Top 5 AU runs, EVER!

Wareagletd

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great old highlights in this vid, even Golf may remember seeing some of these live!  ;D

Golf remembers seeing runs from before video was invented. You should hear him talk about drinking games with George Petrie...

Didn't see many of them live but saw most of them on the following Sunday afternoon during the Auburn Football Review. :)

Ok my personal favorite, total game changer.

I'll never for get that Calvin Jackson pick 6 against the Gators in 1993. After years and years of watching AU football so much emotional investment, I think that play changed an entire season more than any other AU play I can remember. Without that play, I think AU loses 3-4 games in 1993 and may have not even ended the season ranked. That 1993 team needed to believe in itself after horribly disappointing seasons for most of those players careers (1990, 1991, 1992). The 1993 team was not dominant, but that single play was the catalyst for everything that happened after. Without it, I do not think we beat Florida, Vandy, Arky, or Bama that year.

I remember sitting in the stadium that day. Leading up to the game, their was very cautious hope and optimism that maybe, we could compete with the Spurrier juggernaut. But Florida was on the verge of blowing us out and humiliating us when that play happened. It changed everything that year. JH was losing its mind from that play until the winning fg against UF that day. 3 years of frustration came out in that game and it was a deafening JH from that play on that day.

First of all, I know he's no longer exactly in the good graces of AU fans, but how has Dyer's bowling ball run in the NC game not been mentioned?

Other than that, the Steven Davis TD run in the 93 Iron Bowl to ice it (or, as the commentator said on the highlight tape, he "put his signature on it") and Bo Over the Top are the only ones that come to mind.

While it was a neat play, there honestly wasn't a lot of skill  in that run. He was tackled after a marginal gain, and his knee happened to not touch. It was memorable, but not a great, highly skilled run in my opinion. 

First of all, I know he's no longer exactly in the good graces of AU fans, but how has Dyer's bowling ball run in the NC game not been mentioned?

Other than that, the Steven Davis TD run in the 93 Iron Bowl to ice it (or, as the commentator said on the highlight tape, he "put his signature on it") and Bo Over the Top are the only ones that come to mind.

While it was a neat play, there honestly wasn't a lot of skill  in that run. He was tackled after a marginal gain, and his knee happened to not touch. It was memorable, but not a great, highly skilled run in my opinion.  

While I understand and agree to some extent, he doesn't keep his knee off the ground and keep running without superior balance. Besides, this is "Top 5 AU runs", not "5 most difficult AU runs"; has there been a significantly bigger run in Auburn's history than the one that set up the National Championship winning field goal? I don't know that it should be in the top 5, but I think it at least deserves mention.

However, to be honest, the first run that came to mind was the Go Crazy Cadillac run, but that one was already mentioned.

I think a lot of Bo's and Fullwoods runs would get more mention if we could all remember the specifics of some of them better.

I will say one I do remember, and I am almost positive it was in 1983, was one against Alabama when Bo started one way on a sweep, reversed field the other way, got around the end and took it about 75 yards for a TD. I believe Bo had over 200 yards through 3 quarters against Bama in 1983 until a torrential downpour essentially ended all offense early in the 4th (for both teams). Also, I think Bo had well over 200 in 1985 against Bama when he and Gene Jelks both ran wild. I've never watched a replay of that game and never will though. Tore my heart out as a little kid.

That said, the most memorable one that I can actually remember fairly well is the James Bostic run against bama in 1993. That one sealed the deal and capped the perfect season. And when he broke through the line, he had no business out running the bama DBs. It should have only been a 15-20 yard run at best but Bostic found a gear I doubt he ever did before or after and made it happen.

I believe Bo had 2 runs in 83 where he reversed field and if memory serves me had 250 yards and change. Both of these would make my top 5. He probably would have finished with 300 yards if weather permitted offense in the 4th quarter.

I believe Bo had 2 runs in 83 where he reversed field and if memory serves me had 250 yards and change. Both of these would make my top 5. He probably would have finished with 300 yards if weather permitted offense in the 4th quarter.

Yep, I believe that was the most impressive game Bo ever had at AU. I just remember early 4th quarter, Bo had 200+ yards rushing and was averaging over 20 yards a carry. :bow:

Then the skys opened up in a torrential downpour and I am not sure if either team scored a point in the 4th quarter.

Found a link to Bo's second long run of about 70 yards in the '83 game. Some funny quotes in the article as well talking about the "biblical rainstorm/tornado" that was the 4th quarter of that game.

Bo had 246 yards on 16 carries with 2 TD runs of 65+ yards late in the 3rd quarter.

Keith Jackson on the second long run in the 3rd quarter and deciding TD of the game, verbatim:

"Randy Campbell gives to Bo Jackson. Jackson is on his way. Good bye. In your face".

Classic Jackson call.  :happydance:

Link: http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2009/11/the-1983-iron-bowl-recap-half-the-second/

One more post (I keep reading these old articles now :laugh:)...

Random AU83 RB stat.

5 runningbacks that carried the ball for AU during the 1983 season were drafted in the NFL. 5! Multiple first rounders, pro-bowlers, super bowl winner, the NFL single season all purpose yards record holder for over a decade, and maybe the greatest athlete ever.

To say the 1983 backfield was loaded just does not do it justice.

1983 runningbacks drafted:

1. Tim Jessie (1984 Chicago Bears)

2. Lionel James (1984 San Diego Chargers)

3. Bo Jackson (1986 Tampa / 1987 Raiders)

4. Brent Fullwood (1987 Green Bay Packers)

5. Tommie Agee (1987 Seattle Seahawks)

Those two runs from the 83 IB were in my top 5.  That was the tornado bowl.

I  think the second run where Bo reversed field and went the other way and scored came right before the bottom fell out of the sky.  It was great timing as it was very hard for either team to move the ball in the driving rain that later came.

In today's world, I am pretty sure  they would have suspended the game. There was a tornado waring in effect for Jefferson county during the game.

Ok my personal favorite, total game changer.

I was there!!!!!! This was my very first Auburn game! I was in 6th grade. We were in the upper deck and it was so loud I had to cover my ears. This was when I completely fell in love with Auburn!

one to add.......James Bostic in 93 iron Bowl.......since no TV for the game the stadium was buzzing more than normal.....I'm positive that the real attendance was greater than the announced for that game.

I was looking for the Bo changes direction against Alabama as described in an earlier post and saw this video

some great runs

1:50

4:00

4:40

I did not find the run I was looking for

Here it is my #1 Auburn run... With the possible exception of Dyers run to clinch the NC  :D

at the 2:00 mark...

Kenny Irons run against LSU in 05 when he was totally wrapped up then magically appeared out of the pile 5 yards down the field and broke it for the score.

I will NEVER forget that play, even though the rest of the game is a little hazy due to some adult beverages. I was in the endzone where he scored and vividly remember him popping out from that pile up and just running away from everyone.

Bo TD run against Georgia in 86. It was not a long run but Bo went through two UGA defenders at the two, one of them, I think, was Will Muschamp. But, I will never forget Al Michaels' comment, "That was a case of man against boys."

Archived