2013 5* TE O.J. Howard (Alabama signee)

BurtonJ20

Imo, growing up a fan of a school doesn't mean nearly as much as it used to mean in recruiting. I think this started changing in the early 80's and is to the point that very few kids go to their "favorite school" growing up. Now, it's more about early pt, current winning, if they like the coaches, etc. Most won't go if they feel like they are too far down on the depth chart. So, unless we're talking legacy or some other connection, it's an all out fight to get them.

Re: OJ, who knows why he really chose UAT? And I have a hard time understanding why many still believe that we have a legit shot. I obviously don't know what they know, other than the report that our coaches are still going hard after him.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: OJ, who knows why he really chose UAT? And I have a hard time understanding why many still believe that we have a legit shot. I obviously don't know what they know, other than the report that our coaches are still going hard after him.

He certainly pulled for AU up until this past year. I don't know why people keep believing this will work out for AU either. He has told his friends/teammates it is "pretty much a done deal." I suppose you can hold your breath on the "pretty much" part, but I wouldn't.

I still don't see why all this talk about his "fandom" is even relevant. How can you gauge a teenager's fanaticism? Is that even possible? They change their minds with who is winning, who has the sweetest jerseys, where there girlfriend goes, and on and on.

I listened to his radio interview in Birmingham yesterday and there is almost NO chance he flips.  Maybe 5% tops.  He has bought into Saban :devil: and the bama schemes and said if there was an early signing period he would sign to Bama immediately. 

Don't get your hopes up Auburn fans. :banghead:  And he is actively recruiting others to bama and has become good friends with other bama recruits.

I am over him, if he were to flip great.  Just don't see it.  I think his thread should move to the college football board along with Nkemdiche's, IMO...but i get our coaches are still recruiting him

For those thinking the Auburn coaches backed off OJ because of him saying that at The Opening a few weeks ago. He said something different in a recent interview. He said Auburn is really on him hard. He is firm to Alabama though. He is graduating in December.

He certainly pulled for AU up until this past year. I don't know why people keep believing this will work out for AU either. He has told his friends/teammates it is "pretty much a done deal." I suppose you can hold your breath on the "pretty much" part, but I wouldn't.

I still don't see why all this talk about his "fandom" is even relevant. How can you gauge a teenager's fanaticism? Is that even possible? They change their minds with who is winning, who has the sweetest jerseys, where there girlfriend goes, and on and on.

I agree with the being a fan stuff.  Some people are on different levels with that.  Some literally hate or almost hate people who attend different schools; some just leave it on the field.  He may have been an Auburn fan but it wasn't serious enough to attend school here no matter what.

I wonder if OJ does the same thing that TJ did. Wait until the day before dead week to flip his commit so the UAT coaches won't be able to try to change it back?    Just randomly thinking out loud

I wonder if OJ does the same thing that TJ did. Wait until the day before dead week to flip his commit so the UAT coaches won't be able to try to change it back?    Just randomly thinking out loud

Howard is an early enrollee too?

I believe ellitor said he graduates in December so I think so??

Mmk thank you. If so, that'll give us time to focus on someone else if he sticks with UAT.

Mmk thank you. If so, that'll give us time to focus on someone else if he sticks with UAT.

We have depth at TE. I don't think that it's a situation where if we lose out on OJ that we would need to find someone else at that position--purely speculation.

The other TE they are looking at is Breneman and he is an EE to so it does not give more time at that position.

The other TE they are looking at is Breneman and he is an EE to so it does not give more time at that position.

Yeah I meant as a WR really, because I've heard a few times that OJ could play some wideout.

In my opinion, OJ is one of the most for surest bets future phenoms that I've seen in a prospect in a while. He has that Lattimore, Julio Jones, etc. prowess. There's no doubt in my mind that he has the physical tools to be a 1st team All-American in D-1 and the first tightend taken in the NFL Draft if he's used right in college and doesn't sustain any major injuries.

In my opinion, OJ is one of the most for surest bets future phenoms that I've seen in a prospect in a while. He has that Lattimore, Julio Jones, etc. prowess. There's no doubt in my mind that he has the physical tools to be a 1st team All-American in D-1 and the first tightend taken in the NFL Draft if he's used right in college and doesn't sustain any major injuries.

OJ is a rising senior, and you are placing him with guys who have proven themselves in college and the NFL? Just wow!!!

Yeah I meant as a WR really, because I've heard a few times that OJ could play some wideout.

In that case Kearse may be committed by then.

OJ is a rising senior, and you are placing him with guys who have proven themselves in college and the NFL? Just wow!!!

I see nothing wrong with that statement. All he has is potential at this point in his career, and so far he is making the elite look like chumps at all these camps. Sure, we can always say,"We'll see come fall...", but honestly, OJH is one we can call the speculation over with. He will be dressing on Sunday and Monday in a few years, barring terrible injury or unpredictable issues. He absolutely does look like one of the most elite prospects coming straight out of high school, as far as potential, talent, and athleticism are concerned.

In that case Kearse may be committed by then.

Would we take two of OJ, Seals-Jones, Treadwell, Kearse?

if OJ, SJ and tread wanted to come to auburn we would take all 3 ... kearse being odd man out unless he fit at safety ... imo

If we do not flip Tray that would be a possibility ontherwise that is highly doubtful IMO.

Hey koo-koo for cocoa puffs, I'm saying that I feel the same way about OJ as I did Lattimore and Julio when they were bluechips - that they were can't miss phenoms that would excel in college and the pro's.

I guess its just me but I cannot for the life of me see why so many people are hanging onto the idea of flipping this kid. I just dont see it based on his comments. He cannot be compared to Yeldon because Yeldon never mentioned the fact that "he'd like to honor his commitment " to Auburn like OJ said about Alabama. His body language and facial expressions tell me time is being wasted in a BIG way on this kid! But.... what do I know!

I guess its just me but I cannot for the life of me see why so many people are hanging onto the idea of flipping this kid. I just dont see it based on his comments. He cannot be compared to Yeldon because Yeldon never mentioned the fact that "he'd like to honor his commitment " to Auburn like OJ said about Alabama. His body language and facial expressions tell me time is being wasted in a BIG way on this kid! But.... what do I know!

I agree that I do not think he flips but the coaches are recruiting him hard. Time is not being wasted because the coaches are not missing on someone else by recruiting OJ.

Archived