What was your take on Grimes' starting OL...

TigerWar

for A-Day?

LT: Greg Robinson

LG: John Sullen

C: Reese Dismukes

RG: Chad Slade

RT: Patrick Miller

Surprised Miller got the call rather than Sade at RT and Christian Westerman or Eric Mack at right guard. Sounds like Miller's been running a lot with the 1's towards the end of spring as Grimes honed in on the right side combo of Slade and Patrick.

Do you honestly think that this is his best five? Sounds like Grimes is legitimately going to give a new guy every opportunity in the world to start, but he could just be testing the waters with Miller.

I think those will be the starters except for Miller. I know that Westerman was a little banged up recently and was a little behind. P Marshall said before the game he wasn't sure he would even play. Personally I believe Slade will kick out to Tackle and Westerman will battle E. Mack and the freshmen for the RG spot. Unless of course Miller or one of the blue chippers really impresses and wins a tackle spot, in which case Slade would kick back inside.

I think those will be the starters except for Miller. I know that Westerman was a little banged up recently and was a little behind. P Marshall said before the game he wasn't sure he would even play. Personally I believe Slade will kick out to Tackle and Westerman will battle E. Mack and the freshmen for the RG spot. Unless of course Miller or one of the blue chippers really impresses and wins a tackle spot, in which case Slade would kick back inside.

This is pretty much what I was thinking.  The right side of the line is really a concern right now.  Seems like the coaches would like to be able to play Slade at right guard, but it'll take a strong push by Coleman (if he's healthy and man I would love to see it) or one of the incoming freshman for them to be able to afford to.  Miller is showing potential, but is pretty undersized at the moment.

Gentlemen, this has been my fear for some time now.  We all know that our OL got kicked around last year by SEC teams.  Our QB's were running for their lives when trying to pass.  I have suspected that our older OL may not be able to hold off some of these freshmen.  We signed some real studs.

When true freshmen start on the OL two things must be understood.  (1) that freshman is loaded with talent and ability and (2) the upperclassman is not as strong as you need.  Most freshmen redshirt due to needing to gain weight, strength and learning the play book.

I'm not bad mouthing our upperclass OL they have been loyal, worked hard and are true Auburn men.  We should be very proud of each and every one of them.  Fortunatly I believe you will see another freshman step up as well and may even start before the season is over. 

That is hard for some to take but best man get's the start.  I trust our coaches to make that decision.  They see them everyday in practice.  It may not be what we want to hear now but boy does the future look bright from where I'm sitting.

WDE

I think it was as much a wakeup call to the guys who have been here as anything else, letting them know that nothing is guaranteed and if they don't start working the way that Miller has been, they're going to be sitting behind him.

I met Patrick Miller's parents on Saturday.  They were sitting beside me.  Nice people.  I thought Patrick played very well.  I would not be surprised to see him get the start....I taught his mother and his aunt "bodda getta".  It was a lot of fun..

Talked to Patrick after the game....the guy is very big!!!

War Eagle Patrick

Miller certainly has the frame to be a tackle. If his weight on the official website is correct - 273 lbs - he could potentially be in the 280s or even the low 290s by the time camp rolls around. He doesn't have to be 320 lbs to be a good tackle in the SEC. I didn't watch A-Day but from the highlights I saw, and from the tidbits I heard on the radio, Miller was certainly showing his youth and inexperience when confronted with SEC speed. That's natural for a first timer and he's got the whole summer and fall to get used to it.

At the moment, I think we have to assume that the starting 5 that took the field with Kiehl on Saturday are the best available 5 at the moment. That may mean that Westerman or Mack were hobbled somewhat and couldn't adequately keep up with the other 1s which is why Slade moved inside. At any rate, Miller and Slade were apparently practicing well enough to beat out the other guys for a time. Certainly things can change by the time of fall camp, and I expect them to, but right now Miller is in a good position if he can put on the pounds and get stronger.

Ryan

Gentlemen, this has been my fear for some time now.  We all know that our OL got kicked around last year by SEC teams.  Our QB's were running for their lives when trying to pass.  I have suspected that our older OL may not be able to hold off some of these freshmen.  We signed some real studs.

