Who's the #1 QB on AU's Big Board?

TigerWar

Hayden Rettig scouting report:

Strengths: Sturdy, thick build. Good arm strength. Good bloodlines and has been around football alot. Mobile enough to extend plays and gain some yards running. Has a good bit of upside. Has a quick release.

Weaknesses: Struggles with accuracy and ball placement. His WRs routinely have to slow down and adjust to his passes. His production is sorely lacking. Needs a lot of work on his mechanics.

Prediction: Signs with AU.

Ryan Buchanan scouting report:

Strengths:

Ideal build. Scans the field well to find his 2nd options. Mentally advanced as far as schemes and his position. Athletic with good speed. Good but not great arm. Just feels like a kid that has a lot of fun out there.

Weaknesses:

Not as instinctive as you'd like. Sloppy technique. Ball wobbles on him too much. Throws off his back foot under pressure. Buchanan is one of the potential sleepers of this year's QB class. He's got a good amount of physical ability and upside and his understanding of advanced scheme's is above average for this stage. He does have mechanical issues and will need a lot of coaching up but he's got starting caliber potential.

Prediction: Signs with Ole Miss

Cooper Bateman scouting report:

Strengths:

Big time arm. Throws a catchable ball with great touch. Extremely accurate with outstanding ball placement. Quick. He's capable of keeping plays alive with his feet. Drives through all his throws. High level upside.

Weaknesses:

Operates almost exclusively from the shotgun. Runs a spread style offense with simple reads. Drifts too often and doesn't work well in the pocket. Has a long way to go with the mental aspects of the position.

Prediction: Signs with Alabama

Per Greg Biggins of Scout: "Bateman, out of respect for the other schools he has visited, didn't want to name any favorites or say one visit was better than the others. Saying that, I definitely got the vibe that Alabama could be the team to beat right now. I probably could have written a whole story on just his visit alone, and he talked in almost reverent terms when speaking about Saban."

Kevin Olsen scouting report:

Strengths:

Arguably the most mentally advanced QB this cycle. Throws a catchable ball. Can extend plays and gain yards on the ground. Accurate with good ball placement. Polished with good footwork and mechanics. Instinctive and uses the pocket well to avoid the rush. Has good bloodlines and has been around football all his life.

Weaknesses:

Arm strength isn't what you'd expect from an elite recruit. A little bit undersized. Accuracy can get a little spotty on deeper throws. Doesn't have as much upside as some of the other QB recruits. Olsen is the most mentally advanced and ready made QB this cycle. He runs a pro style offense with lots of designed roll outs, play action, deep drops, and multiple reads that is simply rare to find out of a HS QB. His physical ability isn't quite up to par with some of his peers but he's still got more than enough to turn into into one of the best college QBs in the nation and get him to the NFL.

Thank you O & B for the previous scouting reports. Sounds like Bateman is higher rated than Rettig. BTW where do those reports come from?

Maybe Cam can help recruit Olsen to Auburn. Aren't Greg and him playing together now in Carolina. He can tell him what it's like to play QB at Auburn. I think it worked out pretty good for him. ;)

Maybe Cam can help recruit Olsen to Auburn. Aren't Greg and him playing together now in Carolina. He can tell him what it's like to play QB at Auburn. I think it worked out pretty good for him. ;)

It would be a NCAA violation for Cam to recruit for us.

It would be a NCAA violation for Cam to recruit for us.

Actually, there are stipulations where he could. We've reached out to many former Auburn athletes who are involved in youth programs, because if they knew the kid before they were a recruit, it's legal to have that contact. I'm not sure how much playing with Olsen's big brother fits into that situation, but if nothing else then Cam can talk Auburn up to Greg (the brother).

Pretty good article on Olsen that I came across. No mention of Auburn in this article, but that shouldn't cause any concern. The reason I post it is the description of his playing ability:

A look at Olsen’s high-school highlights on YouTube (below) makes it clear that the QB would eventually earn playing time no matter where he decides to go. He has touch, accuracy and an ability to move within the pocket and outside it – in many cases, unleashing throws into tight spaces while on the move.

Sounds to me like he's smart, quick on the fly, and great at making things happen. He'll have to learn how not to try to fit the ball into too many tight spaces, because in this league it's simply not possible to fit it in there all the time, but the fact that he has that pinpoint accuracy is a major boon.

I know it's just one man opinion on scouting reports but regarding these particular reports Rettig sounds much more like a developmental player than anybody.

I know it's just one man opinion on scouting reports but regarding these particular reports Rettig sounds much more like a developmental player than anybody.

From what I've heard, minus the injury, Rettig would have already committed to USC by now, because he was their #1 for this class before he got hurt. If he is 100% healthy, he is one of the top 3 QBs in the country with a pretty strong argument for being the best.

From what I've heard, minus the injury, Rettig would have already committed to USC by now, because he was their #1 for this class before he got hurt. If he is 100% healthy, he is one of the top 3 QBs in the country with a pretty strong argument for being the best.

the USC guys I've heard from say they ("they" being the posters, not the coaching staff) wanted Rettig. USC folks tend to believe Rettig has the biggest arm on the left coast.

Archived