Lemonier & Ford

eulessau

What did everyone think about lining up Lemonier and Ford as linebackers and blitzing up the middle? I know they did it at least twice and it seemed to be quite effective. Don't think they got any sacks but they sure seemed to flush the QB and disrupt the play.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that is holding us back on defense now is slightly bigger linebackers (though ours played MUCH better saturday) and slowly bringing on the play book.

Our linebackers have plenty of size. That's just silliness.

Compare our LBs to LSU's.

Auburn - WLB (5'11" 215 lbs), MLB (6'1" 241 lbs), SLB (5'11" 231 lbs)

LSU - WLB (6'2" 229 lbs), MLB (6'2" 245 lbs), SLB (6'3" 210 lbs)

Are we just complaining about the height of the LB corps? Because as far as bulk, we look like every other top shelf defense. We're not actually small at any defensive position.

As for the actual thread, I liked getting those guys in different positions. It puts some unpredictability in the defense through alignment. Instead of an offensive coordinator knowing exactly where to set his blocking and allowing a TE to chip or RB to know exactly where to set up, we're moving our pieces to give the OL more to deal with. I really liked it.

Are we just complaining about the height of the LB corps? Because as far as bulk, we look like every other top shelf defense. We're not actually small at any defensive position.

Slightly taller. Not necessary pure weight. Van Gorder has made it clear he wants bigger all around though at linebacker. I think it plays into how his defense is ran specifically.

I've watched football for a long time. I never realized the difference between great defenses was 2 or 3 inches on a linebacker. Who knew? Someone should've told Travis and Antarrious Williams.

As for the actual thread, I liked getting those guys in different positions. It puts some unpredictability in the defense through alignment. Instead of an offensive coordinator knowing exactly where to set his blocking and allowing a TE to chip or RB to know exactly where to set up, we're moving our pieces to give the OL more to deal with. I really liked it.

LSU isn't known for their LBs. Their bread and butter are DL, DE and DBs. That's why you see them play a lot of 4-2 sets. I say we do our best to resemble an NFL defense and get bigger LBs. Let's not emulate college teams but rather the NFL. To hell with LSU, bama and anyone else you want to compare us to.

Okay. How about the Atlanta Falcons?

Falcons - WLB (6'1" 239 lbs), MLB (6'1" 240 lbs), SLB (6'3" 230 lbs)

Again, we're not a lot different than successful defenses. We're not too small. We may have other issues, but size isn't one of them.

Our linebackers are very small. Their height limits their range, and their ability to shed blocks. In pass coverage it limits their ability to get the jump balls, and when blitzing their reach isn't high enough to swat throws or impact the passing lanes.

How many 5'11 linebackers start in the NFL? We need guys with 6'2-6'4 frames, we need NFL type linebackers as we transition to a more pro-style approach. See The Turds Lber's the past 3 years. Championship defenses need to have NFL talent across the board

Again, we're not a lot different than successful defenses. We're not too small. We may have other issues, but size isn't one of them.

Dude, THE COACH HIMSELF says he wants bigger linebackers. I am simply repeating what has been said.

By average they are 8-10 pounds heavier and 2 inches taller. That's just taking a quick glance. I don't know if you go to Tiger Walk, but Holland is no way the height or the weight they have him listed. We do have other issues. With the likes of Foster and Toney coming in I believe you'll see the difference within a couple of years. DBs are too small also.

Oh and the "average" difference comes from ONE guy. Jake's height/weight come from Auburn. I know they exaggerate that stuff from time to time, but did you ever think the Falcons players are doing the same thing?

I don't care if VanGorder, Chizik, or anyone else says the LBs are too small. They're wrong. The position has been and will be played by similarly sized young men. Travis Williams. Antarriois Williams. Mark Brown (6'0" 240 lbs... played in the NFL for years). That's just in the last ten years. The "too small" thing has been and will be a red herring.

