McCalebb and Spring Practice

ballrun44

Some of you guys are funny. OMac has 2,016 career rushing yards with 6.5 yds per carry and 18 TD. How can anyone think he won't have a prominent role in the offense? He has the ability to take it to the house on any play. No way  he doesn't touch the ball 10-15 times per game.

^^THIS ^^

Sorry, but I am getting very tired of the OMac put downs. That may not be the way some mean it, but that is how it comes across.

Out of all of the RBs on the team and with very few exceptions otherwise, OMAC has been the most consistent player on the team. How he can be dismissed so easily by so many on these boards, is a freaking mystery to me.

Yes, I am SUPER GLAD we have Mason (whom some also felt was an afterthought when he was signed), coupled with Grant and Blakely. We are stacked at RB and have more talent in this position overall than anyone in the country. However, OMAC is the senior of these, not the junior.

Yes, we all acknowledge that OMacs size is not an every down back. But his productivity speaks for itself. He is a game changer and a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball.  Whether he is running, catching, or returning kick offs and punts, you can bet money that the opposing D ans special team coordinators get nervous. I am just amazed how anyone can review films of AU football in the past three years and not see what OMac has meant to our success!!

Please, Please No more "DOWN on OMAC"!! You can be high on someone else without dissing a man who has the stats, the game changing plays, and the heart of the Auburn Tigers!

:wareagle:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many carries has OM had in a pro-style offense?

How many of those signature runs came when he ran between the tackles?

There will be elements of the spread in our offense and he will get carries in that role.  His biggest role will be catching the ball out of the backfield.  He will thrive in that role.  Carrying the ball against UVA is much different than carrying the ball in the SEC.  OM's production was a product of the scheme we were running.  I just don't see us running wide as often as we used to.  

No one is saying he isn't a home run threat when he touches the ball.  The key difference is that (except for one play against UVA) he does not break tackles or make anyone miss one on one.  He either outruns them or the play is dead.  A true running back can make plays on their own when blocking breaks down.  I personally haven't seen that from OM since he has been at AU.  

Our staff will no doubt force carries to OM early in the year.  He has earned it. Stats don't always paint the picture.

What he does with those carries no one knows.  If he touches the ball more than 7-8 times per game (for the season) I will be stunned.  Do you really think he runs like a RB ?

There will be elements of the spread in our offense and he will get carries in that role.  His biggest role will be catching the ball out of the backfield.  He will thrive in that role.  Carrying the ball against UVA is much different than carrying the ball in the SEC.  OM's production was a product of the scheme we were running.  I just don't see us running wide as often as we used to.  

No one is saying he isn't a home run threat when he touches the ball.  The key difference is that (except for one play against UVA) he does not break tackles or make anyone miss one on one.  He either outruns them or the play is dead.  A true running back can make plays on their own when blocking breaks down.  I personally haven't seen that from OM since he has been at AU.  

Our staff will no doubt force carries to OM early in the year.  He has earned it. Stats don't always paint the picture.

What he does with those carries no one knows.  If he touches the ball more than 7-8 times per game (for the season) I will be stunned.  Do you really think he runs like a RB ?

I understand what you  are saying but I would be more shocked if he got anything less than 10-15 touches a game on offense. We have never seen him in a pro set so hard to tell how good or bad he is in that. Personally I think we are still gonna use him as a perimeter threat with Mason and Grant going up the middle. There will be plenty of draws, sweeps, reverses, screens and swings to OMac.

No he doesn't have the greatest moves but he has done more than all 3 of the other guys combined. He has proven he can play in the SEC for 3 years. I honestly believe he will end up with 8 or so TDs this year between receptions, rushing, and special teams

OMac will have a role in the offense, and if he can move back towards the hard nosed running that he began to display after getting advice from Bo but has since reverted from, then he can have an even larger one. But he isn't big enough to be the featured back.

I gotta tell ya guys, Tre Mason and Corey Grant are both guys that I have loved since high school (it tore me up that Corey signed with Bama...I knew he'd be miserable there, but I didn't expect him to smarten up quickly enough to transfer to AU), but I really think Mike Blakely is going to be starting by midseason, if not sooner. I think he's going to make people forget about Dyer pretty quickly...I hate to put that kind of pressure on, considering the success MD had in two years, but guy is REALLY impressive to me.

Note: my opinion on Blakely has absolutely nothing to do with A-Day.