When true freshmen start on the OL two things must be understood.  (1) that freshman is loaded with talent and ability and (2) the upperclassman is not as strong as you need.  Most freshmen redshirt due to needing to gain weight, strength and learning the play book.

I'm not bad mouthing our upperclass OL they have been loyal, worked hard and are true Auburn men.  We should be very proud of each and every one of them.  Fortunatly I believe you will see another freshman step up as well and may even start before the season is over. 

That is hard for some to take but best man get's the start.  I trust our coaches to make that decision.  They see them everyday in practice.  It may not be what we want to hear now but boy does the future look bright from where I'm sitting.

WDE

I think it has more to do with attrition and continuity than anything. Here's the offensive linemen that Grimes has lost since he's been here -

Andre Harris, OL, 6-4    327     3-Star

Roszell Gayden, OL, 6-7   310    4-Star

Ed Christian, OL, 6-5 280    4-Star

Aubrey Phillips, OL, 6-6   310    4-Star

Shon Coleman, OL, 6-7   285   5-Star (Hellz yeah...On the comeback!)

The OL is going to be the weakest part of the team next season, which has me extremely worried (again), especially for the QB....I have no clue on earth how Dyer rushed for almost 1250 yards last year behind that line.

WDE

I think it has more to do with attrition and continuity than anything. Here's the offensive linemen that Grimes has lost since he's been here -

Andre Harris, OL, 6-4    327     3-Star

Roszell Gayden, OL, 6-7   310    4-Star

Ed Christian, OL, 6-5 280    4-Star

Aubrey Phillips, OL, 6-6   310    4-Star

Shon Coleman, OL, 6-7   285   5-Star (Hellz yeah...On the comeback!)

Yeah the only surprise in the that line up is Miller. Slade is obviously someone they want starting regardless of where that may be on the line. Word is that Westerman was banged up recently and I'm not sure what the deal with Mack is. Mack has struggled staying in the shape the coaches want him in so this could have just been a "you better work hard" message to Mack. I feel like we are still a year away from having a really good OL, but I do hope this years line can start out adequate and hopefully develope into a good line as the year goes along. I'll be very worried if Miller is the starter come fall because it is never a good sign when a true freshman is starting on the OL. But we have seen in the recent past freshmen do well in a starting role so there are always exceptions.

I'll be very worried if Miller is the starter come fall because it is never a good sign when a true freshman is starting on the OL. But we have seen in the recent past freshmen do well in a starting role so there are always exceptions.

IMO, a true freshman that enrolls early and goes through spring practice and is prepared to have, and does have a productive summer workout versus a true freshman that hasn't is a totally different animal in terms of what they may be prepared to do in their first season.  It can be the difference in being somewhat ready versus wide-eyed and confused/lost as often as not.

Westerman didnot play for the last two weeks. He will play. He is banged up.

Listen to this guy. :bow:

Just for the record, A-Day does not mean a whole lot in terms of who starts. That being said, it is a good opportunity for those battling for jobs to display their talents and potentially move up the depth chart.

Any player who is banged up or assured of a starting job will not play much at A-Day games. A-Day is basically for the fans and to get younger players used to the atmosphere. I would not read too much in the alignments or positions at A-Day game.

Westerman didnot play for the last two weeks. He will play. He is banged up.

Listen to this guy. :bow:

Is it anything serious? Two weeks is a good bit of time to be removed from playing due to injury.

My take is that we had some guys hobbled and Grimes wanted to see what he had if he needed to rely on different combinations. Come September, I don't see us starting any TrFreshmen at the important RT slot. I think the guys that start will be the ones who have been here awhile and are not only talented but the strongest. As I said on another thread, I think it is very important for Coach G to name his starters as soon as he can so they can get as many reps together as possible and begin to play as a unit. I think in the end, taking the above into consideration, the starters will be these guys.

Starters:

LT- Robinson (stronger now, big, mean)

LG- Westerman (stronger now, bigger now, real mean)

C- Dismukes (stronger, experienced)

RG- Sullen (strong, big, experienced)

RT- Slade (stronger, big, experienced)

I think the exception above will be in switching Westerman and Sullen to put an experienced guy next to the first year starter on both sides. But note, I like "mean" on the QB's blind side.