Being smart and playing aggressively can offset height and weight. In the first few games our LBers were playing back on their heels waiting for the play to come to them instead of attacking the ball carrier. (See Clemson game for a good example). In the LSU game, these guys attacked the LOS and didn't play on their heels and it seemed that the light came on for the first time. As they learn to play without having to think too much, our D will get much better.

Oh and the "average" difference comes from ONE guy. Jake's height/weight come from Auburn. I know they exaggerate that stuff from time to time, but did you ever think the Falcons players are doing the same thing?

I don't care if VanGorder, Chizik, or anyone else says the LBs are too small. They're wrong. The position has been and will be played by similarly sized young men. Travis Williams. Antarriois Williams. Mark Brown (6'0" 240 lbs... played in the NFL for years). That's just in the last ten years. The "too small" thing has been and will be a red herring.

Wholeheartedly agee and see the "too small @ LB" whine on a similar level with the "too weak because we dont bench press" whine. Some people!

Are you guys crazy? We are bigger and stronger than everybody. Nevermind that you can clearly see we are smaller and nevermind the results you see on the field....It does no matter

Are you guys crazy? We are bigger and stronger than everybody. Nevermind that you can clearly see we are smaller and nevermind the results you see on the field....It does no matter

This is what Ive come to expect from you. You're one funny dude...more bench press man and our problems are solved! LOL

Yeah, Lets call the people that get paid millions of dollars a year and live and breath football and have been doing this since forever wrong on what they need to run their systems.

Yeah, let's argue in the face of history and clear examples just because a new coach came in and said he needed something different.

I'll buy that we need more hitters at Safety. Look back at VanGorder's defenses at UGA. His LBs were in the 230-240 range (exactly where 2/3 of our current starting LB corp sits). The biggest difference comes at the back line. Greg Blue and Thomas Davis were playing Safety in his defense at 215 and 230. THAT is a notable size difference. The "gap" between Jake Holland and Odell Thurman? That doesn't exist. Holland is listed at 241; Thurman was listed at 235. Both were listed at 6'1". Even if you want to claim Holland is shorter and lighter, it's equally possible Thurman's list height/weight were similarly exaggerated.

This comes down to one guy, I guess. Daren Bates. He's the only guy that looks different than other SEC LBs. Nevermind that he's the best LB on the team. He doesn't look the way we want, I suppose. Holland looks every bit as thick as LSU's group. He looks thicker than Cameron Lawrence at MSU (All-Conference, 230 lb. MLB). In the LB corp, it's not a SIZE issue. I really don't care who claims otherwise because there are too many examples to prove they're incorrect. It could be a strength issue. It could be an athleticism issue, but at the LB spots, we only lack bulk at one spot: WLB. That's the list.

I also find it funny that VanGorder says he needs "bigger" LBs, but given the choice between Justin Garrett (6'1" 215 lbs) at STRONGSIDE LB or Kris Frost (6'2" 233 lbs) at Weakside... it's Frost that can't get on the field. Turns out. VanGorder just needs guys that can learn the defense, run, hit, and make plays.

I think Van Gorder just prefers bigger LBs kinda like the guy in west alabama does. Personally, I dont think current issues result from lack of strength or athleticism. At this point in the progression, I think it can be best illustrated with your point about Kris Frost which I take to mean he's still struggling with alignment and assignment and I honestly believe thay all are to varying degrees. When it all clicks and becomes instinctive rather than having to think, it will make all the difference in the world.I really dont think we're that far away either..could be wrong but thats an honest opinion,

Wow

Can't compare our guys to LSU or falcon's guys because while we may be close to as big, we are not close to being as fast. Look at bama's linebackers, LSU nfl teams (clay matthews last night). We can get big bodies sure but what sets those teams apart is the speed that their big guys play with. This is where frost was supposed to save us, with his speed and athletic ability that Evans and holland don't quite have, C. McKinzy too and that's where trey Johnson and Reuben foster come in. We might be close on size but our speed is a ways off from other top defenses. It will be 1-2 more years before our more athletic linebackers can learn the defense well enough to be as successful as bama's LSU's etc.

Archived