Scrimmage notes

bootskii

Baring an injury or complete meltdown KF will be the starter on opening day. Don't be surprised if Grant isn't the #1 RB or at least 1B. I  believe OM will be the starter because of his hard work and time with the program, but Grant will get more than his fair share of carriers. Javon will be redshirted unless there is an early injury.

Auburn basically has two types of tailbacks with Onterrio on the roster -- a speed back and an in between the tackle back. Technically we'll have three type of backs once Jovon Robinson makes it on campus as we add a power back with a 220 lb. frame. I'd say Mason, Grant, and Blakely are your typical 5-10, 200 lb. durable tailback and are all very comparable, so yeah, we'll have three different types of backs this season when you factor in Onterrio and Jovon, though the true freshman will possibly rs due to the depth.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From watching highlights it also looks like KF has so much more ball velocity compares to Clint and Zeke. His mechanics also look pretty sharp.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I've been really impressed with the bits I've seen. Between Kiehl's natural abilities and Coach Loeffler's tutoring, I think Kiehl is going to develop into an amazing QB over the next couple of years.

KF has excellent quick footwork and a tight throwing motion, giving him a delivery where the ball seems to pop out of his hand.  If I were to use one word to describe him as a QB, I think that word would be "smooth".

I did notice that his timing for the delivery on a couple routes was just a "split" second slow but that will fall into place with enough repetitions and working with each receiver. Repetitions will increase the speed of his scan. It will be the difference on short to medium patterns between the receiver coming open and then taking 1 step vs 2 steps as the ball is there. Once he fine tunes all his reads and the timing with each receiver, with his "smoothness", KF is going to be something. 

Just curious, how did you determine that he was even a split second slow? Is it something that is standard with 3-5 step drops that the ball comes out at a very specific time or is there some difference from one 5 step drop to another?

Speaking of RB's, does anyone have any info on Blakely? I know he missed Saturday's scrimmage, but I haven't heard much about him. Just wondering.

Speaking of RB's, does anyone have any info on Blakely? I know he missed Saturday's scrimmage, but I haven't heard much about him. Just wondering.

Just competing for a job and playing time. He of course missed the scrimmage due to the birth of his son, but he's been getting a steady dose of the rock during spring just like his cohorts Mason and Grant. The coaches know what they got in Onterio, so there's a lot of competition going on between Blakely, Mason and Grant and all indications are that Grant is really stepping up to the plate to be the counter back to McCalleb. However, with that said, I firmly believe that all four backs (McCalleb, Mason, Grant, Blakely) will all get there fair share of carries through the duration of the season, unless or until, Loeffler discovers a guy that excels come game time and gets stronger with each carry, especially in the fourth quarter.

If Auburn really wants to go to a more physical brand of football that includes a lot of running in between the tackles then it's imperative that we have a healthy stable of runningbacks with the nicks, bruises, twisted ankles, bum knees, etc. that go along with playing in the SEC, so if you're a big fan of Blakely then rest easy because he will definitely get ever opportunity to shine.

From watching highlights it also looks like KF has so much more ball velocity compares to Clint and Zeke. His mechanics also look pretty sharp.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. I've been really impressed with the bits I've seen. Between Kiehl's natural abilities and Coach Loeffler's tutoring, I think Kiehl is going to develop into an amazing QB over the next couple of years.

KF has excellent quick footwork and a tight throwing motion, giving him a delivery where the ball seems to pop out of his hand.  If I were to use one word to describe him as a QB, I think that word would be "smooth".

I did notice that his timing for the delivery on a couple routes was just a "split" second slow but that will fall into place with enough repetitions and working with each receiver. Repetitions will increase the speed of his scan. It will be the difference on short to medium patterns between the receiver coming open and then taking 1 step vs 2 steps as the ball is there. Once he fine tunes all his reads and the timing with each receiver, with his "smoothness", KF is going to be something. 

Just curious, how did you determine that he was even a split second slow? Is it something that is standard with 3-5 step drops that the ball comes out at a very specific time or is there some difference from one 5 step drop to another?

It was on a couple of the short to medium completions on the latest video. On one in particular, the receiver made his cut, got good separation and was open for 3 full strides before the ball was released. A second earlier in recognition and the release will come on stride 1 and the receiver will get the ball on stride 2. This is of little concern now because as he gets his reads down and increases the speed of his scan, with his skills this will all be resolved with repetitions.

As fas the the QB steps, the steps on the drop back have to match the pattern for the primary receiver so that is up to the OC. Whatever the steps, the throw has to be made before the safety can help out and close the window.

Just competing for a job and playing time. He of course missed the scrimmage due to the birth of his son, but he's been getting a steady dose of the rock during spring just like his cohorts Mason and Grant. The coaches know what they got in Onterio, so there's a lot of competition going on between Blakely, Mason and Grant and all indications are that Grant is really stepping up to the plate to be the counter back to McCalleb. However, with that said, I firmly believe that all four backs (McCalleb, Mason, Grant, Blakely) will all get there fair share of carries through the duration of the season, unless or until, Loeffler discovers a guy that excels come game time and gets stronger with each carry, especially in the fourth quarter.

If Auburn really wants to go to a more physical brand of football that includes a lot of running in between the tackles then it's imperative that we have a healthy stable of runningbacks with the nicks, bruises, twisted ankles, bum knees, etc. that go along with playing in the SEC, so if you're a big fan of Blakely then rest easy because he will definitely get ever opportunity to shine.

The 4 Horsemen ? I think we will have a real advantage cycling in 4 top quality backs and keeping them fresh, especially in the second half of very physical games. Also like you said, an injury can happen at any time.

Archived