First in:

Guard- Mack

Tackle- Miller (as of now), Coleman (fingers crossed here), Diamond (depends on how quick he learns).

Center- Fariyike

I agree with the switch from let to right for westerman. His injury is not permanant, alot of boy to put on a bad ankle. He insisted on playing sat.

My take is that we had some guys hobbled and Grimes wanted to see what he had if he needed to rely on different combinations. Come September, I don't see us starting any TrFreshmen at the important RT slot. I think the guys that start will be the ones who have been here awhile and are not only talented but the strongest. As I said on another thread, I think it is very important for Coach G to name his starters as soon as he can so they can get as many reps together as possible and begin to play as a unit. I think in the end, taking the above into consideration, the starters will be these guys.

Starters:

I think the exception above will be in switching Westerman and Sullen to put an experienced guy next to the first year starter on both sides. But note, I like "mean" on the QB's blind side.

First in:

Guard- Mack

Tackle- Miller (as of now), Coleman (fingers crossed here), Diamond (depends on how quick he learns).

Center- Fariyike

You do know the opposing defenses are getting bigger and stronger as well right? It's not like we are the only team that is hitting the weights and being coached up, while the others just chill.

Having any type of Freshman on the OL (regardless whethere they are true, early enrollee, or redshirt) still raises question marks and yes, I understand a redshirt has more practice experience than an EE, and EE has more experience than a guy that comes in the summer.

I don't care if they were a 5 star and redshirted, they have never played a single snap of SEC football so you don't know how they are going to respond as a freshman. The OL IMO is the hardest position to play as a freshman.

How do I know Lee Ziemba and Ryan Pugh were going to be solid players in 2010, because I saw them play and how the responded on the field the previous seasons. Nobody on here knows how Robinson, Miller, Westerman, etc are going to pan out. They could be great, they could be average, or they could be bad....I believe they have the potential to dominate in a few years, but not as freshman.

All I know is our OL is full of nothing but freshmen, sophomores, and one senior (Sullen) and that spells disaster IMO

Starters:

First in:

Guard- Mack

Center- Fariyike

You do know the opposing defenses are getting bigger and stronger as well right? It's not like we are the only team that is hitting the weights and being coached up, while the others just chill.

Having any type of Freshman on the OL (regardless whethere they are true, early enrollee, or redshirt) still raises question marks and yes, I understand a redshirt has more practice experience than an EE, and EE has more experience than a guy that comes in the summer.

I don't care if they were a 5 star and redshirted, they have never played a single snap of SEC football so you don't know how they are going to respond as a freshman. The OL IMO is the hardest position to play as a freshman.

How do I know Lee Ziemba and Ryan Pugh were going to be solid players in 2010, because I saw them play and how the responded on the field the previous seasons. Nobody on here knows how Robinson, Miller, Westerman, etc are going to pan out. They could be great, they could be average, or they could be bad....I believe they have the potential to dominate in a few years, but not as freshman.

All I know is our OL is full of nothing but freshmen, sophomores, and one senior (Sullen) and that spells disaster IMO

What you just said can be said of a juniuor or senior that is just getting/earning his first oportunity as well.  At some point and time you will have to give a player their first start.  Especially in college where you can only play for 4 years.

Starters:

First in:

Guard- Mack

Center- Fariyike

IMO you are spot on  :thumbsup:

it is a just argument on both sides.  Experience vs. Skills.   This is the case as i see it, the "experienced" lineman do not have the skill that the younger lineman appear to have.  Obviously, the younger lineman do not have the experience of the older lineman.  i actually prefer the younger lineman in that scenario, they at least have the skill-set to make the blocks.  Experience will not help you improve your athletic skills.  if they are not there they are not there.  Yes i know you can trim a little off a 40 time, or increase a bench max by 50 pounds or have the prettiest kick step ever, but if you cannot make the block.....   The younger guys will push the older guys and if they are better they will start.  High school offenses and defenses are so  much better than when most of us played.  The schemes are close and the gap is narrowing.  

Archived