Summer Evaluation Period

aupops2

In reading other threads about the QB evaluation process, and getting valuable info from kk and flexbone on how the dominos fell, everything makes perfect sense now.  The end result is we got a very physically-gifted kid with great measurables, who loves Auburn with a passion,  possesses a tremendous desire to win, has instinctive leadership skills, and will be tutored by one of the best QB mentors in the college football world.  Plus, with our current roster of QBs, he should have time to hone those skills into a polished quarterback.  Spock would love this "logical" decision!!

Well said pops, I am 100% behind JJ and all the other 8 commits so far. Hopefully we will get a few more by this time next week.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evaluation continues, with more trips and new names emerging.  OB is done, so now for us its RB and defensive backfield at the center of the eye, with WR close behind.  RB: Wilkins and Dye still at the top, but who shows this weekend, if any, will be telling.  I know you guys don't like bringing the dark side successes onto this site, but something is going on that is revelant to us, and I'm the OP anyway, so I'm gonna go there.  They already have two top ten commits, Jones and Tenpenny, and top ATH Stewart; now they are taking a run at Derrick Henry, 5* uga ATH commit.  But Alvin Kamara was thought to be a uat lean at one point.  Since we are clearly only going to take one QB, maybe we go after 2 RBs; one big one (Wilkins or Dye) and one speed back.  Also, I keep going back to the Foster, Matthews, Kamara play-together pact;  wouldn't it be great if they all played for us!!  Kamara is now getting more and more offers, the latest from Oregon.  BTW, why do you think uat is trying to sign so many ball-toters this year?

Curious:  Coach Grimes in Houston evaluating a 3* DL, Hardreck Walker.  Curious as why our OL coach (I know they have territories) is looking at a DL;  I was thinking we had our sights and felt good about two or three higher-rated targets, which should fill our needs this year.  Only the coaches really know, but again, this weekend couls be very telling.

Evaluation continues, with more trips and new names emerging.  OB is done, so now for us its RB and defensive backfield at the center of the eye, with WR close behind.  RB: Wilkins and Dye still at the top, but who shows this weekend, if any, will be telling.  I know you guys don't like bringing the dark side successes onto this site, but something is going on that is revelant to us, and I'm the OP anyway, so I'm gonna go there.  They already have two top ten commits, Jones and Tenpenny, and top ATH Stewart; now they are taking a run at Derrick Henry, 5* uga ATH commit.  But Alvin Kamara was thought to be a uat lean at one point.  Since we are clearly only going to take one QB, maybe we go after 2 RBs; one big one (Wilkins or Dye) and one speed back.  Also, I keep going back to the Foster, Matthews, Kamara play-together pact;  wouldn't it be great if they all played for us!!  Kamara is now getting more and more offers, the latest from Oregon.  BTW, why do you think uat is trying to sign so many ball-toters this year?

Pop, the only reason I can think of Bama looking at so many RB's would be if they are going to run some of their existing stable off the team. That is always a popular thought on our site. Processing players out of the program to get better players in. The only other thought is that several of their backs may opt for the NFL after next football season.

WR:  Trooper evaluated the mustard man, Dijon Paschal of Tallasee, which many would like to see us pursue.  I don't think we are at all settled on that second or third WR slot right now.  We've looked hard at Travis Johnson, but so has a lot of other high-profile programs; we've recently taken a run at Marquez North, but again, so has everyone else.  Tony Whitehead is supposed to be at BCW.  With the recent news on Melvin Ray, I bet we only take two with our limited numbers.

DB:  I keep saying this, but it'll be interesting to see who shows this weekend.  We know Kamyrn Melton will be here, but who else will show? Vonn Bell, Cortez Leonard, Jalen Ramsey (who just won the state decathelon championship), Trey Matthews (don't think he'll show, but that won't mean a whole lot).  One interesting one is Noel Ellis ( Standish Dobard's teammate); his offer list is blowing up now.  But somehow I feel Coach Martinez is still evaluating a lot of kids right now.

BTW, why do you think uat is trying to sign so many ball-toters this year?

Very good question.  I don't see it as them planning for early NFL exits, or "processing."  Dee Hart with his injury and the strong showing by TJY this spring would be the most likely to not stick around, but that's just guessing on my part.  Besides "processing," the other answer is to keep others from getting them.    :banghead:

Very good question.  I don't see it as them planning for early NFL exits, or "processing."  Dee Hart with his injury and the strong showing by TJY this spring would be the most likely to not stick around, but that's just guessing on my part.  Besides "processing," the other answer is to keep others from getting them.    :banghead:

Derrick Henry is big enough and can play LB, so they may not be looking at him exclusively as a RB. And like you mentioned, when you oversign like Saban does, denying talent to your rivals is a natural fallout.  Since you don't have enough scholarships to keep everyone, you keep the ones that are in your best interest to keep but know that your rivals have very little chance of making use of your discards.  They typically go out of conference and most likely step down to a lower division where they don't lose a year of eligibility.

If Bama is trying to sign peopel so we do not get them....what kind of thinking is that?  That may not be workiing all the well for them if that is what they are doing. Cory Grant comes to mind.

