Auburn's 10 Toughest Players Ever

TigerWar

I believe Ed Dyas should be mentioned in this list of players! He also played offense, defense, and kicked field goals during his time at AU! He dominated even through injury as well. He was literally playing every single play of the game. WAR EAGLE!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm....maybe Takeo Spikes, Tracy Rocker? :dunno: A bunch to choose from.

Agree with Both Takeo Spikes and Tracy Rocker

Okay guys, I'm 34 so my memory goes only so far back unlike some of you old farts, so I'll need a little help in compiling this list. These four guys have to be on the list -

1. James Bostic (Dude was in a constant state of "Beast Mode" while running with the rock)

2. Brandon Johnson (Grew up in Bayou La Batre on an oyster boat & was tough as nails)

3. Jason Miska (Wouldn't want to run into this guy in a dark alley)

4. Junior Rosegreen (The first time I thought I witnessed a homicide on the gridiron was b/c Rosegreen)

As soon as I read the title I immediately thought Brandon Johnson. I would make him #1. Does anybody remember reading an article about Brandon where the reporter quoted one of coaches as saying "Brandon's the only man that has ever scared me just by shaking his hand."? Or something along those lines.

Okay guys, I'm 34 so my memory goes only so far back unlike some of you old farts, so I'll need a little help in compiling this list. These four guys have to be on the list -

1. James Bostic (Dude was in a constant state of "Beast Mode" while running with the rock)

2. Brandon Johnson (Grew up in Bayou La Batre on an oyster boat & was tough as nails)

4. Junior Rosegreen (The first time I thought I witnessed a homicide on the gridiron was b/c Rosegreen)

As soon as I read the title I immediately thought Brandon Johnson. I would make him #1. Does anybody remember reading an article about Brandon where the reporter quoted one of coaches as saying "Brandon's the only man that has ever scared me just by shaking his hand."? Or something along those lines.

That reporter never met Wade Christopher!

I wouldn't sell Bostic short. Are you an older fellow? Just curious if you had the pleasure of watching him run. I remember those huge biceps clutching the rock as he was plowing over defenders. He's arguably my favorite Auburn player of all time.

Danny Skutack who played from '78 to '81 was a LB at 200 lbs.

He played part of one season with a broken leg and played well.  I remember Doug Barfield announcing on the Auburn Football Review of Skutack's injury and getting choked up.

Now, that is one tough player!

Danny has my vote.  He was one of my labpartners.  Could have sworn he was at least 230+.  Are you sure about that weight ?

Guest jrljr

I've got to put Terry Henely in the mix.He was one tough player.Practically carried the Tigers in his senior season.I'll never forget no. 23 at tailback.My next would be Phil Gargis.I played high school ball aganist him and colbert co. for 2 years.The guy could hit like a 250 lb. linebacker and that was at QB.He was like having an extra FB in the backfield.

I think yourspacebar is alittle lazy, HIT ITHARDER  ! :tease:

He played part of one season with a broken leg and played well.  I remember Doug Barfield announcing on the Auburn Football Review of Skutack's injury and getting choked up.

Danny has my vote.  He was one of my labpartners.  Could have sworn he was at least 230+.  Are you sure about that weight ?

Any list without Skutack is bogus.  He weighed about 202:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1095496/index.htm

Danny went to class?

Phil Gargis had a long run against UGA with two shin splints and another injury that I can't remember. He also won the Auburn boxing tournament or title. Wade Christopher looks up to him.

A few people have mentioned Gargis. I was a student when Gargis was at AU. The guy was a Warrier, unbelievable! He would regularly get killed every week on the field running the ball with abandon. Then he would play the next week, and the next, and on and on....

Additionally, he did win what I think was called the "Toughest Man competition" at AU. This was students boxing each other and beating each other up. Phil fought in hte highest weight division, even though he was smaller than most of the people he had to fight. Crazy, can you imagine someone on football scholly doing this today?

No  disrespect but Phil sucker punch Gargis

I remember in the 1991 Iron Bowl, Derrick Lassic was running full speed and came to a dead stop when he ran into Fred Smith, who was standing still.  Lassic had to go to the sidelines right after too.

Danny went to class?

Yep.  He was always in class and lab.  Kinda surprised when he helped blow the curve for everyone but he did.  He wasn't like one of those hippie golfers toking after each swing.  :laugh:

Danny's brother was 230+...but Danny never was.  He acted like he weighed 300 lbs!!!

Phil Gargis had a long run against UGA with two shin splints and another injury that I can't remember. He also won the Auburn boxing tournament or title. Wade Christopher looks up to him.

A few people have mentioned Gargis. I was a student when Gargis was at AU. The guy was a Warrier, unbelievable! He would regularly get killed every week on the field running the ball with abandon. Then he would play the next week, and the next, and on and on....

Additionally, he did win what I think was called the "Toughest Man competition" at AU. This was students boxing each other and beating each other up. Phil fought in hte highest weight division, even though he was smaller than most of the people he had to fight. Crazy, can you imagine someone on football scholly doing this today?

David Housel described Gargis as "tougher than a dollar steak."

Archived