DEFENSE vs ARKANSAS

eulessau

I think even the most ardent doom & gloomers would agree that the defensive performance against LSU was a huge stride in the right direction. Truth is, the defense has been improved in every game and has been continuously improving all year. There have been some lapses here and there, but generally every defensive statistical category has shown improvement (yes, even tackling).

We just showed that we can match up well with a pro-style physical offense. Next game we will again face an offense that will spread us out and attack with the pass. We will give up some yards. We will give up some points. The keys will be 3rd down and redzone defense. We must continue to improve in these categories, and they have improved from last year.

If we can hold Arky to 350-400 yds and more importantly 24 points or less, we can and should win the game. I base this on a belief that Arky's defense is probably the worst we have faced, with the possible exception of LaMo.

If we do beat Arkansas (and I think we will), I believe it is very possible to go on a 5 game winning streak. Based on where we stand right now, being 6-3, with Georgia coming to Auburn for hopefully a night game, would feel like a really good place to be.

Our offense will be hardpressed to score 24 against the pitiful D of Arky. We may reach 24 with a score from the D or special teams.

Yes, Tyler Wilson passes for over 400 yds but Arky still loses to...Rutgers? Arkys offense might be way better than ours but our defense may be WAY better than theirs.

I'm thinking close loss to Arky then 6 game wining streak including home win vs UGA.

Our offense will be hardpressed to score 24 against the pitiful D of Arky. We may reach 24 with a score from the D or special teams.

In Arkansas's best defensive performance of the season they gave up 24 points to Jacksonville State playing @home. Their defense, especially against the pass, is a total train wreck and the perfect team to play for Kiehl to start builing some confidence.

In Arkansas's best defensive performance of the season they gave up 24 points to Jacksonville State playing @home. Their defense, especially against the pass, is a total train wreck and the perfect team to play for Kiehl to start builing some confidence.

ULM should have been the perfect place for Frazier to build confidence, I didn't see it. Until I see KF's grasp of the on-field game improve dramatically, I'm with those that think we'll need a defense or special teams score to hit 24 points or more.

I sure hope you are right. I'm pulling for KF and certainly hope he can turn his game around. So far it hasn't been very impressive. Seems to me that he is aiming the ball too much instead of just throwing it with confidence. Far too many high and wayward throws thusfar.

Arky's rush defense is somewhat better than ours. Their pass defense is very weak, but are we in a position to take advantage of that weakness?

Can our defense do better than they did against passing/spread teams Clemson and ULM? That's the question. Was there that much actual improvement or did LSU's offense simply keep trying to hit our strong point? I guess we'll see in two weeks.

We keep hearing the this is the game to get kiehl's confidence. I'll wait to see it but I can't say i will be holding my breath. We will need to keep them honest enough on the run to have a shot at getting those points

Matthew Stafford had a pretty similar start to his college career and then about half way through the season the light came on. I guess I'm just hoping that the same thing will happen with Kiehl.

Stafford finished the season completing just barely over 50% of his passes and had a 2-1 int to TD ratio. Those numbers don't look impressive but he was a much better qb at the end of the year and led the way for UGA to upset our #5 ranked team.

The defense did indeed look 100% better against LSU. I hope it carries over to our next 8 games. Surely Loeffler and our offense can learn how to move the ball and start scoring touchdowns before the season is over.

We keep hearing the this is the game to get kiehl's confidence. I'll wait to see it but I can't say i will be holding my breath. We will need to keep them honest enough on the run to have a shot at getting those points

Matthew Stafford had a pretty similar start to his college career and then about half way through the season the light came on. I guess I'm just hoping that the same thing will happen with Kiehl.

Stafford finished the season completing just barely over 50% of his passes and had a 2-1 int to TD ratio. Those numbers don't look impressive but he was a much better qb at the end of the year and led the way for UGA to upset our #5 ranked team.

I was at that game, shocked to see the improvement in Stafford from what had been seen on TV earlier. Part of the issue was protection and UGA did a great job of giving Stafford protection by keeping their RBs in pass protection and taking out our DEs. Course they had developed a great running game as well.

I think CSL needs to sit down with KF and ask what he is comfortable with in the offense, build a package that will help him be most effective and work on the pocket passer development over time. Of course I am not paid to consult on college offenses. I just want to cheer our improvement.

