Mike Blakely

tigerjeffm

I know he fumbled away the momentum Saturday, but he appears to be by far the most gifted rb on the team. Especially his vision. Anyone else notice this? I'd like to see him(or 21) stay in the game for enough plays and really have a chance to get into a groove

I do think he's the most talented back on the team, but I think Mason is pretty special as well. I'm down with letting the senior get the official start, but I believe Tre has earned the right to start some this year.

I agree. I like them both. I just love the way Blakely can cut that thang back against the grain, man I love to see that. But we need both of them to get alot of carries. Mason reminds me of a way more talented brad Lester, whom I always thought was very underrated

I am not going to go as far as saying his fumble resulted in la Monroe being able to come back and tie the game but it was certify a key role. BUT what I do want to say was from where I was sitting, front row end zone, which was about 18 yards away from the spot of the ball laying on the ground, there was a tremendous amount of effort in this play. Mike was giving his all to get in the end zone and there were still guys downfield going at it blocking for him as well. The play hurt but it is this kind of effort that we must see to ever be able to turn this thing around.

Two more yards and the end result is not as close, and if I know that Mike surely does. I am sure he will hold the ball even tighter as we go forward.

Ready to see Mike shine Saturday.

He is a good looking "cut-back" type runner, a great change of pace from the other two. Even though he made a critical mistake Saturday (ball in the wrong hand) we need him in the game for 10-12 carries each week.

Nothing against Blakeley, but O-mac and Mason are both being very effective. If those two guys each get their 10-15 carries there's simply not a whole lot of carries left in a game for Blakeley. He's certainly not impressive enough to put either McCalebb or Mason on the bench.

Nothing against Blakeley, but O-mac and Mason are both being very effective. If those two guys each get their 10-15 carries there's simply not a whole lot of carries left in a game for Blakeley. He's certainly not impressive enough to put either McCalebb or Mason on the bench.

100% agree. It is hard to take away carries from Mason or Omac right now. The good thing is if we go with the plan we went with Saturday Mason probably gets around 15 carries which gives Blakley around 10 carries on fresh legs while the defense has been worn down a little bit which could end with Blakley getting a ton of yards

Edit- For some reason I think before the fumble the plan was to give Blakley a lot more carries and take the load of Mason some.

I'm with Mikey. Onterio is the best, most consistent player on the entire offense. This isn't a knock on Mike at all. It's just a fact. Onterio should touch the ball a minimum of 15-20 times a game. He's the only player on the team that I would say that about.

Between Tre and Mike, I feel like Tre is the guy more likely to take what's given and bang the ball for steady yards. Mike looks for cutbacks and keeps the play alive looking to break it. Just totally different approaches. I comfortable riding the hot hand between them.

Sorry, but IRL the RB tandem of Mason and Blakeley is many times more effective than OMAC and Mason.

Some of you live in a fantasy world.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Last week IRL OMac had like 123 yds on only 9-12 carries.

Sorry, but IRL the RB tandem of Mason and Blakeley is many times more effective than OMAC and Mason.

Not sure how you can come to that conclusion. Last week IRL OMac had like 123 yds on only 9-12 carries.

Who did we play last week? Give those touches to Mason or Blakeley and they net more yards.

So sick of us wasting plays with Omac runs up the middle.

OMac is averaging 6.9 ypc this season. He's averaging 6.5 ypc in his career at AU. He's a threat to score every single time he touches the ball.

Blakely has done nothing to prove he's "more effective" than OMac "in real life".

I love all the players that play for MY school. My frustration with Omac is that he is not the best solution for certain types of running plays...power runs, etc. This causes lots of problems because when he is on the field the defense is already a leg up because they know what types of plays we are not going to run and even if we try and catch them off guard, those plays don't work well with the personnel. It is like we show our hand early lots of times because we have situational running packages.

I was impressed with Blakely. I have been looking forward to seeing him more. He is explosive.

Kind of off topic.....does anybody else notice that every two carries Tre is tapping his helmet to come out of the game?

I was impressed with Blakely. I have been looking forward to seeing him more. He is explosive.

Kind of off topic.....does anybody else notice that every two carries Tre is tapping his helmet to come out of the game?

I saw him do that once on camera last game. I have to disagree, it's not every two plays. That's kind of an exaggerated statement there.

Even if true, the kid runs hard and we have the depth. If he wants to come out so he can run hard when he gets back in then I'm all for it.

I saw him do that once on camera last game. I have to disagree, it's not every two plays. That's kind of an exaggerated statement there.

Even if true, the kid runs hard and we have the depth. If he wants to come out so he can run hard when he gets back in then I'm all for it.

Actually it seemed to me he was doing it every time he ran the ball.

Onterio up the middle is better than getting the ball 7 deep and running east or west for a loss. Way too slow developing that play. When we have the OLine that can pull and block, then go there but not before . . .

OMac is averaging 6.9 ypc this season. He's averaging 6.5 ypc in his career at AU. He's a threat to score every single time he touches the ball.

And the more he touches it, the less effective he is, as the D knows what to expect. The jet sweeps lose production unless timed just right. I'd rather see the two larger backs on the field with Prosch. If Omac could block like a bigger RB, he could be the check down in the flats, but that isn't happening.

Like others have mentioned, Omac is too much a situational back. His production is great against lesser defenses, but him getting 15-20 plays against teams like LSU seems like a recipe for 3 and out. I'm not knocking the guy, just would rather see the other two backs get the bulk of the carries Saturday.

Who did we play last week? Give those touches to Mason or Blakeley and they net more yards.

The Warhawks finished the season (2011) eighth in the NCAA allowing just 100.0 rushing yards per game and 22nd in total defense allowing 326.2 yards.

I'd say we did a pretty good job of running the football against that defense.

The Warhawks finished the season (2011) eighth in the NCAA allowing just 100.0 rushing yards per game and 22nd in total defense allowing 326.2 yards.

I'd say we did a pretty good job of running the football against that defense.

I didn't realize we played the 2011 team last week. By that logic, we'd be better than we are this year based on last year's rankings.

Archived