Who's the #1 QB on AU's Big Board?

TigerWar

Would it be Cooper Bateman? Sounds like he arguably has the strongest arm in the country.

I had gotten the impression that it was 1a) Hayden Rettig, 1b) Cooper Bateman, but who knows? Might very well be a situation where it's as simple as the first one to pull the trigger gets the spot.

I think it's a top 3 with olsen, rettig, and bateman and whoever wants to commit first, takes the spot.

Could very well be the case. My gut feeling is that if NSD was tomorrow, Rettig would end up with us, Bateman would end up with uat, and Olsen would end up at the U. But then, that's just my uninformed opinion based on message board chatter.

At the moment, i believe Auburn would take Olsen or Bateman over Rettig because of his knee injury. Auburn, along with a lot of schools, are taking a wait and see approach with Rettig in seeing how he performs after his injury. Auburn is by far Rettig's best scholarship offer. The other two's lists are outstanding and they are 100% healthy.

Everything I've heard suggests that Rettig has a slight edge. Auburn might well be taking a wait and see approach, but if that is the case (and, tbh it fits pretty well) then I think it might well be a deal where as soon as his doctor clears him, he will commit to Auburn. That last part is pure speculation on my part, but nevertheless, he's been the guy I've had penciled at the top of the 2013 QB list since last fall, and while the coaches are obviously still keeping their options open, I really think there is a very strong mutual interest.

Everything I've heard suggests that Rettig has a slight edge. Auburn might well be taking a wait and see approach, but if that is the case (and, tbh it fits pretty well) then I think it might well be a deal where as soon as his doctor clears him, he will commit to Auburn. That last part is pure speculation on my part, but nevertheless, he's been the guy I've had penciled at the top of the 2013 QB list since last fall, and while the coaches are obviously still keeping their options open, I really think there is a very strong mutual interest.

You're partially right on, fwih....sounds like the coaches have a good idea who we want, but wanted the chance to do an in-person spring eval on their guys before decided who they REALLY want to push. But I think everyone is pretty spot on with who the main 3-4 guys are they'd like as of now.

So, is the Johnson kid out of Montgomery completely out of the picture for AU?

I don't think so, but at this point I think he's a backup plan more than anything. If we have the room to sign a second QB as a project, then he'll probably be in orange and blue, but I don't expect to have room for another one in spite of the number of people who think we need two.

I would guess that Cooper Bateman would be our #1 choice. He definitely has that QB style of play that CSL would like to develop into something great. Hard to get guys from the west coast but I hope we get him. But whomever we decide to go with as QB for the 2013 is cool with me. I know that CSL is very good at picking out top QB talent.

I don't think so, but at this point I think he's a backup plan more than anything. If we have the room to sign a second QB as a project, then he'll probably be in orange and blue, but I don't expect to have room for another one in spite of the number of people who think we need two.

I consider Johnson less of a risk at this point than Rettig coming off a major ACL tear. I want our top QB target to be 100% healthy and knee injuries are unpredictable (Neil Caudle).

If Rettig wasn't injured, we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. Rettig would be a USC Trojan who backed off of him after he had gotten hurt.

Rettig could be a blessing in disguise for Auburn. If he passes all his Spring evaluations, and returns to form, we could be getting the top QB in America in the 2013 class. Rettig passed for 508 yards, 6 TDs, the game before his injury which is a school record for yards.

We think alike. I have felt for weeks that we will land Rettig.

I consider Johnson less of a risk at this point than Rettig coming off a major ACL tear. I want our top QB target to be 100% healthy and knee injuries are unpredictable (Neil Caudle).

If Rettig wasn't injured, we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. Rettig would be a USC Trojan who backed off of him after he had gotten hurt.

Rettig could be a blessing in disguise for Auburn. If he passes all his Spring evaluations, and returns to form, we could be getting the top QB in America in the 2013 class. Rettig passed for 508 yards, 6 TDs, the game before his injury which is a school record for yards.

And see, that's what I think is happening here: the coaches know his upside if he returns to form, and thus they are staying in the game with him hardcore now and banking on him healing properly. If he does, we're ahead of the game by a fair margin.

Johnson isn't so much a risk as he is a project, and I think Loeffler wants a more polished type of QB, like Rettig or Bateman.

