A big change in AU's offense this season...

TigerWar

is this excerpt taken from Joel Erickson's War Eagle Extra --

For the receivers, the biggest adjustment has been learning to change their routes based on the coverage, a skill that wasn’t required in Gus Malzahn’s offense. “Quarterbacks throw into windows. Running backs run through alleys. It’s important for us to be in the right window at the right time. So if I get press coverage, as opposed to free release, that route’s going to be different, because a guy’s holding me up, he’s impeding my route. But the timing of that route has to stay the same. So if it’s normally a 12-yard route, I’ve got to, if I got held up, condense that to 10, because the timing of the route has to stay the same,” Taylor said. “What we’ve always done is whatever’s locked in, it’s locked in. We weren’t converting, we weren’t adjusting off of different coverages, the play was called, and that was the end of the day.”

Taylor said the difference has been a big adjustment. “”It’s huge, because now you adjust on every route,” Taylor said. “There’s not a single route that’s locked, that you don’t have to adjust to. It’s based on what the defense gives you.”

Read more here: http://www.wareagleextra.com/#storylink=cpy

Interesting. Thanks for posting...I can see how that would be a different type of route running skill, but I really like it. Makes the offense run more fluid I would think.

Interesting. Thanks for posting...I can see how that would be a different type of route running skill, but I really like it. Makes the offense run more fluid I would think.

You can't get any more prototypical than that. I don't even think Borges implemented that. Maybe Petrino? Sounds like the quarterback will audible a bunch in this offense based upon what coverage the d is showing him.

Red...

Have you ever watched an NFL game and wondered...how'd that dude get so open i.e. separation, on a simple crossing route? Someone must have been asleep!

ROUTE ADJUSTMENT

You just got your answer!  :thumbsup:

I'm just learning a lot of this stuff! And it's fascinating!

Thanks AUQBDad.....based on this information my thoughts are that the more cerebral types in our receiving corps are likely to get on the field earlier and more often.  Those with the raw skills that aren't adjusting as well to the reads  might be watching from the sidelines early on. I wonder how long it will take for these guys to master this style? Reminds me of how Wes Welker always finds the open space because of his quickness and football smarts. 

Thanks AUQBDad.....based on this information my thoughts are that the more cerebral types in our receiving corps are likely to get on the field earlier and more often.  Those with the raw skills that aren't adjusting as well to the reads  might be watching from the sidelines early on. I wonder how long it will take for these guys to master this style? Reminds me of how Wes Welker always finds the open space because of his quickness and football smarts. 

Agreed.

That being said...the same is true of the QB because he now has to read the same thing the receiver is reading and come away with the same interpretation in order to accurately and with the correct timing place the ball into the "window" the receiver will be in.  This certainly speaks highly of KF's mental gymnastic abilities.  I would enjoy being a fly on the wall as KF talks to his dad about what progressions are required in any simple pass play.

Because receivers and QB must be on the same page or balls go flying into "empty patches of green" or worse...interceptions,  KF might not have the best of stats by the end of the season because his interception rate will not be based on just his ability to read, anticipate, and throw...but also on the receivers.  We will probably see an interception that makes us all say "what in the world is KF thinking?" when in fact it was a misread by the receiver and a correct throw by KF.  Robin, has KF mentioned this as a concern?

Interesting article discussing "sight reads" though a bit biased against: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7218353/quarterbacking-made-simple.

Agreed.

That being said...the same is true of the QB because he now has to read the same thing the receiver is reading and come away with the same interpretation in order to accurately and with the correct timing place the ball into the "window" the receiver will be in.  This certainly speaks highly of KF's mental gymnastic abilities.  I would enjoy being a fly on the wall as KF talks to his dad about what progressions are required in any simple pass play.

Because receivers and QB must be on the same page or balls go flying into "empty patches of green" or worse...interceptions,  KF might not have the best of stats by the end of the season because his interception rate will not be based on just his ability to read, anticipate, and throw...but also on the receivers.  We will probably see an interception that makes us all say "what in the world is KF thinking?" when in fact it was a misread by the receiver and a correct throw by KF.  Robin, has KF mentioned this as a concern?

Interesting article discussing "sight reads" though a bit biased against: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7218353/quarterbacking-made-simple.

We have talked about it, but it's necessary against today's defensive schemes to be flexible.

Kiehl says its much easier actually because in a simplified way of saying it, it's easier to hit a receiver that's open than one in a locked in route that's covered. 

Our receivers are smart guys that seem to be adjusting well.

I don't know what the turnovers were Saturday because I was in Arkansas, but I asked Kiehl if he threw any picks and he said no, so other than that I don't have any info.

