Summer Evaluation Period

aupops2

We apparently aren't satsified at WR right now, because we just offered Marquez North,4* Clemson lean from NC and Coach Loeffler just evaluated Kyrin Priester, uga commit.  Both are big, tall kids, just like Travis Johnson. 

Thanks for the update. Until our talented yet unproven receivers (Blake aside) I look for this to continue. Receiver is tougher than people think. They gotta develop chemistry with the QB, run routes well, be fast, have good hands, and the most underrated aspect: hold the block on the outside successfully!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some interesting movement today, the last official day of Evaluation Period, even though it will continue until May 1.  Noel Ellis, CB, teammate of Standish Dobard, received two more offers, from Houston and Arizona State.  He has received several offers the past few weeks, but there has to be a reason LSU isn't hard after these guys.  Something must be going on with Marquez North, 4* uga WR commit, he received a ND offer today, along with ine from us.  Watch out for Caleb Benenoch, MSU commit, OG, who was evaluated by Stanford today.  The OL Coach at Stanford is the only one nationally who can go toe-to-toe with Coach Grimes, but there has to be a reason for us and Stanford to both offer him. 

Kirby Smart visited Trey Johnson's high school today.  Anybody else find that interesting?

Kirby Smart visited Trey Johnson's high school today.  Anybody else find that interesting?

I hope it's a vain attempt to drum up interest with Trey, but I remember reading a quote from Trey's coach about how connected to Dee Liner he was so I hope this isn't some master plan to flip our best recruits.  It also could be Smart looking at the young running back at Trey's high school.

They're trying to find a replacement for Foster! We're getting both!  :wedance:  :laugh:

I hope it's a vain attempt to drum up interest with Trey, but I remember reading a quote from Trey's coach about how connected to Dee Liner he was so I hope this isn't some master plan to flip our best recruits.  It also could be Smart looking at the young running back at Trey's high school.

You could be right, but I would ask why you send a DC to evaluate a RB.  I know, certain coaches have certain territories and all, just sayin'. 

Recruiting status, 5/19:  Grades by position.  QB: B+ if we get Rettig or Buchanan, B- if we get Johnson, C- if we don't get any.  Not a failing grade, because we could go without, but not the best situation.  RB: A- if we get Dye or Wilkins: OL: A-A+, whoever Coach Grimes gets ( Benenoch, Pocic, Gray, Meyers), but with CJG, no lower than an A.  WR: A-, Robinson plus one or two of Travis Johnson, Marquez North, or Issac Jones. TE: A+ if we get Howard or Dobard.  DL: A++ if we get Adams, Bower, or Walker, A+ if we don't.  LB: A+ if we get Foster or Ngakoue, A if we don't.  DB: A+-C:  Probably as unsettled as any position right now, because there are so many opportunities (Bell, Leonard, Hargreaves, Matthews, Ramsey, Elllis), but hard to get a read on any of them. K- A+.  PK- Unknown

The Spring evaluation period is so important. Some kids that are virtual unknowns will make names for themselves and become some of the most heavily recruited prospects in the country.

Some of these kids play at smaller schools and got overlooked, or some never attended camps to get recognized.

I've been watching film of some of these kids that the bigger programs are making late offers to. I like some of them better than some of the ones we already know about with 4 and 5 stars by their names.

Carl Lawson is kinda a late bloomer or became noticed late in his own right. He had no offers before December 2011, and now he is one of the most heavily recruited prospects in the entire country.

Alabama signed a kid a couple of years back named Adrian Hubbard. His stock rose late and he became a ESPNU 150 player from out of nowhere.

That is part of the beauty of recruiting. It's not so important where a kid is rated in mid-May, as to where he will be come signing day 2013.

The Spring evaluation period is so important. Some kids that are virtual unknowns will make names for themselves and become some of the most heavily recruited prospects in the country.

Some of these kids play at smaller schools and got overlooked, or some never attended camps to get recognized.

I've been watching film of some of these kids that the bigger programs are making late offers to. I like some of them better than some of the ones we already know about with 4 and 5 stars by their names.

Carl Lawson is kinda a late bloomer or became noticed late in his own right. He had no offers before December 2011, and now he is one of the most heavily recruited prospects in the entire country.

