Summer Evaluation Period

aupops2

The 2014 Auburn recruiting is in high gear already.  This weekend will see the #1 dual QB, D J Gillins, and the #1 pro QB, Tyler Harris, on campus this weekend.

If I may use some of my Big Bang Theory dorkyness here, That is called The Loefler Effect.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 2014 Auburn recruiting is in high gear already.  This weekend will see the #1 dual QB, D J Gillins, and the #1 pro QB, Tyler Harris, on campus this weekend.

If I may use some of my Ni Bang Theory dorkyness here, That is called The Loefler Effect.

The Loeffler Effect:  I like that, ellitor!!  Let's go with it.  He evaluated these two this spring, but he also evaluated Jacob Park from Goose Creek, SC, and may be higher on him than the other two.  He will visit next week.  I'm betting we have a 2014 QB commit in the not too distant future.

As we enter the Summer evaluation period, both the OL and RB positions are becoming clearer.  On the offensive line, we are only going to take two, either true guards or a center/guard combo.  K Rodgers will be one guard; he will commit no later than June 30.  The other guard/center should come from a small list of Tyrone Crowder ( low interest now, but that could change over the summer), Wilson Bell, Caleb Benenoch (my favorite), Ramsey Meyers, or Austin Droogsma.  RB: we have got to consider taking two now.  Top priority is a big back; will come by June 30 from Jordan Wilkins or Tyshon Dye.  Second back, if one is taken, could come from two directions: First, we would take Derrick Green at any time; second, we could take a smaller, quicker kid like Ryan Green or Tarean Folston.

As we enter the Summer evaluation period, both the OL and RB positions are becoming clearer.  On the offensive line, we are only going to take two, either true guards or a center/guard combo.  K Rodgers will be one guard; he will commit no later than June 30.  The other guard/center should come from a small list of Tyrone Crowder ( low interest now, but that could change over the summer), Wilson Bell, Caleb Benenoch (my favorite), Ramsey Meyers, or Austin Droogsma.  RB: we have got to consider taking two now.  Top priority is a big back; will come by June 30 from Jordan Wilkins or Tyshon Dye.  Second back, if one is taken, could come from two directions: First, we would take Derrick Green at any time; second, we could take a smaller, quicker kid like Ryan Green or Tarean Folston.

I love these "state of recruiting" posts from Pops. Good work as always.  :we:

I'm not seeing us take two backs, but you're right that it's between Dye and Wilkins; my guess at this point is Wilkins, and I rather expect it will be in the next couple of weeks that he commits. Good update on the OL; you seem to know more about what's going on there than I do, but the names I remember hearing are Rodgers, Crowder, and Droogsma, so tifwiw.

Pops, why do you think its so prevalent that Auburn takes two backs? Especially a big back at that? I think we would need a smaller quicker back (if loeffler still plans on using them when Omac leaves). I thought our stable was mostly illed with biggerr backs now...? Is this because you think Blakely might leave us...TIA

Pops, why do you think its so prevalent that Auburn takes two backs? Especially a big back at that? I think we would need a smaller quicker back (if loeffler still plans on using them when Omac leaves). I thought our stable was mostly illed with biggerr backs now...? Is this because you think Blakely might leave us...TIA

Pro-style uses less of the scat back and more power. We would likely substitute multiple TE sets for the passes out of the backfield.

It's not that its what Pops thinks on 2 backs. It's what Auburn recruiting analysts are reporting. As for big back all of our backs minus OMac can run between the tackles but JRob is our only true Big Back in terms of size.

I love these "state of recruiting" posts from Pops. Good work as always.  :we:

Thanks, ellitor.  WDE!!

At 6'-4" 291 lbs, couldn't we take Derwin Grey as a Guard and not Tackle as he is listed?

Excellent, excellent question!!  I started to mention that as a possibility, plus Gray has a lot of pull with Yannick Ngekoue should we go that route.  I would love for Gray to take that second slot.

