Petrino Threads Merged

Elephant Tipper

I agree that he handled himself with class and did the right thing by firing Petrino, but lets not forget that Long is also the one who hired Petrino to begin with even after Petrino had secretly flirted with AU while coaching at UL, and then the way he left the Falcons hanging in mid-season....

Would you really want an AD at Auburn who is willing to hire people of 'questionable' character just for the sake of winning? That said, I saw the press conference, and I think Long handled the situation very well, but he was simply cleaning up a mess that was caused by a risky employee who he chose to hire.

I thought Frank Broyles was the AD that hired Petrino.  Didn't Long get there after Petrino?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that he handled himself with class and did the right thing by firing Petrino, but lets not forget that Long is also the one who hired Petrino to begin with even after Petrino had secretly flirted with AU while coaching at UL, and then the way he left the Falcons hanging in mid-season....

Would you really want an AD at Auburn who is willing to hire people of 'questionable' character just for the sake of winning? That said, I saw the press conference, and I think Long handled the situation very well, but he was simply cleaning up a mess that was caused by a risky employee who he chose to hire.

I thought Frank Broyles was the AD that hired Petrino.  Didn't Long get there after Petrino?

No Long hired Petrino.

Long hired him, but only after being told too....

Remember.. We had Tommy T... Uhhh, no we didnt... yet he was fired shortly after by you folks.

then we had Grobe... who backed out.....

Then Bowden... Uhhhh, the board stopped this as quick as we were contacted by Petrino's attorney... and he was hired within 24 hours.

Long had very little to do with the hire, i know this for a fact... he simply flew to pick him up and sign a contract already worked out via the board of trustees and PTB....

the same PTB that said... "He has to go"....

That didn't take as long as I thought it might take. I give huge props to the Arky AD for doing the right thing and doing it in a reasonable time frame.

There have been many discussions back and forth about wither a coach is just a coach or a teacher/role model. On the college level he is a role model. There was one statement that was made in the linked article that upholds my thoughts on this.

"Our expectations of character and integrity in our employees can be no less than what we expect of our students," Long said

These are still impressionable young men, Coaches at the colligate level are not just there to win, but to turn young men in to respectable men and leaders. You can't do that by making horribly wrong decisions and abusing your power. Unfortunately it seems that with power comes corruption.

The other thing that got me was part of Patrino’s statement.

"My sole focus at this point is trying to repair the damage I've done to my family. They did not ask for any of this and deserve better. I am committed to being a better husband, father and human being as a result of this and will work each and every day to prove that to my family, friends and others."

He should have been working on his family instead of a 25 yr old girl. I have been married for 17 years and have 2 teenage daughters. It’s never easy but dedication, commitment and the thoughtfulness to remove one’s self from temptation sure makes life a lot easier. It’s obvious that his commitment to his family isn’t there.  This is a really sad fact obvious by the events that transpired. I hope he can heal his relationships with his family and honor the commitment he made when he got married. I doubt it will ever be the same though. I feel somewhat sorry for him and very sorry for his family.

Nice post, Stripe.

Double me on this. Nice post.

My intent when i started this thread was really to focus on how grateful I am for Coach Chizik.

Yes, I just had to get that off my chest, read it yesterday on another thread, and it was bugging me. When I read the article attached it hit me again.

As for CGC. I'm extatic. I was not happy when TT let him go, and was very excited when he returned as a HC. As time passes watching him take charge of the program and keep holding our young men to standards that they should be held to it makes me very proud to be part of the family.

I am also happy that you and Kiehl are part of the family as well. I enjoy your insite and conversation. I can't wait to enjoy watching kiehl take command of the team and lead them to greatness.

War Eagle! Mr. Beach.

