Mike Blakely

lyles2010

Yes, Chizik did mention his inconsistent spring, but Blakely missed a couple of practices due to the birth of his son and ALSO Chizik stated in a CSS TV interview as soon as the game was over that Blakely would definitely get his fair share of playing time in the backfield.

As far as interviews go ... Maybe mb or other Players don't want to meet with the media and chiz is gracious enough to act as a buffer ... Ie make them unavailable.  Sometimes there could be a simple explanation

mike is a beast. so are corey and tre. i love our rb situation. pick your poison.

so, 2500 yards this year?

If Blakely keeps his head on straight then he'll rush for a 1,000 and earn freshmen all-american honors.

OMac, I'm sorry, he'll trip on a blade of grass. I think he'll get less touches in this offense.

Auburn will use Mason, Blakely and Grant A LOT.

While Grant seems more physical, Mason seems like a dart and Blakely seems capable of taking it to the house on any given play.

I want the ball in the guy's hands who you have to hold your breath every time he touches the ball because you know he could bust a long one.

Hopefully Blakely won't let the A-day stardom get to his head and he continues to work hard to become Auburn's starting runningback as a redshirt freshman, put in 3 magical years of 1000+ yd seasons, a Doak Walker Award, then enter the draft at the end of his junior year and go to the pros as a top 10 pick.

I personally felt like MB was one of our most explosive players for Auburn while watching the CSS replay of the game.

He had such a sick run where he was stuffed in the middle but was strong and elusive enough to bounce out of it and to the outside taking it 27 yds for the score. He touched the ball 5 times and rushed for an impressive 13 ypc for 65 yards. Chizik said to make nothing of the spring game, so should we overlook the ridiculous talent Blakely displayed on Pat Dye Field? Personally, I think he looks like our best runningback.

You have to be a little careful in deciding who can do what in spring games scrimmages because it makes a big difference who they are competing against.  For instance, if a rb is up against SEC caliber defensive players it is one thing, if they are not then not so much.

Methinks MB may still be adjusting to life off of the field as an AU football player and hasn't effectively adjusted to the point that the coaching staff is satisfied.

wde

A well connected poster on Scout posted something along these lines. He said that Blakley isn't quite performing up to the standards of an Auburn player off the field. Said it wasn't anything serious, just needed to grow up a little.

Yes.   That particular poster's info is the reason for my post.

wde

Congrats to Mike Blakely on having a great day running the football. My fave of all our running backs .Was really disappointed when he went Florida . Was elated for him to come back .Hoping he has a big time year.

You have to be a little careful in deciding who can do what in spring games scrimmages because it makes a big difference who they are competing against.  For instance, if a rb is up against SEC caliber defensive players it is one thing, if they are not then not so much.

^^THIS^^

Remember when Barret Trotter looked better at QB then Cam? In all honesty the spring game told us very little if anything. Mason and OMac totalled 5 carries. I think they were letting the 3rd and 4th backs Grant and Blakely get the bulk of the carries because they are confident in what McCalleb and Mason can do. I don't think Blakely makes a huge impact this season. The most impressive run to me all day was Mason's. He downhill found a gap and ran through it hard. He is unafraid of contact and runs so well downhill. I think if anyone gets 1,000 yds this year it will be Mason.

However I do think before his career is over Blakely will make a name for himself on the field. We saw glimpses of what he is capable of

If Blakely keeps his head on straight then he'll rush for a 1,000 and earn freshmen all-american honors.

OMac, I'm sorry, he'll trip on a blade of grass. I think he'll get less touches in this offense.

I don't think Blakely will begin the season as the primary back, and that coupled with the depth at the position will, I believe, keep him at something closer to 750 yards.

And I'm sorry, but OMac has run past 2,000 yards worth of blades of grass, so it's not as if he trips on them every time. He is the guy you want in space because of his explosion. I think he finishes the season with at least 500 all purpose yards.

I just wish OM wasn't scared of getting hit.