I agree Red. We have some great depth at the rb postion and they all have different styles. That is going to be a great change of pace and is going to make it tough on the D. Omac is a great change of pace back with speed to burn, a return threat, and can catch. (Dexter McCluster type). Corey Grant has good size to run inside, can catch, and can burn. I can't think of a comparison but that's not a bad thing  ;)  Mike Blakely is almost an exact mold of Dyer. Short, thick, fast, good balance, but he is much more complete in the fact that he has some recieving skills. Tre like I said reminds me of Felix Jones. Compact and fast. Can run inside or out, good reciever, and a return threat. The wild card is Jovon Robinson. Allthough I belive he will redshirt this year (could be wrong but don't think so) I think he has the potential to be the best of all of them. At 6'0-6'1 and 220# with 4.4 speed that is a deadly combo. His film is as impressive as anyone's I've seen for such a big back. He has great vison and cutback ability. I can't remember the last time we had a back quite like him. Add in Prosch, the running ability of KF, and lets not forget the most important factor ... all those 4 and 5* big nasties Coach Grimes has brought in  :thumbsup: needless to say I'm pretty excited about the potential of our backfield over the next year and beyond.  :cool:  :wedance:

Some of you guys are funny. OMac has 2,016 career rushing yards with 6.5 yds per carry and 18 TD. How can anyone think he won't have a prominent role in the offense? He has the ability to take it to the house on any play. No way  he doesn't touch the ball 10-15 times per game.

^^THIS ^^

Sorry, but I am getting very tired of the OMac put downs. That may not be the way some mean it, but that is how it comes across.

Out of all of the RBs on the team and with very few exceptions otherwise, OMAC has been the most consistent player on the team. How he can be dismissed so easily by so many on these boards, is a freaking mystery to me.

Yes, I am SUPER GLAD we have Mason (whom some also felt was an afterthought when he was signed), coupled with Grant and Blakely. We are stacked at RB and have more talent in this position overall than anyone in the country. However, OMAC is the senior of these, not the junior.

Yes, we all acknowledge that OMacs size is not an every down back. But his productivity speaks for itself. He is a game changer and a threat to take it the distance every time he touches the ball.  Whether he is running, catching, or returning kick offs and punts, you can bet money that the opposing D ans special team coordinators get nervous. I am just amazed how anyone can review films of AU football in the past three years and not see what OMac has meant to our success!!

Please, Please No more "DOWN on OMAC"!! You can be high on someone else without dissing a man who has the stats, the game changing plays, and the heart of the Auburn Tigers!

:wareagle:

Really did not intend my quotes as a put down.  Sorry if it came out that way.  

Basically, I feel that his opportunities will be limited in the new offense.  I hope he gets some work in the slot as well.  I think he could thrive in that role.  OM is a true AU man and I wish him nothing but the best.  

I just wanted to see some debate to see if others thought he would be a workhorse in this offense.

I understand what you  are saying but I would be more shocked if he got anything less than 10-15 touches a game on offense. We have never seen him in a pro set so hard to tell how good or bad he is in that. Personally I think we are still gonna use him as a perimeter threat with Mason and Grant going up the middle. There will be plenty of draws, sweeps, reverses, screens and swings to OMac.

No he doesn't have the greatest moves but he has done more than all 3 of the other guys combined. He has proven he can play in the SEC for 3 years. I honestly believe he will end up with 8 or so TDs this year between receptions, rushing, and special teams

Realistic and well stated.  Great thoughts.

Really did not intend my quotes as a put down.  Sorry if it came out that way.  

Basically, I feel that his opportunities will be limited in the new offense.  I hope he gets some work in the slot as well.  I think he could thrive in that role.  OM is a true AU man and I wish him nothing but the best.  

I just wanted to see some debate to see if others thought he would be a workhorse in this offense.

I seem to remember that we have tried to use him as a slot receiver in the past and he had trouble catching the ball when running routes from the position (and it is different than catching the ball out of the backfield), so I'm not sure how well he would take to being in that role all that often unless it were primarily for reverses and motion into the backfield. That having been said, catching the ball is more about concentration than anything else, and he is athletic enough that it's certainly possible something clicked in his head and he just started catching the ball, not that he simply has more success when catching a softer pass behind the line or just past it. I guess we'll see!

Look for OMAC to get 10-12 touches in a variety of ways per game (kick-off return, receiving, and rushing).

The one negative that stands out is his limited cut-back ability.  He does not have great balance, and it seems he loses his footing when he is in traffic.

