Jamar Travis

TigerWar

Talk about a name you haven't heard in a while.

Well, not since a 4-Star DL out of W.S. Neal High School in Brewton, Alabama when Auburn signed him in Chizik's first class. http://rivals.yahoo.com/auburn/football/recruiting/player-Jamar-Travis-71043

He really hasn't contributed since he signed, but the senior will this season. He's obviously stepped up this spring and impressed the coaching staff. Nice to hear things finally came together for him and the fact that he didn't give up.

This is a quote from BVG regarding Travis -

“Jamar Travis really took great advantage of this spring and really had an impressive spring. Right now in our mind, he’ll play football for us.”

Awesome. Have to admit that I can not remember his name but I did not really keep up with recruiting until Chiz's second year. What a story if he makes a name for himself this season. Even if he walks on in the NFL it would be incredible. Is he a DT?

Awesome. Have to admit that I can not remember his name but I did not really keep up with recruiting until Chiz's second year. What a story if he makes a name for himself this season. Even if he walks on in the NFL it would be incredible. Is he a DT?

Yeah, the rivals link takes you to his profile as a high schooler. Good looking kid. 6'1" 300 pounder and yes, plays DT.

I definitely remember being pumped when Jamar chose us over Tennessee I think.. Wasn't even sure if he was still on the team. Glad he's kept his head up and continued to grind. Hopefully he works his way onto the field some this year.

I definitely remember being pumped when Jamar chose us over Tennessee I think.. Wasn't even sure if he was still on the team. Glad he's kept his head up and continued to grind. Hopefully he works his way onto the field some this year.

Pretty sure it was between us and S. Miss.  He was one of the guys we got on late and somehow pulled.  Another was Emory Blake.  And yes that was the year Tubs got axed, and Chizik took over.

Glad to hear this, but I'm not going to get carried away. We have to remember that Wright and Carter missed all of spring practice and Sigler missed some as well. I'll be pretty surprised if Travis sees much playing time over Whitaker, Blackson, Sigler, Carter, and Wright. He got a lot of playing time in the spring because of injuries. If he still gets that time in the fall, I will be very impressed with how far he has come.

Pretty sure it was between us and S. Miss.  He was one of the guys we got on late and somehow pulled.  Another was Emory Blake.  And yes that was the year Tubs got axed, and Chizik took over.

Just looked it up and you are correct. Don't know where I got Tennessee from.

Glad to hear this, but I'm not going to get carried away. We have to remember that Wright and Carter missed all of spring practice and Sigler missed some as well. I'll be pretty surprised if Travis sees much playing time over Whitaker, Blackson, Sigler, Carter, and Wright. He got a lot of playing time in the spring because of injuries. If he still gets that time in the fall, I will be very impressed with how far he has come.

Why wouldn't you get carried away, BVG is? Common sense tells you that he's not gonna play over Carter, Whitaker, and etc., but he can play with them. Maybe BVG's system fits him better in allowing his light to be finally turned on. Another abled body can't do nothing but help our DL. Besides, BVG said he'll play this fall.

Probably true, but give him credit for taking advantage of an open window of opportunity. I don't know a whole lot about him, except that he has been here long enough to physically be mature and strong... The more players maturing, the better our chances of getting back to a top-ten Auburnesque D.

Who in the heck said that Jamar was better than our starters or even our top backups? No one. BVG simply said that Jamar has stepped up and will definitely be in the rotation.

I remember getting this guy and was excited about it. He kind of got lost in the shuffle with me and I wondered when his day may come. Maybe it's this season. It sounds promising, since CBVG is calling his name.

I agree.  Sounds like coach-speak to me.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Why wouldn't you get carried away, BVG is? Common sense tells you that he's not gonna play over Carter, Whitaker, and etc., but he can play with them. Maybe BVG's system fits him better in allowing his light to be finally turned on. Another abled body can't do nothing but help our DL. Besides, BVG said he'll play this fall.

Well exactly and it could be that he is thriving in the more aggressive BVG system. Given the opening he had in the Spring, he took advantage of it to show the Coaches he should get some playing time. I say way to go JT.

Size may not be everything, but it's startling to see Travis standing next to Wright, Carter etc. He is really undersized compared to these guys but maybe it works out for him. I'm thinking his playing opportunities will probably remain on special teams.

Not to pile on the guy but he's not an inch over 5'11". Maybe even 5'10". I had a class with him when he was a freshman and I can see clean over his head. (I'm 6'1") I just don't think he's big enough to make that much of an impact. It's not impossible though, we all remember Josh Thompson, though Josh was otherworldly strong. Maybe he could be a guy like Nick Gentry for Alabama. Undersized guy who paid his dues for three years, was able to make some plays last year because of savy/quick hands alone.

Not to pile on the guy but he's not an inch over 5'11". Maybe even 5'10". I had a class with him when he was a freshman and I can see clean over his head. (I'm 6'1") I just don't think he's big enough to make that much of an impact. It's not impossible though, we all remember Josh Thompson, though Josh was otherworldly strong. Maybe he could be a guy like Nick Gentry for Alabama. Undersized guy who paid his dues for three years, was able to make some plays last year because of savy/quick hands alone.

Booger McFarland... Short but a terror b/w the hashmarks. 

At the collegiate level, I personally believe that a guy this size can still be a dominant force, esp as a run stopper.

Dude got his redshirt year burned to fair catch a kickoff during some dinky game against a directional school.  I don't think Chiz and the coaching staff had extremely high hopes or expectations for Jamar.

I think a "good spring" for Jamar and "getting playing time in the fall" probably means he's secured his spot as 3rd team DT.  He'll get in on the rotation only if someone gets banged up and/or we get a big lead.

BVG doesn't do coach speak, if you haven't noticed already

^^^Word^^^

Guest jrljr

Thank You Jonesy!!! Glad I finished reading this thread before I responded to this. CBVG says what he means and means what he says!

:pcprobs:

Archived