Agreed.

That is an interesting article based upon the premise why it's tough to play using sight adjustments.

I would think that Line play and protecting the QB would alleviate some of the cons against using Sight Adjustments...I know...Captain Obvious...right...

Well the good thing is that our best receiver Blake should have no problem catching on to this route running method and will probably have even better numbers if the QBs can catch on as quickly as he does. Having a dad who was a Pro QB certainly helps when moving towards a more pro style offense ( i.e. making reads) I worry about the rest of the revceivers though being able to get in the grove because this is a big adjustment for them and the QBs. I'm glad to hear the Kiehl seems to be doing well with it so far though. Hope everyone can adjust this off season but it is going to be a tall task. Might see some ugly plays next year but hopefully there are more good than bad!

This surprised me to read. I coach at the high school level and for years our receivers have known that they could run a couple of different routes based on what the defense shows. Our quarterbacks and receivers run through pre-snap reads and hopefully come up with the same solution, and we are running team that throws the ball only out of necessity. I find it difficult to believe we haven't had the ability to alter routes under Malzahn. But it might explain why we couldn't get open against some of the teams we have played.

Does anyone know if Pigtrino does this in his offense?

I don't think Borges did it in his Gulf Coast O.

In the long term, this type of Pro Offense will no doubt pay HUGE DIVIDENDS. This new system should really boost our recruiting efforts as well, since we can truthfully say to recruits, come to AU and if you start for two years, you will be ready for the next level!

-- HOWEVER --

How long it will take our receivers and QB to adjust to a much more cerebral game? We have a pretty tough schedule from day 1 (with Clemson and then Miss State), so looks like the team is going to have to do a lot of learning over the summer.

Not worried about Blake, with his family background and his overall familiarity with the game. Blake should be able to make the transition easily and have an outstanding year. However, this new system will no doubt put pressure on our QBs who are young in age and young in the system. The QBs will have a lot more responsibility in this system. Talent is not enough in this type of system, you have to really have a brain that is wired to football and situational problem solving.

The upside for the receivers and QBs of course, is that by their junior and senior years (if they have the talent), they should be ready for the next level after starting for years in a true Pro offense. In addition, this should allow them to have break out years within the college ranks and get noticed.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see how the team catches on and executes. The coaches are right; -- the more you have to think about what you are going to do, the more mistakes that will occur and the slower you are going to be.  Our receivers and QB are going to have to really school themselves during off time and rehearse game type situations until they become routine and require little thought. In other words, only repetition, confidence, and familiarity can make you successful in this type of system.

I Don't totally buy this. Darvin was always open, Blake got open a lot. Isuspect all those routes were not all preprogramedfor the qb to just throw to a spot. As far as recruiting, I dont see this offense improving it much. I just hope it doesnt hurt it. Recruiting has been superb the last 3years on offense,especially.

I know our o-line play was lacking last year, but I still feel this does shed a little light on why people were not open as much last year.  In 2009, other teams probably didn't have much game film on our offense (assuming there were some tweaks between what Gus did a Tulsa and what he did in his first year at AU).  In 2010, everyone was open because the defense was likely worried about Cam torching them on the ground.  Last year, there would have been plenty of game film available from Malzahn's offense for defensive coordinators to notice any tendancies and put players in place to take away our routes in any given situation.  Again, no inside info or anything, but it does make sense that we didn't have many receivers open last year if we weren't adjusting routes.

The big question is "who doesn't do this?". Well apparently Malzahn doesn't which really shocks me.  No wonder we couldn't get WR open last year

I agree with this..my guess would be 95% or higher have been doing this for years. I know a large number of high school teams do as well. We often attempt to disguise our coverage because we believe we know what route they will run in certain situations if for example we show cover 3.

This is where chemistry between the WR's and QB makes a huge difference. I have seen in the NFL where a QB and WR will nod or make a gesture to each other saying " do you see what I see?" The QB knows exactly what his WR is going to do and gets him the ball right on the money.

I wonder how many teams in college football are implementing this type of route adjustment

I have not noticed another SEC team using this much adjustment. I am not as familiar with other conferences. Arkansas does use this method to a lesser degree.

I cannot help but to think Emory Blake the son of a former NFL QB might well be a major benificary of an offense that allows WR's to read a defense and adjust their routes accordingly.  Of course this is under the implied assumption that this aspect was not otherwise a part of CGM's offense.

How hard is something like this to pick up as a player?

A certain OC told me we were catching onto things very quickly...bu what does he know?  :dunno:

:wareagle:

Archived