Little doc

Yes, Tyler Wilson passes for over 400 yds but Arky still loses to...Rutgers? Arkys offense might be way better than ours but our defense may be WAY better than theirs.

I'm thinking close loss to Arky then 6 game wining streak including home win vs UGA.

agree 100% yeah it'll be an interesting game, I think we win by 3-6 points since it's an 11:00 A.M kickoff, but idk we might kill them if we play them like we played LSU .

agree 100% yeah it'll be an interesting game, I think we win by 3-6 points since it's an 11:00 A.M kickoff, but idk we might kill them if we play them like we played LSU .

There are three parts to a football team: offense, defense, and special teams. If they all play the way they did against LSU, we lose. Our offense has got to be better than they were Saturday. Arky, with Wilson, will score some points.

Texas A&M leads the league in sacks.....my question is this....

can Wilson make it through the A&M game????

IMO, this game will truly show us where our D is. We have really really really struggled against QB's that can throw it. I am looking forward to this game. I hope the week off helps both the O and the D. We are catching Arky at a perfect time IMO. I just hope we aren't the medicine they are looking for.

There is a chance Wilson fakes an injury by the second quarter............

if we need 24 points to win,we will lose....our offense can't score 24 points against air.....this is not a negative post either,it is a factual one

"can't score 24 points against air" = factual? REALLY? So you're saying that we played better against Louisiana-Monroe than we would against no one at all, since we scored 31 against them? Oh yea... and they beat Arkansas. There is a big difference between being disappointed in the performance to date and running the team down. Think about it.

And if he does, can he last 4 quarters against Lemonier and Ford?

There are three parts to a football team: offense, defense, and special teams. If they all play the way they did against LSU, we lose. Our offense has got to be better than they were Saturday. Arky, with Wilson, will score some points.

Yep.

As I posted on another site:

Don't want to sound like Debbie Downer but remember our Offense scored all of 10 points, 7 of which came after an LSU turnover on a very short-field. We (AU) did not score the entire 2nd half.

Our D looked much improved, but LSU was without their starting tailback and playing with a recently reshuffled O-line.

Again don't want to sound all negative but we have allot of work to do this bye week!

We are 118 in the nation in turnovers lost, 117 in interceptions and 113 in passing efficiency. Anyone care to explain how we are going to win more games until there is a dramatic improvement in that part of our play? We are one of the few schools with no red-zone passing TDs and only 2 rushing TDs in four games.

If the O can keep the ball for a few drives longer than 5 plays....and actually score TDs from the red zone...the D will do just fine.

Yep.

^^^^This.

As I posted on another site:

Don't want to sound like Debbie Downer but remember our Offense scored all of 10 points, 7 of which came after an LSU turnover on a very short-field. We (AU) did not score the entire 2nd half.

Our D looked much improved, but LSU was without their starting tailback and playing with a recently reshuffled O-line.

Again don't want to sound all negative but we have allot of work to do this bye week!

And the offense scored 31 against a team that beat Arkansas... just sayin'. Arkansas is no LSU... not even close.

ULM should have been the perfect place for Frazier to build confidence, I didn't see it. Until I see KF's grasp of the on-field game improve dramatically, I'm with those that think we'll need a defense or special teams score to hit 24 points or more.

If KF does improve quickly and dramatically in game situations I do not look for him to be the QB much longer. Taking the redshirt off Wallace last week was very telling. I certainly don't want to see us resort to throwing a true freshman in the fire but there comes a time when you have to do something different to try to give your team a chance to win. We don't have a chance when our QB lacks confidence, freezes in the pocket, misses wide open receivers, and throws to the wrong color jerseys. If the light doesn't come on for him very soon I think it is reasonable to conclude it just isn't going to happen and it is time to move on and get someone else ready. I really, really hope that is not the case. I hope he comes out against Arky, throws 5 TD's, and goes on to have a great season. But if it becomes obvious he has gone in the tank again I hope the coaches will consider giving one of the other guys a chance because they owe it to the rest of the team. The defense played plenty good enough to win the game against LSU but with the offense giving up 3 turnovers, a safety, and numerous 3 and outs, they were not given the opportunity to win.

Archived