Petrino Threads Merged

Elephant Tipper

Remember Rick Pitino  @ L'ville ?

It is not going to happen, too much money to be had in a one trick pony state. 

Large legal fees, cover ups, contract penalites,  buy offs and meal culpas to follow, film @ 11.

Once a cheeter always a cheeter.  Just wait until they get to his other cover ups...  Like Other women... Or covering up drug tests for athletes? ... or covering up payments to football players? .. Covering up of athletes' arrests?

we just do not know what this will lead to.  Either does AD Jeff Long.  Can Long really take the risk of having the NCAA come snooping around in the future to find Petrino was hiding something else?

This is a giant risk. He would be gambling the University's and his own character and reputation on a known lier.  They will forever be known as the school that raises men without character or honor.

Of course we are talking about Arkansas here.  They already sold their soul to Petrino.  How much lower can they get.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that recruits or their parents are necessarily looking at the morales of the coaching staff in making their decisions.  Look at the shady practices comeing from the west side of the state and at the 'U'.  Don't get me wrong, some parents actually do get involved and some players actually make educated/informed decisions.  I guess I say all this to say I don't really think it will affect the recruiting that much.

Sad to say but true... It could have an impact for a family with high moral values, but sadly, that does not include too many families these days.

I know that with Malzahn gone, we may not be recruiting Arkansas as hard as we have the last few years, but I figured I'd ask if there were any guys we were going head to head with them for. Even if Petrino keeps his job, I can't imagine this doesn't hurt him on the recruiting trail, because no matter what it seriously calls his character into question.

I'm not sure that recruits or their parents are necessarily looking at the morales of the coaching staff in making their decisions.  Look at the shady practices comeing from the west side of the state and at the 'U'.  Don't get me wrong, some parents actually do get involved and some players actually make educated/informed decisions.  I guess I say all this to say I don't really think it will affect the recruiting that much.

I know we've all heard that the most important person to recruit is the mom. I can't see too many moms looking at BP in a very favorably light after this little episode. Arkansas is going to be a very hard sell if he remains. All other coaches have to say is look at what he did to Louisville, Atlanta and now his wife. The guy can't be trusted with anything, why would a parent trust him with their son?

If Arkansas was smart they'd use this to make a move for Malzahn or even Tuberville.  Gus could lock the state down recruiting wise.  Tubs would improve their defense and he would recruit the same as Petrino and maybe a bit better. 

Either way, it's going to be a hard sell for Petrino to come into any players house and convince mom that he is going to teach her son integrity, honesty or responsibility.  Petrino doesn't seem to be much of a recruiter as is. 

Large legal fees, cover ups, contract penalites,  buy offs and meal culpas to follow, film @ 11.

Once a cheeter always a cheeter.  Just wait until they get to his other cover ups...  Like Other women... Or covering up drug tests for athletes? ... or covering up payments to football players? .. Covering up of athletes' arrests?

we just do not know what this will lead to.  Either does AD Jeff Long.   Can Long really take the risk of having the NCAA come snooping around in the future to find Petrino was hiding something else?

This is a giant risk. He would be gambling the University's and his own character and reputation on a known lier.  They will forever be known as the school that raises men without character or honor.

Of course we are talking about Arkansas here.  They already sold their soul to Petrino.  How much lower can they get.

A job at bama?

If Arkansas was smart they'd use this to make a move for Malzahn or even Tuberville.  Gus could lock the state down recruiting wise.  Tubs would improve their defense and he would recruit the same as Petrino and maybe a bit better. 

Either way, it's going to be a hard sell for Petrino to come into any players house and convince mom that he is going to teach her son integrity, honesty or responsibility.  Petrino doesn't seem to be much of a recruiter as is. 

Not sure about the recruiting part of that. Tubs could definitely lock down Arkansas recruiting wise, but I don't see him doing well competing for out of state guys. I never thought Tubs was a bad recruiter, but there is no way he ever put in as much work at is as a Gene Chizik, Les Miles, Mack Brown, or nick saban, who he would be primarily competing head to head with for out-of-sate guys.

I really think Arkansas wants Malzahn, but I really think they want him to have a year or two under his belt as a head coach before handing him the keys to the program. As such, I suspect Petrino keeps his job for a while longer before being pressured out or they find an excuse to can him.

I would be highly surprised if Petrino lost his job. I think that Petrino is a better all around coach than Gus, and a much better coach than Tubs.

I would be highly surprised if Petrino lost his job. I think that Petrino is a better all around coach than Gus, and a much better coach than Tubs.

Yet Tubs took us to an undefeated year and Gus helped us to a national championship. Petrino has never known either.

If I were Arkansas and they wanted to replace Petrino, Tommy Tuberville would be the best choice. Not that I want him to go there, Tommy is a top notch head coach and i would not want to compete with him year after year.

No knock on Malzahn, but as brilliant as an offensive coordinator as he is, he has no head coaching experience. In all reality Tuberviile SHOULD have a national championship on his resume. He and Auburn were screwed by the BCS.

