try to give your team a chance to win. We don't have a chance when our QB lacks confidence, freezes in the pocket, misses wide open receivers, and throws to the wrong color jerseys. If the light doesn't come on for him very soon I think it is reasonable to conclude it just isn't going to happen and it is time to move on and get someone else ready. I really, really hope that is not the case. I hope he comes out against Arky, throws 5 TD's, and goes on to have a great season. But if it becomes obvious he has gone in the tank again I hope the coaches will consider giving one of the other guys a chance because they owe it to the rest of the team. The defense played plenty good enough to win the game against LSU but with the offense giving up 3 turnovers, a safety, and numerous 3 and outs, they were not given the opportunity to win.

You do realize that for a lot of players it takes several years before the light comes on right?

We are 118 in the nation in turnovers lost, 117 in interceptions and 113 in passing efficiency. Anyone care to explain how we are going to win more games until there is a dramatic improvement in that part of our play? We are one of the few schools with no red-zone passing TDs and only 2 rushing TDs in four games.

If the O can keep the ball for a few drives longer than 5 plays....and actually score TDs from the red zone...the D will do just fine.

Ohhhhh crap!

Thanks for making me lose my oatmeal this morning AU64. :sad2:

Our offense will be hardpressed to score 24 against the pitiful D of Arky. We may reach 24 with a score from the D or special teams.

In Arkansas's best defensive performance of the season they gave up 24 points to Jacksonville State playing @home. Their defense, especially against the pass, is a total train wreck and the perfect team to play for Kiehl to start builing some confidence.

ULM should have been the perfect place for Frazier to build confidence, I didn't see it. Until I see KF's grasp of the on-field game improve dramatically, I'm with those that think we'll need a defense or special teams score to hit 24 points or more.

If KF does improve quickly and dramatically in game situations I do not look for him to be the QB much longer. Taking the redshirt off Wallace last week was very telling. I certainly don't want to see us resort to throwing a true freshman in the fire but there comes a time when you have to do something different to try to give your team a chance to win. We don't have a chance when our QB lacks confidence, freezes in the pocket, misses wide open receivers, and throws to the wrong color jerseys. If the light doesn't come on for him very soon I think it is reasonable to conclude it just isn't going to happen and it is time to move on and get someone else ready. I really, really hope that is not the case. I hope he comes out against Arky, throws 5 TD's, and goes on to have a great season. But if it becomes obvious he has gone in the tank again I hope the coaches will consider giving one of the other guys a chance because they owe it to the rest of the team. The defense played plenty good enough to win the game against LSU but with the offense giving up 3 turnovers, a safety, and numerous 3 and outs, they were not given the opportunity to win.

You do realize that for a lot of players it takes several years before the light comes on right?

Absolutely. But is the Auburn family prepared to continue to support the team and coaches several years while we are waiting on the one good year? I don't think so. If someone else comes along who develops much quicker they deserve a chance and the team deserves a chance to win now.

As I posted on another site:

Don't want to sound like Debbie Downer but remember our Offense scored all of 10 points, 7 of which came after an LSU turnover on a very short-field. We (AU) did not score the entire 2nd half.

Our D looked much improved, but LSU was without their starting tailback and playing with a recently reshuffled O-line.

Again don't want to sound all negative but we have allot of work to do this bye week!

LSU has 4 starting tailbacks. That's some weak **** right there.

Wow. I have not been on much since there merger, now i remember why. Where is the Jim Jones Kool-Aid? Such negativity. I also did not realize the coaching talent the resides in the Auburn Community. I love how we as Auburn fans have gotten to the point where we compare things that should not be compared. LSu offense versus Clemson? Cannot compare them. Yet we say that Arkansas style of offense is what has hurt us this year? Really? Not true. Tyler Wilson is not a runner capable of picking up 3 down-8 yards consistantly with his feet. That is a big difference from Clemson and LaM.

Chizik has been quoted as saying that, for the rest of the year, Wallace will be getting 0 - 20 plays a game. That makes it pretty clear that they didn't burn his red shirt so he can replace Kiehl.

0-20. That is an interesting way to quantify his expected snaps. I would expect to hear that he would get a 1 to 2 series. I have never been a fan of changing QB's during a drive which is what his statement alludes to imo.

I think if he really said 0-20 snaps a game then that's more of Chizik staying really close to the vest. With that vast of a difference, there is no way to tell really how Wallace will be used. My personal guess, you will see Wallace be developed similarly to the way Frazier was last season. Of course, it might be totally different than what we saw with Frazier as well.

They didn't "burn Wallace's redshirt". There was never any plan to redshirt Wallace. Now that Wallace has come along a bit, expect him to be used exactly as Frazier was used last year, as a wildcat, change of pace guy.

IMO, this game will truly show us where our D is. We have really really really struggled against QB's that can throw it. I am looking forward to this game. I hope the week off helps both the O and the D. We are catching Arky at a perfect time IMO. I just hope we aren't the medicine they are looking for.

i disagree - we have struggled against O's where the QB could run it. Arky will spread it out, but they are not a "spread" team. They will deploy alot of receivers. They will throw all over the field. They will get yards. This game goes - and i mean win/lose - as our DT's go. If they have trully improved, then we win. I think it is that simple. We will score 30 on Arky and look good doing so. Will be a balanced game of 40 - 45 runs and 25 - 30 passes. Both teams will have 400 yards of offense. We will simply be better in the red zone and our special teams will give us a major advantage.

Arky (unless they miraculously beat A&M) will be the worst team that we have played to date. We should and very much need to beat Arky.

wde

IMO, this game will truly show us where our D is. We have really really really struggled against QB's that can throw it. I am looking forward to this game. I hope the week off helps both the O and the D. We are catching Arky at a perfect time IMO. I just hope we aren't the medicine they are looking for.

i disagree - we have struggled against O's where the QB could run it. Arky will spread it out, but they are not a "spread" team. They will deploy alot of receivers. They will throw all over the field. They will get yards. This game goes - and i mean win/lose - as our DT's go. If they have trully improved, then we win. I think it is that simple. We will score 30 on Arky and look good doing so. Will be a balanced game of 40 - 45 runs and 25 - 30 passes. Both teams will have 400 yards of offense. We will simply be better in the red zone and our special teams will give us a major advantage.

I hope you are right. What you are suggesting happens is the exact opposite of what we have seen through four games. As far as the QB stats, just go back and look at what we give up through the air. Not what you want to happen, what has happened.

I hope you are right. What you are suggesting happens is the exact opposite of what we have seen through four games. As far as the QB stats, just go back and look at what we give up through the air. Not what you want to happen, what has happened.

fwiw ... i hope i am right, too! :) (i am not exactly oozing with confidence with my post ... maybe it is more hopefully wishing)

I do not see Arky scoring a whole lot of points nor posting over 325 yards of total offense. I would not be surprised if Arky only wins 1 or 2 more games the rest of the season of which 1 of them being against us! Folks, they are bad and are only going to get worse. Likewise, we are only going to get better.

WDE

Doc

The defense has grown up a lot, gained in confidence now. I expect to see a good defense against Arky, because the DT's are now with the rest of the team. The offense didn't look that good, but they were against a very good defense last week. I expect they, too, have realized that they can play football now. While they will still need the Arky game to grow up, I believe they will. I figured when the season began, it would be after the Arkansas game before we had a good offense. I still believe we will. The offense and defense will start complimenting each other now and we will see the team grow up in this game. War Eagle forever.

Archived