It is a matter of survival for him as he isn't built for collisions, he is built for speed.  He has to basically take what he can get uncontested or he won't be able to run full speed the next time.

i doubt he is scared of getting hit.  it is however smart and responsible of him to avoid hits.  he simply isnt and wont be big enough.

regardless of his size, he is our most experienced back and was our 3rd down back last year because he was a better (more effective) pass blocker and receiver than dyer.  this coming year we will need his leadership on the field.  it would be unwise of the coaches to give him the ball too often between the tackles.

btw, he would not win one on one testosterone battles with opposing D's players, regardless of his "want-to" ...

omac is not scared at all. he is pure guts and i dont remember him ever getting hurt and maybe one fumble in 3 years. but he is not a feature back we know his role and so does he. the only problem i see is he does go down without contact just trying to cut sometimes. mason looks just as fast to me, but much more of a true rb.

So when are you suiting up? Sorry guys but this dissing of one of our best producers is getting OLD FAST!!

He did not have to come back this year and with fans like this, I am beginning to wonder why he did!

GEEZ!!

omac is not scared at all. he is pure guts and i dont remember him ever getting hurt and maybe one fumble in 3 years. but he is not a feature back we know his role and so does he. the only problem i see is he does go down without contact just trying to cut sometimes. mason looks just as fast to me, but much more of a true rb.

How soon some fickle fans forget alexava.. This guy has put it all on the line and certainly deserves none of this criticism!

He played hurt in his sophomore year and last year and still came through when it counted. He deserves accolades and respect and certainly none of this.

I don't think Blakely will begin the season as the primary back, and that coupled with the depth at the position will, I believe, keep him at something closer to 750 yards.

And I'm sorry, but OMac has run past 2,000 yards worth of blades of grass, so it's not as if he trips on them every time. He is the guy you want in space because of his explosion. I think he finishes the season with at least 500 all purpose yards.

Blakely impressed me with his moves... We are so blessed at AU with this backfield, no freaking doubt.

What a wonderful problem to have

OMAC

Mason

Blakely

Grant

and to open the holes, big nasties up front and All American, Mr. PROSCH!

and we have another RB in the works as a true freshman.. Running game at AU is going to be good, SCARY GOOD!!

mike is a beast. so are corey and tre. i love our rb situation. pick your poison.

so, 2500 yards this year?

Auburn will use Mason, Blakely and Grant A LOT.

While Grant seems more physical, Mason seems like a dart and Blakely seems capable of taking it to the house on any given play.

I want the ball in the guy's hands who you have to hold your breath every time he touches the ball because you know he could bust a long one.

Hopefully Blakely won't let the A-day stardom get to his head and he continues to work hard to become Auburn's starting runningback as a redshirt freshman, put in 3 magical years of 1000+ yd seasons, a Doak Walker Award, then enter the draft at the end of his junior year and go to the pros as a top 10 pick.

I personally felt like MB was one of our most explosive players for Auburn while watching the CSS replay of the game.

He had such a sick run where he was stuffed in the middle but was strong and elusive enough to bounce out of it and to the outside taking it 27 yds for the score. He touched the ball 5 times and rushed for an impressive 13 ypc for 65 yards. Chizik said to make nothing of the spring game, so should we overlook the ridiculous talent Blakely displayed on Pat Dye Field? Personally, I think he looks like our best runningback.

Yep, just about time for Luper to make his annual "I guarantee that (blank) will run for 1000 yds this year" :)

OMac finishing the season with 500 All-Purpose yards will probably be one his lowest outputs statistically during his time on the plains.

OMac finishing the season with 500 All-Purpose yards will probably be one his lowest outputs statistically during his time on the plains.

This. ^

I was thinking 1200 range. Barring injury, he gets 500 easy.

Oh it definitely will be if he does, and I feel pretty confident that he'll get more than that, but because carries will be divided amongst at least four backs and I expect at least two of our wideouts not named Emory Blake to step up this year, I gave that as a conservative estimate. More likely he'll be in the 800-900 range, slightly below last year, but with a better yards per touch due to the defense not being able to focus on him as much.

I agree that OMac is explosive but he seems be okay running out of bounds trying to outrun a db vs. turning it up on those short yardage downs.  There were a lot of times last year that OMac went out of bounds on 3d & short only to not make it.  I believe that he will get his share of carries and I agree that he ends up between 500-700 ap yards.

Archived