And see, that's what I think is happening here: the coaches know his upside if he returns to form, and thus they are staying in the game with him hardcore now and banking on him healing properly. If he does, we're ahead of the game by a fair margin.

Johnson isn't so much a risk as he is a project, and I think Loeffler wants a more polished type of QB, like Rettig or Bateman.

I hear what you are saying about Johnson Red, but Malzahn didn't think he was a project. As a matter of fact, Malzahn had Johnson and Sandberg at the top of his list.

If Johnson doesn't sign with Auburn, he'll end at a school like LSU, South Carolina, Clemson, or Mississippi State. Johnson landing a gig at schools like those wouldn't be considered a project in my book.

I hear what you are saying about Johnson Red, but Malzahn didn't think he was a project. As a matter of fact, Malzahn had Johnson and Sandberg at the top of his list.

If Johnson doesn't sign with Auburn, he'll end at a school like LSU, South Carolina, Clemson, or Mississippi State. Johnson landing a gig at schools like those wouldn't be considered a project in my book.

Yea but Malzahn runs a different offense from Leoffler. Johnson maybe a great college QB, but Bateman or Rettig would be a safer pick in most peoples opinion.

Very true but Johnson is not a total project like some like to believe. He will sign a scholarship with a very good school.

How safe a pick Rettig is will be determined based on how sound that knee is coming off a serious ACL injury. Some western schools have their doubts and you can tell by studying his offer sheet.

If we miss out on Johnson because we are waiting on some other guys, I sure do hope we get the other guy. I would hate to lose a kid with his talent and interest in coming to AU.

Very true but Johnson is not a total project like some like to believe. He will sign a scholarship with a very good school.

How safe a pick Rettig is will be determined based on how sound that knee is coming off a serious ACL injury. Some western schools have their doubts and you can tell by studying his offer sheet.

Well it's not as if he hasn't played the position before, and he has all the talent in the world, but yeah, I'd say he's a project. Malzahn being high on him doesn't do anything to dissuade my opinion, either. Zeke Pike, whom Malzahn was also high on, is a project. Malzahn's offense is predicated upon athleticism at QB, but not a whole lot of decision making. With each new decision a QB has to make in a play (i.e. audibles, checking down receivers, scrambling, etc), the complexity is squared, and defenses are designed to take advantage of that.

Gus took a big chunk of that decision making process out of the QB's hands by calling plays from the sidelines. He also generally gave the QB just one read, one decision, thereby diminishing the need for a polished signal caller to make the system work.

Loeffler likes Johnson, yes, but there are others higher on his list. I'll be honest: I'll be delighted if we sign Johnson as our only QB, because he's an outstanding prospect.

That he is viewed as more a backup plan is a testament to our level of recruiting. If Rettig doesn't heal completely, I would say Bateman is probably next on the coaches' list. Johnson is probably more fourth or fifth on that list. That's not a slight against him, it's just a recognition that while he might well have more upside than QBs rated higher, he is also more of a project type of player.

I believe our chances of getting Kevin Olsen are better than getting Bateman. I believe Bateman ends up at UAT.

For the star gazers, two of the major recruiting services have Johnson rated higher than Rettig. That is a heck of an accomplishment for a kid being counted out as a total project before he plays his senior year.

I know Rettig, Bateman, and Olsen are high on Auburn and the feeling is obviously mutual, but I think in the end they stay closer to home.  Just recruiting these guys puts our name out there and helps with our national reputation.  I think all the other coaches want JJ, but CSL needs to evaluate all his options before making his decision. I think we'll sign Johnson and also Jason Smith as QB/athlete.  HS QB Luper may sign as an athlete at last minute possibly a flip. Just my 2 cents

I know Rettig, Bateman, and Olsen are high on Auburn and the feeling is obviously mutual, but I think in the end they stay closer to home.  Just recruiting these guys puts our name out there and helps with our national reputation.  I think all the other coaches want JJ, but CSL needs to evaluate all his options before making his decision. I think we'll sign Johnson and also Jason Smith as QB/athlete.  HS QB Luper may sign as an athlete at last minute possibly a flip. Just my 2 cents

IMO our 4th option would be Ryan Buchanan over Johnson........in a landslide, IMO.

Buchanan is absolutely right there with the 3 presumptive favorites to be AU's '13 QB.

Archived