anyone remember jeff burger?

aubiefifty

he is probably one of my all time favs at qb for auburn. i loved the way he would throw a long completion and cock his fingers like a gun out our o coordinator. i still get a chuckle out of the pistol at the krystal where i believe he took up for one of our frosh. anyway i was wondering if anyone knew how he was doing and also if anyone knew what the straight scoop about the krystal was.

I grew up very close to where Jeff did(Cedartown, GA). The last time I saw Jeff was several years ago, and he was a Cardboard Box Salesman-not kidding. I believe he has his own business now though.

yes a friend worked for a company that bought boxes got him to autograph a pic for me. one of my most cherished auburn pieces.

I grew up very close to where Jeff did(Cedartown, GA). The last time I saw Jeff was several years ago, and he was a Cardboard Box Salesman-not kidding. I believe he has his own business now though.

Yep, he was from that area.  I grew up in Rome and a few people in the area knew his family.  Didn't they own (or maybe they still do) the Burgers Markets chain up in that area?

He was a great QB indeed! 

This is a long JB story, but, a classic........Jeff and I had a few cold one at Harry's in our day. This was told to me by an AU player, who was in the huddle, if, it is not true, it should be:

We all know about the reverse to Tillman to beat bama. The fourth down pass to 19 to keep the drive alive has a great story to it. AU has called time out and Jeff goes to the sideline to talk to Sullivan. CPS ask him what he likes in this situation....as Jeff is speaking ,Pat Dye breaks into the meeting, screaming for them to run TIGERSWEEP to Fullwood. CPD and CPS start a heated debate, you can hear it on the ABC coverage of the game. Jeff is watching and waiting, the ref grabs him and says it is time to play. Jeff goes to the huddle and calls the play.....a curl to the TE, Ron Middleton, I believe, with an out pattern to Trey. His last words in the huddle are" if, they jump the TE, Trey, i am coming to you, low and outside..."  Well, they jump the TE and he throws, low and outside to a spot....Trey slides in and make a great catch on a great play.....

Jeff never said it wasn't true.........I like to think it is...he was a winner and  a lot of fun. I hear  he is  a successful business man and family man. Good guy....

I too always liked Burger. A friend of mine who was friends with Sullivan said Burger was just a tough, mean old country boy. While he was not the flashiest QB to ever play for AU, he was certainly a winner.

Quoting Pat Dye..he said he had every player on the teams respect in the huddle because he was the only QB he ever coached who could whip everybody's ass on the team.

Quoting Pat Dye..he said he had every player on the teams respect in the huddle because he was the only QB he ever coached who could whip everybody's ass on the team.

Yep. Loved Burger. Dude had a serious temper on him and loved to compete. Big time leader and winner.

My parents have an old pic of me and him at Jordan Hare on the field when I was just a little kid. No idea what I was doing there since I don't remember it, but I remember seeing the pic and remember Burger.

Jeff was one heck of a tough QB back in the 80s. He was what Auburn Football was about during this time. He never backed down from a fight. 

I believe that Mr. Burger would normally have a big dip of Skoal about the size of a normal ear in his lip and his shirt off for Phil Snow to interview him for the post-game interviews. He was kind of scrawny, avg speed for QB and pretty much a winner the best I remember. Quite a player.

If coach Dye had coached Phil Gargis he would have to say it was a tie between Jeff and Phil. He whipped one of the big lineman for messing with his girlfriend. The players knew not to talk too much in the huddle or he see them later. I belive the lineman was Ken Brundige.

Nice to see Jeff getting some recognition here.  I can recall many instances, with the game on the line and last drive of the 4th quarter, Jeff would lead the team to a win.  Seemed he was not bothered by the pressure.  He is one of my favorites though not often mentioned when people talk about great AU players. 

• 7 years later...

Jeff played second base in high school (Cedartown) and I played third base. What was remarkable (for my perspective) was that everyone that started was a Senior except Jeff ...who was just a Freshman! at the time (and started at second base). That fact alone, made him standing out at an early age. At the time, I considered myself as having an absolute “cannon” of an arm on third base, yet here was this Freshman that could throw almost ;-) as hard and accurate. Yes, I could tell you some stories of camping out with him and some of others in the baseball team...and some stories of his temper, but I will bite my tongue . His good Characteristics far outweigh the bad (period). I graduated, went to West Georgia then transferred to Auburn. In the meantime Jeff only grew bigger and stronger. I ran into him a couple times at parties in Auburn and he would always yell out my last name across the room/yard and raise his beer.  

• 10 months later...

Archived