Auburn's 10 Toughest Players Ever

TigerWar

Phil Gargis...hands down.  Known in the day as the Mummy...had to be taped head to toe just to get out on the field.  That guy was tough!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jrljr

1. Terry Beasley -- Guy suffered more concussions than practically anyone. Jaw was actually wired with bubblegum during AU vs. UA game

2. Takeo Spikes : Dude played hurt on many occasions.

3. Brandon Cox: with all the medical problems this guy had, he laid it all on the line.

4. Zac Ethridge: Did not know if he would ever be able to play again!

5. Danny Skutack : Played with a broken leg.

6. Mike Kolen : Guy refused to not play, regardless of condition and pain.

7.  Fred Smith

8. Kurt Crain

9. Bo Jackson

10. Dontarrious Thomas

Of course if he takes the field and plays, # 1 would have to be Shon Coleman!

I'm not even sure he would have to play. Can't believe he hasn't even been mentioned. WDE SHON!!!

Nick Fairley...Dude was nasty.

Fast Freddie Smith

Ken Bernich

Mike Kolen

Quentin Riggins

......a host of Tigers who played with no face masks and played both ways.

james joseph

Kevin Greene

lionel little train james

Rocker brothers

Dontarrius Thomas

Ben Grubbs

Tj Jackson

Pat Sims

Kurt Crain

Phil Gargis had a long run against UGA with two shin splints and another injury that I can't remember. He also won the Auburn boxing tournament or title. Wade Christopher looks up to him.

Phil Gargis had a long run against UGA with two shin splints and another injury that I can't remember. He also won the Auburn boxing tournament or title. Wade Christopher looks up to him.

I'll go so far as to say they look eye to eye... ;D

Omac for having the guts to play running back in today's SEC at 160-170lbs. He's taken some VICIOUS hits from linebackers outweighing him by 80lbs and popped right back up like a boss.

Omac for having the guts to play running back in today's SEC at 160-170lbs. He's taken some VICIOUS hits from linebackers outweighing him by 80lbs and popped right back up like a boss.

Quite true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdXlEOQmHVo

If you look hard enough you can even see me.. Thought I was gonna get wiped out too.

I've got to put Terry Henely in the mix.He was one tough player.Practically carried the Tigers in his senior season.I'll never forget no. 23 at tailback.My next would be Phil Gargis.I played high school ball aganist him and colbert co. for 2 years.The guy could hit like a 250 lb. linebacker and that was at QB.He was like having an extra FB in the backfield.

Zeke Smith

Jackie Burkett

Tucker Fredrickson

Buddy McClinton

Mike Kolen

Bo Jackson

Ben Tamburello

Aundray Bruce

Tracy Rocker

Kevin Greene

Takeo Spikes

Karlos Dansby

Nick Fairley

I could easily add 15 more players.

Fred Smith, hands down 

[/quote

Beat me to it Auburnbass. Pound for pound, he had to be one of the hardest hitters I have seen at Auburn.

I agree with those that said Kolen and Greene. Those were some bad dudes. Having dealt with Mike Kolen a good bit, you would never know he was such a vicious player. Nicest and kindest man you could ever hope to meet.

Carlos Cheetum.  My spelling may be off. But he hit a UT running back so hard I heard it in the upper deck. Does anyone remember that hit?  Or have video?

Ugh, no.

Tom Banks

James Owens

Thom Gossom

with James and Thom you would have had to been there to realize what these two great Auburn men went thru to play football at Auburn. A real inner strength and toughness.

I didn't think about this.

A few people have mentioned Gargis. I was a student when Gargis was at AU. The guy was a Warrier, unbelievable! He would regularly get killed every week on the field running the ball with abandon. Then he would play the next week, and the next, and on and on....

Additionally, he did win what I think was called the "Toughest Man competition" at AU. This was students boxing each other and beating each other up. Phil fought in hte highest weight division, even though he was smaller than most of the people he had to fight. Crazy, can you imagine someone on football scholly doing this today?

Crazy, can you imagine someone on football scholly doing this today?

Nope, they wouldn't allow it. Believe it or not, some athletes can't even go sky diving without permission.

Crazy, can you imagine someone on football scholly doing this today?

Nope, they wouldn't allow it. Believe it or not, some athletes can't even go sky diving without permission.

^^^They would never get permission from me to do this!^^^

Archived