Alabama signed a kid a couple of years back named Adrian Hubbard. His stock rose late and he became a ESPNU 150 player from out of nowhere.

That is part of the beauty of recruiting. It's not so important where a kid is rated in mid-May, as to where he will be come signing day 2013.

So true.  This snapshot could look very different on NSD, both name and star-rating wise.  We already are on a few up and coming kids, such as Benenoch and Meyers.  Also, many think Melton is rising, and Jarad Davis can only go upward.  Watch out for Noel Ellis, and I believe Travis Johnson is underrated at this time.  Both Buchanan and Rettig (id his knee is okay) should be 4* easily by NSD.  Ngakoue should be a 4* now, IMO.

One kid i really like from his limited video Pops, is CB Adrian Baker. He is unrated by Rivals but he looks very impressive with a nice offer sheet. Including an offer from Auburn. Baker got that Miami "Swag", and i believe he'll make someone a nice shutdown corner.

Buchanan camping at UF the first weekend in June.  I think he is Coach Loeffler's first choice now but the "other" schools who need a QB worse than we do have realized this kid's talent.  I believe we're in for a battle if he doesn't commit at BCW.  On the other hand, CSL could have already decided on Rettig anyway.  Lot of variables.

Recruiting status, 5/19:  Grades by position.  QB: B+ if we get Rettig or Buchanan, B- if we get Johnson, C- if we don't get any.  Not a failing grade, because we could go without, but not the best situation.   RB: A- if we get Dye or Wilkins: OL: A-A+, whoever Coach Grimes gets ( Benenoch, Pocic, Gray, Meyers), but with CJG, no lower than an A.  WR: A-, Robinson plus one or two of Travis Johnson, Marquez North, or Issac Jones. TE: A+ if we get Howard or Dobard.  DL: A++ if we get Adams, Bower, or Walker, A+ if we don't.  LB: A+ if we get Foster or Ngakoue, A if we don't.  DB: A+-C:  Probably as unsettled as any position right now, because there are so many opportunities (Bell, Leonard, Hargreaves, Matthews, Ramsey, Elllis), but hard to get a read on any of them. K- A+.  PK- Unknown

I think Rettig might well have been the top choice all along, and if we get him and his knee rebounds, I'd give us an A at QB.

As for DB, I'd like to see us sign a top safety, but we really don't need much there one way or the other. Therezie, Florence, Whitehead, Rose, and Mincy are all sophomores, plus Holsey, Jones, and Davis...we're pretty stacked with underclassmen DBs.

Buchanan camping at UF the first weekend in June.  I think he is Coach Loeffler's first choice now but the "other" schools who need a QB worse than we do have realized this kid's talent.  I believe we're in for a battle if he doesn't commit at BCW.  On the other hand, CSL could have already decided on Rettig anyway.  Lot of variables.

As you can tell from JJ's commitment, I am on the cutting edge of recruiting info!! :-X :-\

As you can tell from JJ's commitment, I am on the cutting edge of recruiting info!! :-X :-\

:laugh:

no worries, we just chalk it up to age.

Since we offerred, the recruitment of Jordan Wilkins has sky-rocketed.  Makes me think the evaluation process is one that Coach Chizik and company take very seriously, and are very good at it.  Also, if J Johnson's comments about what Coach Loeffler said to him are accurate, the QB commit was JJ's unless one of the others graded better in the evaluation period.  And, as Orange and Blue pointed out, they are continuing to evaluate, especially at DB, Safety, and OL.  Based on Coaches VBG and Martinez comments on early ratings, look for some unknown prospects to emerge at those positions, and we all know how Coach Grimes approaches the OL recruitment.  Unlike others, I think the coaches are looking for different types of safeties than we currently have; not to take away from the ones we got, but if you aren't willing to stick it to someone, you'd better start figuring it out.

Jalen Ramsey of Brentwood Academy, Tn., just won 4 events in state track meet.  100m., 200., broad jump and one other.  Man, I hope he and Max Staver come to BCW!!

