A-DAY GAME THREAD

AuburnBoy10

The radio reporters I have on are really impressed with how good KF looked.  ;D

The success of this team offensively depends on KF being the man at QB in 2012.   We greatly need for KF to be the MAN.  

wde

I so agree. KF can do it all.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prosch leads another running back into the end zone. This one Blakely, last one Grant. Dont mess with the dozier, the tank, the battering ram, the MAN.

I think they are calling him The Juggernaught....

Prosch leads another running back into the end zone. This one Blakely, last one Grant. Dont mess with the dozier, the tank, the battering ram, the MAN.

That's a good one too. I saw that, I was just trying to add a few more,lol.

I haven't seen any of the runs Blakely has made, but I would be careful about comparing him to Carnell. I don't think the two are built the same way; Blakely has a very impressive upper body, whereas Caddy was more impressive with his leg strength and low center of gravity. Maybe they were saying Blakely is learning to run better low and such, and that's all well and good, but I don't like putting that kind of pressure on a kid. He has all kinds of potential, but it remains to be seen how that will translate.

Now that's a nickname I can get behind!

I haven't seen any of the runs Blakely has made, but I would be careful about comparing him to Carnell. I don't think the two are built the same way; Blakely has a very impressive upper body, whereas Caddy was more impressive with his leg strength and low center of gravity. Maybe they were saying Blakely is learning to run better low and such, and that's all well and good, but I don't like putting that kind of pressure on a kid. He has all kinds of potential, but it remains to be seen how that will translate.

I don't think he was comparing Blakely to Caddy as much as it was saying the move he made reminded him of something from #24.

Oh I totally agree. I probably won't be comparing him to Caddy because to me there just won't ever be another just like Caddy. Rod said it. I believe he said it because of a move he made on a play. Said it reminded him of #24. Just for that move. Anyway, I just thought that was nice. If you can do anything, even if it's just a move, like Cadillac I would say it's a good thing.

But yea, as far as the pressure thing goes I agree.

The reporter was just saying it was nice to see a LB, Landrum, covering the TE, Uzumoh, so well on a passing play. That's a good sign. He also said Westerman did a nice job on a couple pulling guard plays and made good blocks. I am loving the the play of Prosch, Frazier and the push from the DEs.

did christian westerman start today?

No, he is playing with the second unit at RG.

First unit: LT: Robinson, LG: Sullen, C: Dismukes, RG: Slade, RT: Miller.

did christian westerman start today?

No, he is playing with the second unit at RG.

First unit: LT: Robinson, LG: Sullen, C: Dismukes, RG: Slade, RT: Miller.

Now that's pretty interesting. Sounds as if Miller might have actually moved ahead of Westerman and Mack then. Of course, this could be more motivation for those two to kick it into high gear, but then, the fact that Miller has come out and made this much noise is a pretty big deal, and it's something I love to hear.

The defense has 5 sacks for a total of 44 yards.

This is telling in one of two ways.  1) the defense is going to be wildly aggressive and will take the risks that Roof never would or 2) the O-line is still a work in progress.

There's a third option: the defensive line is just that good. Remember how unblockable Fairley was? Jeffrey Whitaker appears poised to make a similar type of jump...but the thing is that it's not just him. Corey Lemonier, Dee Ford, Nosa Eguae, and Craig Sanders are all monster upperclassmen now, and then you've got Wright, Blackson, and Carter who can all hold their own as well.

This is the biggest reason I think our defense will be back this year. The new DC helps, the new secondary coach helps, the moving of Thigpen to his natural coaching position of linebacker helps, but the biggest thing is experience and growing up. I think we will be better than we would have been with Roof, yes, but I also think we would have been much better even if Roof had remained simply because of how good the line is going to be.

No matter what new offenses they throw out there, no matter how many flashy skill players they parade through awards ceremonies, the long and the short of the matter is that football games are won and lost in the trenches. Ask Oregon about the difference in playing guys the size of our boys in 2010, and then remember that we are deeper in both quantity and quality this year.

Didn't get a chance to watch or listen to the game. What is the offensive system like? There was a lot of speculation that it would be a hybrid between pro and spread. Is it half under center / half shotgun? Half pro-style / half spread? If it's already been addressed, forgive me.

I'm assuming it's different than Malzahan's screen pass and read offense?

Only got to listen myself but they ran a combination of sets including the pistol, shotgun & under center. I am not sure of the ratios maybe someone who attended and tracked this can answer for us.  I do know that regardless of the formation that there are "lots of shifts & motion" which complicates things for opposing defenses.  Coach Loeffler is going to be keeping defenses on there toes and I sense that we will not be watching teams tee off on us, as we became accustomed to over the last year.  Timing with receivers & crisp routes will be a huge focal point.

I just got back from the game,  here are some of my opinions:

1.  The running backs looked good. 

2.  KF looked really good.  He had a good day, and from the little I have seen at A-day and the video of practice on al.com he looks as good as we were expecting him to be. 

3.  The defense looked very good.  In a actual game they would have given up 17 points and I am not even sure the starters were in for Blakely's long touchdown run. 

4.  The O-line had all sorts of trouble in pass protection.  They got beat by not picking up blitzs and they got beat one on one.

IMHO:  the starting qb question was answered today, but if the OL play does not greatly improve then all the qbs will get playing time and hospital time. 

Thanks for the updates on the game today guys.  I wasn't able to watch or even listen for that matter.

Terrible that DTV doesn't have CSS for me to watch the replay either.

Didn't get a chance to watch or listen to the game. What is the offensive system like? There was a lot of speculation that it would be a hybrid between pro and spread. Is it half under center / half shotgun? Half pro-style / half spread? If it's already been addressed, forgive me.

I'm assuming it's different than Malzahan's screen pass and read offense?

Still about 60-70 percent shotgun/pistol and the rest under center.

Archived