Hard to see Arkansas canning Petrino. He is one of if not the best offensive minds in college football. Who could they get to come to Arkansas to sustain where he has taken them? I am a fan of Tubs and Malzahn, but honestly see both as a major downgrade from Petrino. Considering his recruiting base at Arkansas it is remarkable what he has done there.

Guest JNieder51188

we just do not know what this will lead to.  Either does AD Jeff Long.   Can Long really take the risk of having the NCAA come snooping around in the future to find Petrino was hiding something else?

How does him cheating on his wife have anything to do with the NCAA investigating them? cheating on a spouse has no correlation to cheating in sports. thats a stretch for wishful thinking.

How does him cheating on his wife have anything to do with the NCAA investigating them? cheating on a spouse has no correlation to cheating in sports. thats a stretch for wishful thinking.

I am not saying the two would be correlated.  I am saying the risk of Petrino covering something else up is now greater then the odds of him being squeeky clean in the rest of his life.  Even professionally. 

If they guy is willing to use the State police to help him cover his butt, and have the School make an untrue  anouncement to unknowingly cover his butt,  it is not a stretch to think he is a risk to the school for covering up something else.  May Be multiple things.  I would put the odds of him covering up something for an athlete MUCH higher now than I would have a week ago.  I bet the AD does too.

If the cop was helping him cover it up and they can prove it then the cop will get fired and it will be all over the news. That would probably be the last straw because Arkansas would get all tied up in crooked cop and illegal cover up stories if they didn't fired him and show they are not going to put up with covering things up. Every time a player gets in trouble for something with the cops there will be claims that Petrino got his cop friends to cover it up, all because this happened.

Also now the Arkansas reporters on ESPN are saying one of the biggest things is that they are looking into the girl's recent hire and who else applied for the job. They said if she was not clearly the best applicant that it probably means BP hired her because of their relationship and would make the decision to fired him easy.

Coaches have escaped far worse situations than this. No way I think Petrino loses his job. He'll get some sort of slap on the wrist so that the Arky big-wigs can save face, but I think that's it. Obviously if new facts emerge, things could change.

If the cop was helping him cover it up and they can prove it then the cop will get fired and it will be all over the news. That would probably be the last straw because Arkansas would get all tied up in crooked cop and illegal cover up stories if they didn't fired him and show they are not going to put up with covering things up. Every time a player gets in trouble for something with the cops there will be claims that Petrino got his cop friends to cover it up, all because this happened.

Also now the Arkansas reporters on ESPN are saying one of the biggest things is that they are looking into the girl's recent hire and who else applied for the job. They said if she was not clearly the best applicant that it probably means BP hired her because of their relationship and would make the decision to fired him easy.

This state will come unglued if they fire sCBP.  Most Arkansas fans do not care about the rest of the university as a learning institution,  and openly state they are willing to sell out the integrity of the university for a chance at a MNC. 

The rest are ostriching and think it is just about an afair.

Tubs better be worried about his job at TT. Anything less than a 9 win season and he's probably gone from there. He's got his own legal problems he's got to sort out, so I'm not sure Arky can fire one man on grounds for integrity and bring in another with a multimillion dollar law suit pending. I don't think/care if BP stays, but CTT would be a significant downgrade at this time.

Not sure about the recruiting part of that. Tubs could definitely lock down Arkansas recruiting wise, but I don't see him doing well competing for out of state guys. I never thought Tubs was a bad recruiter, but there is no way he ever put in as much work at is as a Gene Chizik, Les Miles, Mack Brown, or nick saban, who he would be primarily competing head to head with for out-of-sate guys.

Why do you think Tubs would lock down Arkansas in recruiting? He damn sure didn't lock down Alabama once Saban got there, and his successes against Shula could be mostly attributed to the fact that Bama was on probation and couldn't buy the number of players they normally would have been able to get.

Why do you think Tubs would lock down Arkansas in recruiting? He damn sure didn't lock down Alabama once Saban got there, and his successes against Shula could be mostly attributed to the fact that Bama was on probation and couldn't buy the number of players they normally would have been able to get.

Because Tubs has roots in Arkansas and recruited well from that area even when he was at Auburn. Combine that with Arky being in the only real in-state presence, then yes, I think he would have little problem locking down that state.

Because Tubs has roots in Arkansas and recruited well from that area even when he was at Auburn. Combine that with Arky being in the only real in-state presence, then yes, I think he would have little problem locking down that state.

Tubs has his own issues so I don't know if Arkansas would touch him right now-- they don't need to bring in another 'potential embarrassment' :

His won/loss record at TT.

An investment related law suit against him.

?His wife's automobile accident.

?Taken for a bath by another former coach in an investment related scam.

You said that Tubs recruited ARK well when he was at AU, but I checked rosters back to 2001 and found all of 3 players from that state: Josh Sullivan, a QB from Little Rock; Lee Ziemba (and since both of his parents were AU grads, I think it would be safe to say that AU was the leader for his signature during the recruiting process), and Kodi Burns. I do agree that since the Univ. of Ark is the main university in that state, it wouldn't be hard for xCTT to lock it down. I will say this, though---xCTT absolutely did lock down the duck blinds in state since that's what he was doing when Nick Saban was locking down the State of Alabama.

Archived