Lets talk about clemson game

Guest Tigereagle03

Why on earth would anyone predict us to lose 5 games this year ? Schedule is waaay more favorable this year. Bama will be down. Arky will be down (coaching issues) LSU will be about the same. Jawja will be about the same.

Agreed for the most part, though I would say that runningbacks and O-Line are at a mostly level status until we see what they can do on the field.

I really don't understand how people think our Oline will be "about the same "as last year. We actually have more returning experience and a TON more talent. Replacing A.J. Green( bless his heart) and B. Mosely( converted Jr. college tight end) with blue chips Robinson and Mack/ Westerman... If those guys aren't an upgrade then I question what Grimes is doing. Not to mention Dismukes, Slade, and Sullen will all have a full years worth of experience under their belts. Next year's line HAS to be better than the '11 line.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Offensive line - Improved

Defensive line - Greatly Improved

Linebackers - Improved

Running Backs - Improved (Yeah I know Dyer is gone but we are way deeper)

Quarterback - Improved

Kicking - Improved

Recievers - Improved

Secondary - Greatly Improved

Why on earth would anyone predict us to lose 5 games this year ? Schedule is waaay more favorable this year. Bama will be down. Arky will be down (coaching issues) LSU will be about the same. Jawja will be about the same.

You will see more improvement from Auburn in one year than any team in the conference....Just my opinion.

I agree.

Auburn is going to impress.

Our recruiting efforts are about to show up.

I think some are underestimating Clemson. I don't think it will be easy and I think they have just as much talent as we do

No question Clemson is more experienced and has great talent @ skill positions. the offfensive coaches will study just why Clemson gave up a hundred points at their bowl, but the fact is that the guys who get paid to predict have placed Clemson as solid favorites-

I think some are underestimating Clemson. I don't think it will be easy and I think they have just as much talent as we do

Personally I know I'm not underestimating them.  I don't think we'll run over them or anything, should prove to be a good game.  I do feel that it's a game we should win though.

No doubt Clemson will be a tough game.  If I were an impartial "expert", I would probably put my money on Clemson too.  When you evaluate the two programs from a distance, Clemson would appear to have the upper hand.

That being said, as an Auburn fan and someone who has been closely watching this program for many years, the momentum is evident and potential is sky high for the 2012 Auburn Tigers.  I beleive that the new coordinators will be a blessing to our team and help of this program return to the top of the SEC.

I'm looking for a great game, but ultimately an Auburn victory in the Georgia Dome!!

I don't think they have just as much talent as we do, but I do think they pose a great challenge. They are the type of team that if they get up, they can put the pedal to the metal and run by you fast (which is what happened to us last year; we were dominating them before they were able to turn it around), and seeing the amount of confidence from the fans here does make me worry, but (1) this year we are the ones with revenge on our minds; (2) it's being played in the Dome, so no home field for Clemson this time around; (3) they lost most of both lines, and in case you haven't heard, games are won in the trenches; (4) we return all of the defensive line and 3/5 on the offensive line, and in case you haven't heard, games are won in the trenches.

I feel pretty good about our chances. That is not at all to say we are sure to win this game, only that I like our odds a lot more than the people making the odds in Vegas.

If we play solid D and play keep away with the football, and keep it slow..we win by 6-10...we need to control and wear em down ..

I don't think they have just as much talent as we do, but I do think they pose a great challenge. They are the type of team that if they get up, they can put the pedal to the metal and run by you fast (which is what happened to us last year; we were dominating them before they were able to turn it around), and seeing the amount of confidence from the fans here does make me worry, but (1) this year we are the ones with revenge on our minds; (2) it's being played in the Dome, so no home field for Clemson this time around; (3) they lost most of both lines, and in case you haven't heard, games are won in the trenches; (4) we return all of the defensive line and 3/5 on the offensive line, and in case you haven't heard, games are won in the trenches.

I feel pretty good about our chances. That is not at all to say we are sure to win this game, only that I like our odds a lot more than the people making the odds in Vegas.

^^^This

I suspect that last years stats play a large part of the 5 pts and that's prob pretty realistic considering that. They have a very good team. My hope is that our new D will make the difference. We will attack more, that's no secret. The bend but don't break method didn't work well last year for us and I don't think they roll up as many yards on us but we may not shove it down their throat either. I believe it's closer than 5 no matter which way it goes.

With Clemson's change of defense and loss of some of their best talent along the line, Auburn should win this game handily. Clemson will not be able to stop the Auburn running game if there is any passing proficiency at all. Clemson will be running a Nickle type defense most of the game. They will need eight or nine in the box to have a chance of controlling the Auburn rushing attack.

I think Clemson is simply out matched in this one.

I suspect that last years stats play a large part of the 5 pts and that's prob pretty realistic considering that. They have a very good team. My hope is that our new D will make the difference. We will attack more, that's no secret. The bend but don't break method didn't work well last year for us and I don't think they roll up as many yards on us but we may not shove it down their throat either. I believe it's closer than 5 no matter which way it goes.