Curious:  Coach Grimes in Houston evaluating a 3* DL, Hardreck Walker.  Curious as why our OL coach (I know they have territories) is looking at a DL;  I was thinking we had our sights and felt good about two or three higher-rated targets, which should fill our needs this year.  Only the coaches really know, but again, this weekend couls be very telling.

first - he may be really, really good and a possibility in lieu of some the higher ranked guys.  seondly - i would guess that is a big school, with future talent and we want to be seen around there.  with Tam coming to the sec, we may have additional texas opportunities than previously - particularly with grimes and lupers connections in the state.

I don't know for sure but it could be that we project him at OG. Some of our best guards in recent memory played on the DL in high school. Ben Grubbs, Tyronne Green and Timmy Duckworth to name a few...

I don't know for sure but it could be that we project him at OG. Some of our best guards in recent memory played on the DL in high school. Ben Grubbs, Tyronne Green and Timmy Duckworth to name a few...

Grubbs played linebacker when we played them. I should know. He leveled me a few times when I tried to block him.

He also played fullback and tight end on offense. Dude was always a stud.

WR:  Trooper evaluated the mustard man, Dijon Paschal of Tallasee, which many would like to see us pursue.  I don't think we are at all settled on that second or third WR slot right now.  We've looked hard at Travis Johnson, but so has a lot of other high-profile programs; we've recently taken a run at Marquez North, but again, so has everyone else.  Tony Whitehead is supposed to be at BCW.  With the recent news on Melvin Ray, I bet we only take two with our limited numbers.

I personally think we'll take three, with Jason Smith and Isaiah Jones leading right now. We might have a hard time fending off FSU for Jones, with FSU being his early favorite, but him attending BCW could be monumental. I do know that he is planning on making a decision soon.

Ah yeah, that makes sense!!  Thanks.

I don't think, right now, we have a clue who is going to fill out the class at DB, WR, or OL.  The latter I'm not worried about (see Coach Grimes), and the others are just too complicated.  I'm going to bed.

I don't think, right now, we have a clue who is going to fill out the class at DB, WR, or OL.  The latter I'm not worried about (see Coach Grimes), and the others are just too complicated.  I'm going to bed.

I agree. I'm not really worried about any of them, because I have every confidence that we'll sign what we need, but there are so many prospects on the board that it's hard to know which ones the coaches want most.

I've made several posts about Jalen Ramsey recently;  state decathalon champion, winner of 100 and 200 meter hurdles, 4* DB from my hometown, now the ultimate honor; just offerred a football scholarship by .......... :devil:

Caleb Benenoch (OG, MSU commit) rapidly adding to his offer list.  Travis Johnson(WR) seems to be on everyone's top target list now. 

I've made several posts about Jalen Ramsey recently;  state decathalon champion, winner of 100 and 200 meter hurdles, 4* DB from my hometown, now the ultimate honor; just offerred a football scholarship by .......... :devil:

Would we simply stay clear of someone, just because of their last name? But seriously, especially being from Brentwood, I can't imagine why we wouldn't recruit him very heavily. He is an elite prospect, IMO.

Post BCW, our coaches' evaluations will center on offensive guards, led by Coach Grimes, and safeties, led by Coaches Van Gorder and Martinez.  Evaluation-wise, we know our targets, ranked in order, at the other positions and all we got to do now is get'im in.  There's good work, however, to do at those other two positions.

Post BCW, our coaches' evaluations will center on offensive guards, led by Coach Grimes, and safeties, led by Coaches Van Gorder and Martinez.  Evaluation-wise, we know our targets, ranked in order, at the other positions and all we got to do now is get'im in.  There's good work, however, to do at those other two positions.

Are the target lists public?

I actually would like to see us hold off on further commitments at WR, DB, ATH, and even OG until kids can be evaluated at camps and during their Senior seasons.  We just don't have the space for a "project" or "up and comer" at this point.  Without mentioning names, there are a couple being thrown out, mostly under-rated, that would commit if offerred, and while we are prone to go the instant gratification route, IMO it would be better to hold off until much later in the year.  That does not include Adams, Foster, Bowers, or any of the three RBs.  That said, some 2014 commits  would be real nice right now to make us all feel better.  This evaluation process is so important, especially when you have coaches that know what they are looking for.

I actually would like to see us hold off on further commitments at WR, DB, ATH, and even OG until kids can be evaluated at camps and during their Senior seasons.  We just don't have the space for a "project" or "up and comer" at this point.  Without mentioning names, there are a couple being thrown out, mostly under-rated, that would commit if offerred, and while we are prone to go the instant gratification route, IMO it would be better to hold off until much later in the year.  That does not include Adams, Foster, Bowers, or any of the three RBs.  That said, some 2014 commits  would be real nice right now to make us all feel better.  This evaluation process is so important, especially when you have coaches that know what they are looking for.

As long as the coaches are comfortable with extending a committable offer, I'm fine with it, but I agree with the sentiment. I'm not concerned with who we get committed right now; I'm concerned with who actually ends up at Auburn.

As long as the coaches are comfortable with extending a committable offer, I'm fine with it, but I agree with the sentiment. I'm not concerned with who we get committed right now; I'm concerned with who actually ends up at Auburn.

Plus if we go to an early signing period soon, which seems to be the case, we can't just sit back and wait. We have to to what our coaches do best. Get out there early and evaluate! evaluate! evaluate!

The 2014 Auburn recruiting is in high gear already.  This weekend will see the #1 dual QB, D J Gillins, and the #1 pro QB, Tyler Harris, on campus this weekend.

Archived