However, his open-field speed is off the charts, and there isn't a better runner in open space in this conference.  If Frazier is the starter, we could see the jet sweep a lot more than last year.

Let's hope this season, will be his most effecient in his career on the plains.

Go get em' squirrel!

I could see O Mac doing what Kansas city does with dexter mcluster from ole miss: running receiving and returning

This role might be what gets him in the NFL.  If theres one thing I hope happens this year with OMac, is he is prepared for the role he could have in the NFL.

I don't think folks were dissing OMac...but just pointing out that with the new offense, he might have to play a different role.  He will get his hands on the ball in  a variety of ways, as noted above, but with the new kids coming in, I can't see him doing much straight ahead running and even the speed sweep might be a thing of the past. 

He is an excellent ball carrier and the coaches will figure out how to use his skills.

He will be the 1st string RB on the opening roster. You can expect him to get his hands on the ball 10-15 times a game between running and catching. That's a good chunk

Look for OMAC to get 10-12 touches in a variety of ways per game (kick-off return, receiving, and rushing).

The one negative that stands out is his limited cut-back ability.  He does not have great balance, and it seems he loses his footing when he is in traffic.

However, his open-field speed is off the charts, and there isn't a better runner in open space in this conference.  If Frazier is the starter, we could see the jet sweep a lot more than last year.

Go get em' squirrel!

Well said.

A couple people have compared Omac to McCluster and I just don't really see it. Yeah they're about the same size but Dexter was a tougher runner and could also cut on a dime. Omac is blazing fast and seems to catch the ball pretty well out of the backfield, but doesn't have the cutting ability or balance. I'm not dogging Omac,  I'm just stating what I've seen over the past 3 years. Football isn't always rainbows and lollipops... We should be able to call it how we see it without being jumped on by other posters. I think OM is very versatile and will get his touches in a variety of ways but I don't see him as our true starting tailback next year. That being said, I wish him nothing but the best of luck and hope he has an All -American senior season. WDE Omac.

Go get em' squirrel!

Well said.

A couple people have compared Omac to McCluster and I just don't really see it. Yeah they're about the same size but Dexter was a tougher runner and could also cut on a dime. Omac is blazing fast and seems to catch the ball pretty well out of the backfield, but doesn't have the cutting ability or balance. I'm not dogging Omac,  I'm just stating what I've seen over the past 3 years. Football isn't always rainbows and lollipops... We should be able to call it how we see it without being jumped on by other posters. I think OM is very versatile and will get his touches in a variety of ways but I don't see him as our true starting tailback next year. That being said, I wish him nothing but the best of luck and hope he has an All -American senior season. WDE Omac.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. OMAC's numbers will depend purely on how open the offense can get him. If he can get a good lane that doesn't require a hard cut then he'll take it to the house and no one will catch him. Anything short of that, and he will get some yardage, but only as far as the open field takes him.

I don't think folks were dissing OMac...but just pointing out that with the new offense, he might have to play a different role.   He will get his hands on the ball in  a variety of ways, as noted above, but with the new kids coming in, I can't see him doing much straight ahead running and even the speed sweep might be a thing of the past. 

He is an excellent ball carrier and the coaches will figure out how to use his skills.

Not necessarily in this thread, but in others, yes. I consider this a terrible insult for instance.

QUOTE:

"OMac, I'm sorry, he'll trip on a blade of grass. I think he'll get less touches in this offense."

End Quote

This is in the Mike Blakely thread. But this is only one example witnessed over the past few days.

It is fine to say OMac is not an every down back,  that is an obvious fact. It is quite another to say that he is not what he is; An AUSOME athlete who has performed very well for AU his entire career. OMac has definitely won games for us that without him, we would not have won.  I certainly do not see that changing.

OMAC will continue to run out of the backfield and on the edges. He will be a receiver out of the backfield as well. He is a dangerous weapon and that is the way he will be used. He is a first class athlete and AU man and deserves to be treated as such, IMHO..

A lot of people are saying they don't think Omac will play a big part in the running game, but I have to disagree.  I know Mason, Grant and Blakely are more prototypical RB's in the SEC, but Omac is a perfect change-of-pace runner, who also catches the ball out of the backfield very well.  With Prosch blocking for him, Omac won't be asked to blast through the line, but only to hit the hole Prosch creates and turn on the jets.  I also still think we incorporate some version of the speed sweep, which is Omac's bread and butter.  He seems to be relentless in the weight room, and is one of the toughest players I have seen in a long time.  Some knock his willingness to get hit, but as long as it doesn't cost us games by not getting that extra yard, I think he is smart not to challenge a 240 LB running full steam. 