I actually think the game will be decided by more than a touchdown unless one team makes a really late score and has to go for the onsides kick.

If you look at it objectively I say we win because we have more depth.We can say things like they can't stop our run but we couldn't stop theirs either, or pass. Clemson has been upgrading talent like we have so losing some of their guys with experience hurts but they are being replaced by guys who are younger but more talented I.e. us with guys like Robinson, frost, Florence. That freshman d end was starting by the end of last year. They have 3 5 star linebackers who have a year under their belt those guys were 225 coming out of high school they are probably pretty strong and talented not a given that they suck. Also they are in the second year of that o, they should have alot of improvement. I'm thinking losing Allen will hurt them a bit, it like us if we lost lutz. Red ur reply to me was good stuff until u started the in case u haven't heard stuff. Then I lost interest didn't see ur point. But I hope they just can't keep up because of a lower level of talent of back ups. A problem we had last year.

For some reason, I see the Clemson game outcome similar to our bowl game. The key is going to be QB play. Trotter did an excellent job last year and if Kiehl can show that kind of poise, we win by two TDs!

If you look at it objectively I say we win because we have more depth.We can say things like they can't stop our run but we couldn't stop theirs either, or pass. Clemson has been upgrading talent like we have so losing some of their guys with experience hurts but they are being replaced by guys who are younger but more talented I.e. us with guys like Robinson, frost, Florence. That freshman d end was starting by the end of last year. They have 3 5 star linebackers who have a year under their belt those guys were 225 coming out of high school they are probably pretty strong and talented not a given that they suck. Also they are in the second year of that o, they should have alot of improvement. I'm thinking losing Allen will hurt them a bit, it like us if we lost lutz. Red ur reply to me was good stuff until u started the in case u haven't heard stuff. Then I lost interest didn't see ur point. But I hope they just can't keep up because of a lower level of talent of back ups. A problem we had last year.

*Sigh* Okay, well, then, games are won and lost in the trenches. What that means is that the offensive and defensive lines generally control the outcome of the game. They lost three starters on their defensive line and three starters on their offensive line. We lost two starters on our offensive line and none on our defensive line. Ergo, we should have a distinct advantage in the trenches.

And, in case you haven't heard, games are generally won or lost in the trenches.

Yeah unless talent is upgraded. Once again we can look at ourselves as an example 2010 fairly first time starter I guess some did feel like we were losing a couple of starters from the year b4 and we would be at a "disadvantage" how many d lines played better than Lsu last year? They had 4 new d line (could say 3 since Adams was a sometime starter) in case u haven't heard seniority doesn't determine talent. Don't be too surprised when their d is better this year than last even though they lost players

But hey ur super sarcastic so obviously your post carry more weight lmbo

Yeah unless talent is upgraded. Once again we can look at ourselves as an example 2010 fairly first time starter I guess some did feel like we were losing a couple of starters from the year b4 and we would be at a "disadvantage" how many d lines played better than Lsu last year? They had 4 new d line (could say 3 since Adams was a sometime starter) in case u haven't heard seniority doesn't determine talent. Don't be too surprised when their d is better this year than last even though they lost players

But hey ur super sarcastic so obviously your post carry more weight lmbo

If my posts carry more weight it is because of the amount of time I have spent here, not because I'm sarcastic, but whatever.

You have a point, and I'm not trying to say that you don't, but we aren't talking about LSU here, we're talking Clemson. It's the first game of the season, three offensive linemen are going to be making their first start against a defensive front that returns every single contributor from a year ago, and three defensive linemen are going to be making their first start against an offensive line that returns three starters. And upgrades the talent at the other two positions.

Even looking at that slanted slightly toward Clemson, their better talent on defensive line is a wash with our better talent (and added experience to boot) on offensive line while their better talent on O-line has to deal with every bit of talent we have on the D-line, all of which is bigger, faster, stronger, and more in tune with the speed of the game than a year ago.

No, seniority doesn't determine talent. But then, talent is not the only thing that is measured in the game of football, and talent doesn't replace experience, either.

But, again, whatever.

Well, with regard to skill position players, they are at least close to on par with us, if not even. It's the lines that I keep coming back to. I mean, the offensive line recruits rated better than three stars are few and far between, so it's hard to imagine that they will replace those starters with anyone who has appreciably more talent.

Good back and forth though; Clemson certainly should not be looked at as a surefire win. I do think we're better, but it's close enough that they can jump up and bite us pretty easily if we aren't prepared.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know where the AU sections are for the game? I looked on the chick fil a website but couldn't find it.

Such a chipper fellow I say.....but all I was saying I think there is a close gap in talent level. I believe we are deeper though.

It's not gonna be a cake-walk for either team.  I think AU wins in the end, and that W is all I want.  Oh, and I'm looking forward to a huge weekend in Hotlanta!!!! :bananadance:

Archived