Fixing The passing game

eulessau

Seems to me that the best way to help Kiehl with his passing is by working from the deep passes back to short passes. Roll him out with either 2 or 3 potential receivers (thereby providing 7 or 8 for protection) with 1 going deep. Kiehl actually throws a pretty good deep ball. Hopefully we can complete some of these, but if you don't it still might loosen the secondary some. By rolling out or at least shifting the pocket one way you can limit the reads Kiehl needs to make and simplify things for him.

Kiehl's next best pass type is the intermediate routes, but until his ability to read coverage improves, I would shy away from the middle, especially crossing routes. Stick with the one side concept (varying which side of course) and 2 or 3 receivers one of them going deep. If no one is open he can run.

At this point, Kiehl struggles the most with short passes, especially those behind the los. Until we are able to loosen a defense up, we need cut down on their use. Kiehl needs to be working on his touch with these passes a lot with his backs and receivers on their own. If the pass rush is becoming a problem in a game we should run more draws (not QB draws) to slow it down.

I still believe Kiehl can end up being a very good QB for Auburn but things must be simplified for now. As his confidence and ability to read defenses improves, more aspects of the passing game can be gradually added.

War Eagle!

Archived