Pops, why do you think its so prevalent that Auburn takes two backs? Especially a big back at that? I think we would need a smaller quicker back (if loeffler still plans on using them when Omac leaves). I thought our stable was mostly illed with bigger backs now...? Is this because you think Blakely might leave us...TIA

If you look at "spacing", we right now have four backs with only two years spacing (excluding Omac), and we only took one last year thanks to Mr. Alphabet.  And, like so many other positions, we have top quality kids lining up to play for us. We're going to have some attrition; just don't know from where, but we'll have it.

At 6'-4" 291 lbs, couldn't we take Derwin Grey as a Guard and not Tackle as he is listed?

Excellent, excellent question!!  I started to mention that as a possibility, plus Gray has a lot of pull with Yannick Ngekoue should we go that route.  I would love for Gray to take that second slot.

I would do the same Pops, take Rogers and Gray and be done. CJG likes to train his line across multiple positions anyways. An yes, having that in road with YN is great. I hate to call him a backup plan because of how good he is, but if RF doesn't work out than that is a nice ace in the hole.

I would do the same Pops, take Rogers and Gray and be done. CJG likes to train his line across multiple positions anyways. An yes, having that in road with YN is great. I hate to call him a backup plan because of how good he is, but if RF doesn't work out than that is a nice ace in the hole.

Off on 2 letters. Don't you mean CGC?

CJG = Coach Jeff Grimes?

CJG = Coach Jeff Grimes?

my bad. Those were the letters typed the other day when a poster was joked on about gettinf Chizik wtong. Maybe he meant Grimes too?  :dunno:

CJG = Coach Jeff Grimes?

my bad. Those were the letters typed the other day when a poster was joked on about gettinf Chizik wtong. Maybe he meant Grimes too?  :dunno:

You would be incorrect. Poster typed CJC - Coach Jean Chizik. ;D

Was not the first and will be the last time for me.

Was not the first and will be the last time for me.

Me neither, a very smart man told me once, "If you're not screwin' up, you're not tryin' hard enough. :)

Speaking with regards to offensive line recruits, CJG would be Coach Jeff Grimes.

Excellent, excellent question!! I started to mention that as a possibility, plus Gray has a lot of pull with Yannick Ngekoue should we go that route. I would love for Gray to take that second slot.

it.

Speaking with regards to offensive line recruits, CJG would be Coach Jeff Grimes.

Thanks for the clarification.

Safety is the most puzzling position we have right now, IMO.  We have Tray Matthews, who is committed to uga.  Then there's Vonn Bell, and no one seems to get a read on him, except that maybe utk is a lean. Lemond Johnson seemed to be a hot name last week, and that may still be the case.  We need two safeties in this class, and the coaches don't want a hybrid corner/safety, they want a hard-hitting, big ( 6 ft, plus), type.  During spring evaluation, I didn't see any information to indicate where we are going.  Marcel Harris from Dr. Phillips is one possibility, another is Jamal Carter from Miami Southbridge.  Then there's Antonio Conner from Batesville, Ms.

look above. AuburnArch corrected my mistake.

Actually, Coach Grimes now feels, for whatever reason, that OTs are OTs and nothing else unless a drastic situation such as injuries at other positions forces a move.  Guards and center are interchangeable to a point, but a pro or west coast offense dictates very specific, and different, skills at each position.  I'm really interested to see how the move of Barrett Jones to center works out; seems to me to be a move based on personnel (skill at OT) and lack of skill at center.  He will probably be ok, but that's the kind of move we'd like to avoid.  Right now, if Reece goes down, we have a problem.  Same at guard to a point.  Most of our guys are natural tackles, and that is why we are tarketing guards only right now.  But it appears Gray could be a guard, based on size alone, but I don't know about his other skillset.

Jacob Park, 2014 QB from Goose Creek, SC, is visiting us this week or weekend.  Many think he is #1 on Coach Loeffler's list for next week, even ahead of the two #1 ranked dual and pro QBs that visited last week.

Archived