AU's Next 1000 yd Rusher

TigerWar

AU has had a 1000yd rusher in each season under Chiz, so who will it be this year?  

331 members have voted

1. 1. AU has had a 1000yd rusher in each season under Chiz, so who will it be this year?

• Tre Mason
    • Kiehl Frazier
    • Mike Blakely
    • Corey Grant
    • Jovon Robinson
    • No one will have 1000 due to depth
    • OMac

I'd love one runningback to emerge as the bell cow where Loeffler gives him the rock 20-25 times a game, but I have a feeling that the running game very well might be by committee, thus no 1000yd rusher for the first time in Chizik's tenure at Auburn. Who knows. What says you?

I get what you're saying but I hope that's not the case.

Running back's who have to carry that kind of workload, are VERY prone to injury...i.e. Marcus Lattimore...

I voted no one, due to lack of depth, but i honestly would like to see us average around the 200 yard mark per game as a team.  :wareagle:

Speaking in code again Dad? Are you saying 200 yards rushing and 200 yards passing avg. per game?

Looks like we are running the BigBird offense - 50/50 run/pass right???.....  :laugh:

Excuse me. I was working and wrote this very fast...

1. We have tremendous depth at running back...not a lack. :we:

2. 200 yards on the ground per game. We were talking about RB's.

300 yards on the air and that's 500 per game. With our special teams that puts us at about a 33 point per game output.

I like our chances with that.  :we:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love one runningback to emerge as the bell cow where Loeffler gives him the rock 20-25 times a game, but I have a feeling that the running game very well might be by committee, thus no 1000yd rusher for the first time in Chizik's tenure at Auburn. Who knows. What says you?

I get what you're saying but I hope that's not the case.

Running back's who have to carry that kind of workload, are VERY prone to injury...i.e. Marcus Lattimore...

I voted no one, due to lack of depth, but i honestly would like to see us average around the 200 yard mark per game as a team.  :wareagle:

Speaking in code again Dad? Are you saying 200 yards rushing and 200 yards passing avg. per game?

Looks like we are running the BigBird offense - 50/50 run/pass right???.....  :laugh:

Excuse me. I was working and wrote this very fast...

1. We have tremendous depth at running back...not a lack. :we:

2. 200 yards on the ground per game. We were talking about RB's.

300 yards on the air and that's 500 per game. With our special teams that puts us at about a 33 point per game output.

I like our chances with that.  :we:

If we average 500 yards per game, we might well win it all again...I like the way you think!! :thumbsup:

I agree that Mason will be the starter based on his lack of carries for A-Day. The coaches can say whatever they want, but there is still a pattern there IMO. Every year the starters barely play, and I don't think this year is any different. Now, if one of the others shows that they are better than Tre, then they will play. i just don't think they will show enough of a difference to start over him.

I love how quick Mason gets up to full speed and how he falls forward.......well usually falls forward, the kick off returns against LSU and UGA were not good examples of this :) jk....the kid is a beast, not sure how good his hands are out of the backfield though?? I remember from the HS films that Blakely had really good hands...

I think the coaches think it will be Blakely. My only support for this point is the way that CGC tried to downplay his performance at A-Day. He wants to keep all the guys hungry and you can't do that effectively by naming starters this early on such a young team.

Where is the "all of the above" button?

Actually, the question is who will be Auburn's NEXT 1,000 yard rusher. So, if you think more than one will hit 1,000 this year, then your job is to pick which one will get there first. ;)

Omac. No, Mason. Uh, it'll be Blakely. Wait a minute, Grant. Yeah, Grant. No, Mason. Wait, definitely Frazier. I really think it'll be Omac. Blakely. Yeah that's the ticket, Blakely. Uhhh....what was the question again?

A lot of folks, including myself, presume that Mason will be the primary back due to his limited use in the A-Day. I think he only had two carries, where he looked like a rocket ship in both, so that could be a telling sign of who the starter is at tailback.

However, Blakely really caught my eye during the spring game, but I've learned that you really can't base anything on A-Day after Cam Newton's spring game. None of us realize the beast we had in Cam based upon A-Day.

Oh goodness no, you can't put too much stock into A-Day, because that's a watered down scrimmage put on purely as a show for the fans. The fact that I think Blakely has the best chance to become the primary back has absolutely nothing to do with A-Day.

The point about Mason only getting a couple of carries is an extremely good one, however, and he might well end up being the main guy. He certainly has the talent...I still remember being amazed at how well he ran through traffic and avoided defenders in high school. And considering how well this staff keeps things under wraps, the fact that I haven't heard anything concrete about who will start doesn't necessarily mean anything, even as closely as I keep up with it.

I agree with you - I think Mason will be our primary back coming out of the gate, but er'body better watch out for Blakely as the season progresses because I think he'll ultimately be "the man" as the season draws to an end due to his explosiveness and home run hitting ability.

Archived