I can't wait to see defense trying to figure out how to stop Mason, Grant, Blakely and Omac, with Prosch blocking for them!!!  It is going to be fun to watch.

War Eagle!!!

I agree with you. He wasn`t needed so why beat him up in the spring. He will be the starter until someone beats him out.

I know it's not a popular sentiment, but I too think that McCallebb's production could take a hit this year. From all that I have seen and learned about CSL's offense, I just don't see where he fits in. Don't get me wrong though, they WILL find a way to use him. If you go back and look at OMACs career, the VAST majority of his yds are toss/jet sweeps. Almost everything is to the perimeter. You can nearly count on one hand the amount of carries he has taken up the middle. He just isn't the kind of back that lines up behind a FB and pounds it downhill. Throw on top of that the fact that AU now has one RB (Mason) who is bigger and nearly as fast as OMAC, and another RB (Grant) who according to some is even FASTER than he is. That's without even mentioning the very physical Mike Blakely.

He obviously will make a big impact on kickoffs, and he WILL have a role in the offense. His experience alone gives him an advantage over the others, but I certainly could see his role diminished a little, and it doesnt have anything to do with him not being a very good football player.

I know it's not a popular sentiment, but I too think that McCallebb's production could take a hit this year. From all that I have seen and learned about CSL's offense, I just don't see where he fits in. Don't get me wrong though, they WILL find a way to use him. If you go back and look at OMACs career, the VAST majority of his yds are toss/jet sweeps. Almost everything is to the perimeter. You can nearly count on one hand the amount of carries he has taken up the middle. He just isn't the kind of back that lines up behind a FB and pounds it downhill. Throw on top of that the fact that AU now has one RB (Mason) who is bigger and nearly as fast as OMAC, and another RB (Grant) who according to some is even FASTER than he is. That's without even mentioning the very physical Mike Blakely.

He obviously will make a big impact on kickoffs, and he WILL have a role in the offense. His experience alone gives him an advantage over the others, but I certainly could see his role diminished a little, and it doesnt have anything to do with him not being a very good football player.

Couldn't have said it better.

Continues to get a head of steam, cut up, then slip and fall. It has to be the excessive tape job. His feet looked 3 times normal size to me. Why does he fall down so much? :timeout:

Continues to get a head of steam, cut up, then slip and fall. It has to be the excessive tape job. His feet looked 3 times normal size to me. Why does he fall down so much? :timeout:

Hydroplaning in the turns?

I don't think OM will play a big role in this offense at RB. I'm thinking they may have some special stuff for him, but I don't see him being a work horse at all.

We're changing styles and we have a group of smaller RB (OM beng the smallest). Should be interesting when Jovon makes it in this summer.

JMO

I love what Omac has done for this team but it's time for a facelift at RB

:pcprobs:

Wow this thread is going no where fast. Just off the top of my head we probably loose the 2010 LSU and Clemson games without OMac. He was just as much a part of a national championship team as Dyer was, if not more. It's amazing how so many are quick to discredit him.

Wow this thread is going no where fast. Just off the top of my head we probably loose the 2010 LSU and Clemson games. He was just as much a part of a national championship team as Dyer was, if not more. It's amazing how so many are quick to discredit him.

Couldn't agree more. OMAC and Cam complimented each other so well in the 2010 season because each was deadly when we ran the zone read speed sweep and made defenses pick their poison. OMAC and Fannin probably don't get as much credit as they deserve for their roles in the success of the 2010 offense. WDE

Wow this thread is going no where fast. Just off the top of my head we probably loose the 2010 LSU and Clemson games. He was just as much a part of a national championship team as Dyer was, if not more. It's amazing how so many are quick to discredit him.

He wasn't more, but he was just as much. I think people underestimate how much the threat of giving the ball to OMac helped Cam and vice versa. I remember that big run against LSU in 2010 that sealed the game for us, and it happened because the LSU defense (especially Patrick Peterson...pretty this was after Cam's Heisman run when he carried Peterson into the end zone) bit on following Newton, and OMac was gone before they could blink.

I understand where people are coming from with him not getting as many touches, but I just can't see it. How could you have one proven playmaker at running back and not give him the ball?

When OM was at his best we haf Cam and ran the spread with a veteran OL

Not to mention we really only had two RBs to take carries.  Much more talent on The Plains now than then.  No disrespect to OM

Archived