Defensive Line

Wareagletd

Which defensive lineman do you think will make the biggest impact this season?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Which defensive lineman do you think will make the biggest impact this season?

• Corey Lemonier
    • Jeff Whitaker
    • Dee Ford
    • Nosa Eguae
    • Craig Sanders
    • Gabe Wright
    • Angelo Blackson
    • Kenneth Carter
    • Devaunte Sigler
    • Other

I hope they all are great and feed off of each other. I think I read recently a quote of a lineman that said they would use the first and second team D line to stay fresh the whole game and really beat up on the O lines in the games.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chose Other as there was no All Of the Above answer. I think having that much talent coming fresh at an Oline all game long is going to leave someone a gap to squeeze through just about every play. Line penetration should not be an issue this year. We're just going to have to watch out for the screens.

And draws.

I chose Other as there was no All Of the Above answer. I think having that much talent coming fresh at an Oline all game long is going to leave someone a gap to squeeze through just about every play. Line penetration should not be an issue this year. We're just going to have to watch out for the screens.

And draws.

Yes, the counters to a very aggressive defensive line are delayed draws, screens and flat passes. The linebackers are going to have to really be on their game to stop those plays with an attacking, aggressive D line in front of them.

Lemonier or Ford are the obvious answers for a good reason but any one of those guys listed could step up out of no where and make a name for himself. Nobody has even mentioned J Delaine and he could start for a lot of other teams in the SEC. I can't remember a time since the mid 80's where we had anywhere near the depth of talent of this years DL.

Man it just brings a smile on my face to know that the coaches

will have so many quality SEC caliber D-lineman to choose from.

VanGorder and Pelton with the DEPTH of that line is scary. :happydance:

However if I had to pick one from the many possible players today I

would go with Ford but tomorrow it maybe Lemonier or Whitaker or Owens

or Sanders or Wright or Blackson or Equae or Siegler or Carter or _Warbird82_

:yay::party::happydance:

^^^FIFY^^^  ;D

I can't believe most people think Ford is going to have a bigger impact that Lemonier. Dont get me wrong, I think Ford will be a force to be reckoned with (in the Fall) but what makes him more of an impact that Lemonier?

Guest All Ways War Eagle

Who knows or has any info on how the DL is doing. Have they grow up yet?  :zapbama:

I can't believe most people think Ford is going to have a bigger impact that Lemonier. Dont get me wrong, I think Ford will be a force to be reckoned with (in the Fall) but what makes him more of an impact that Lemonier?

I think the idea is that Lemonier is a known quantity and already factored into how good the line is, thus Ford's impact will be the one that really makes an impact on how good the line is. :dunno:

Well...first, if Coach Thig is comparing DF to Julius Peppers, that carries a lot of weight.  Two...what I saw last year from Dee Ford before he got hurt was total disruption in the offensive backfield...unfortunately, that was not what CTR wanted from his D-linemen (i.e., gap control defense, read and react).  BVG's defense is attack, attack, attack...this plays right into Dee Ford's game.

These are the reasons that I think DF will explode this year...no offense to CL because he will be good too, but DF will EXPLODE!  Look out SEC quarterbacks...just sayin'.

Lemoniere is known so he will demand double teams.  This will free ford up for alot of one on one's

Lemoniere is known so he will demand double teams.  This will free ford up for alot of one on one's

Well...Lemonier will demand double teams at least as long as it takes for teams to realize that he isn't the only threat we have on the D-line. After that I wouldn't be surprised if tried playing us more straight up and leaving a back in to take up slack against whichever defensive player gets through first.

Well...Lemonier will demand double teams at least as long as it takes for teams to realize that he isn't the only threat we have on the D-line. After that I wouldn't be surprised if tried playing us more straight up and leaving a back in to take up slack against whichever defensive player gets through first.

Yeah sooner or later but like in all sports a double team makes things easier for teammates so somebody will have to pay.  This is the same logic I have about Watkins playing against us for Clemson.  I don't care if he catch a pass or not he would effect the game.  Also these are potentially two draft picks we have at end so unless a team has two high level tackles I would think the weaker guy will need help.  Either way teams will have to pay :tdau:

Yeah sooner or later but like in all sports a double team makes things easier for teammates so somebody will have to pay.  This is the same logic I have about Watkins playing against us for Clemson.  I don't care if he catch a pass or not he would effect the game.  Also these are potentially two draft picks we have at end so unless a team has two high level tackles I would think the weaker guy will need help.  Either way teams will have to pay :tdau:

My point was that it's not just defensive end where we are strong. I fully expect big contributions from defensive tackle as well, especially Whitaker, and when you have that many threats, who do you choose to double team?

Simple, you double the guy who has the better bench press max. :tease:

Priority would be deal with  the inside first I would think.  Also depends how the o line match up.  Say if we had to play a suck team like Kentucky their best player is at guard so maybe they wouldn't have to double whereas another team would.  Usually teams have a strategy on which side to run.  But as far as coming into the season I'm sure the only person who teams will be worried about Lemonier cuz other guys have to step up and do it on the field, hopefully they will

I feel pretty confident that we'll have someone step up other than Lemonier, considering the number of options we have. Seven different players have received votes, two returning starters haven't received votes, and two people have voted for "other" because they believe one of the few I didn't put into the poll is the most likely to step up. We've seriously got top notch talent going three deep on defensive lines; THAT is how you create a dominating defense.

I don't see what you're arguing about.  The fact that 3 coaches have said something about our d-line as being the strong part of the defense let's me know that the d line will be good.  I think objectively that's how I am so nobody can change that so if I'm a fan of another team I'm not thinking that we have to double ANYBODY but lemonier period.  I'm not interested in arguing about if other guys will be good that is nothing I questioned.  I think since Lemonier has produced on the field that he will demand double teams and that will free up Ford.  If other guys step up and they can't focus on one guy that's fine.

Funny, Ford just told Kiehl that he better be glad he is wearing orange in practice. Great twitter exchange.

Archived