Since we offerred, the recruitment of Jordan Wilkins has sky-rocketed.  Makes me think the evaluation process is one that Coach Chizik and company take very seriously, and are very good at it.  Also, if J Johnson's comments about what Coach Loeffler said to him are accurate, the QB commit was JJ's unless one of the others graded better in the evaluation period.  And, as Orange and Blue pointed out, they are continuing to evaluate, especially at DB, Safety, and OL.  Based on Coaches VBG and Martinez comments on early ratings, look for some unknown prospects to emerge at those positions, and we all know how Coach Grimes approaches the OL recruitment.  Unlike others, I think the coaches are looking for different types of safeties than we currently have; not to take away from the ones we got, but if you aren't willing to stick it to someone, you'd better start figuring it out.

I think word is out about the AU coaches' ability to evaluate talent...

For right now (which is becoming a favorite phrase nowadays; see Rueben Foster threads), we are done at QB, just as JJ said and was told.  He is also aware that a lot can happen between now and NSD.  So don't look for any more QB movement anytime soon.  Ryan Buchanan is now looking like an OM/UF battle; OU is now pursuing Rettig as a "back-up" to Cody Thomas.  I still think if Max Staver doesn't get a major offer soon, he will be on our radar later. 

One kid i really like from his limited video Pops, is CB Adrian Baker. He is unrated by Rivals but he looks very impressive with a nice offer sheet. Including an offer from Auburn. Baker got that Miami "Swag", and i believe he'll make someone a nice shutdown corner.

Yes, he is getting some interest, along with Ahmad Thomas, 4* safety out of South Florida.  The thing that is really amazing to me is that there is so much talent in the State of Florida, these unrated kids may wind up higher on the board as the season progresses.  Also, UM seems to be a leader or in the hunt for most of the remaining prospects.  Several FSU and UF commits say privately that UM is their favorite, but they are afraid to commit until the NCAA decides what penalties will be levied.  The school doesn't even have a real campus or stadium, yet they seem to attract the best.  I guess one trip to South Beach takes care of all the negatives.

Jalen Ramsey of Brentwood Academy, Tn., just won 4 events in state track meet.  100m., 200., broad jump and one other.  Man, I hope he and Max Staver come to BCW!!

Don't see Staver coming.  Might be a little awkward with JJ recruiting everyone there except maybe him.  Don't know for sure but my guess is everyone at BCW is a commit or has a committable offer.  Funny that Buchanan had an invite and was coming to BCW before JJ, but the tables got turned somehow. We'll never know. Anyway  no question JJ is the better fit at AU.

Don't see Staver coming.  Might be a little awkward with JJ recruiting everyone there except maybe him.  Don't know for sure but my guess is everyone at BCW is a commit or has a committable offer.  Funny that Buchanan had an invite and was coming to BCW before JJ, but the tables got turned somehow. We'll never know. Anyway  no question JJ is the better fit at AU.

I would guess, (you guys can correct me if I am wrong) that the coaches felt good enough about JJ to go ahead and make the commitment official and get the verbal before BCW. SO..... during BCW all the recruits will know who our QB will be for the 2013 class, and they will all get a chance to meet him (If they have not already). Then JJ will step up as a leader of the 2013 class and help recruit some top targets to AU.

as silly as this may sound ... the write ups/quotes from JJ's coach gives the impression that he is a good leader and sets a great example.  If all of a sudden you have a very physically athletic, confident, 6'6" future QB/team leader, who has an imposing build, national consensus top 20 rating, new/excited commitment to Auburn selling the program ... I think some of the other kids will listen and listen hard.  I believe he will command respect from the other recruits.

You guys are right.  My wish on Staver is based on my desire to get Ramsey, and that wish is based on a "home-town" thing.  It wouldn't be fair to JJ or the other commits and prospects to have another QB here ( J Smith is not a QB prospect IMO).  Plus, it looks as if DB prospects are coming out of the woodwork now;  I think Coach Martinez is continuing his evaluation of corners and safeties, so Ramsey might not be that high on the board now.

In reading other threads about the QB evaluation process, and getting valuable info from kk and flexbone on how the dominos fell, everything makes perfect sense now.  The end result is we got a very physically-gifted kid with great measurables, who loves Auburn with a passion,  possesses a tremendous desire to win, has instinctive leadership skills, and will be tutored by one of the best QB mentors in the college football world.  Plus, with our current roster of QBs, he should have time to hone those skills into a polished quarterback.  Spock would love this "logical" decision!!

Archived