When you are an offensive genius, you get a job in the NFL. When you get

a job in the NFL, you lose games. When you lose games, you take a job at

Arkansas. When you live in Arkansas, you get bored. When you get bored,

you go looking for strange. When you go looking for strange, you find

strange. When you find strange, you take it for a ride on your

motorcycle. When you take strange for a ride on your motorcycle, she

reaches around and grabs your junk. When she grabs your junk, you wreck

your motorcycle. When you wreck your motorcycle, you end up at a press

conference in a neck brace. Don't end up at a press conference in a neck

brace...switch from cable and upgrade to DirecTV.

When you are an offensive genius, you get a job in the NFL. When you get

a job in the NFL, you lose games. When you lose games, you take a job at

Arkansas. When you live in Arkansas, you get bored. When you get bored,

you go looking for strange. When you go looking for strange, you find

strange. When you find strange, you take it for a ride on your

motorcycle. When you take strange for a ride on your motorcycle, she

reaches around and grabs your junk. When she grabs your junk, you wreck

your motorcycle. When you wreck your motorcycle, you end up at a press

conference in a neck brace. Don't end up at a press conference in a neck

brace...switch from cable and upgrade to DirecTV.

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=45509.msg866096#msg866096

Long hired him, but only after being told too....

Remember.. We had Tommy T... Uhhh, no we didnt... yet he was fired shortly after by you folks.

then we had Grobe... who backed out.....

Then Bowden... Uhhhh, the board stopped this as quick as we were contacted by Petrino's attorney... and he was hired within 24 hours.

Long had very little to do with the hire, i know this for a fact... he simply flew to pick him up and sign a contract already worked out via the board of trustees and PTB....

the same PTB that said... "He has to go"....

Things usually work that way -  the AD has only so much control.  In most every situation, the BOT/PTB along with the school president make the ultimate decision on the hiring/firing of high profile coaches.

If Arkansas was smart they'd use this to make a move for Malzahn or even Tuberville.  Gus could lock the state down recruiting wise.  Tubs would improve their defense and he would recruit the same as Petrino and maybe a bit better. 

Either way, it's going to be a hard sell for Petrino to come into any players house and convince mom that he is going to teach her son integrity, honesty or responsibility.  Petrino doesn't seem to be much of a recruiter as is. 

I would be highly surprised if Petrino lost his job. I think that Petrino is a better all around coach than Gus, and a much better coach than Tubs.

Yet Tubs took us to an undefeated year and Gus helped us to a national championship. Petrino has never known either.

Tubbs's coaching staff is responsible for the 04 season. Did you ever watch Tubbs during the games? He was the most uninvolved coach that I've ever watched.  Tubbs also threw away the '03 season with his OC hiring choice.  However, Borges was the best offensive (possibly all around best) hiring decision that Tubs ever made, and firing Borges was his worst decision.  Keep in mind that I have always been an anti-Tubbs guy, so my anti-tubbs glasses might get in the way of me seeing him like the rest of you do.  To me, he just wasn't an Auburn man. Nothing about his personality ever made me think that he honestly believed in "work, hard work.". Pat Dye and Gene Chizik are both hard workers. Win or lose, I can respect a man that gives it his all.

I like Gus, but IMO Petrino is a better coach than Gus. In time Gus might become a better coach than Petrino, but that is not the case now.

By firing Petrino, Arkansas just ensured that they will return to mediocrity. Petrino was wrong for having an affair, but that is his personal life. Only God should judge him for that, not us, nor a university.

If Arkansas was smart they'd use this to make a move for Malzahn or even Tuberville.  Gus could lock the state down recruiting wise.  Tubs would improve their defense and he would recruit the same as Petrino and maybe a bit better. 

Either way, it's going to be a hard sell for Petrino to come into any players house and convince mom that he is going to teach her son integrity, honesty or responsibility.  Petrino doesn't seem to be much of a recruiter as is. 

I would be highly surprised if Petrino lost his job. I think that Petrino is a better all around coach than Gus, and a much better coach than Tubs.

Yet Tubs took us to an undefeated year and Gus helped us to a national championship. Petrino has never known either.

Tubbs's coaching staff is responsible for the 04 season. Did you ever watch Tubbs during the games? He was the most uninvolved coach that I've ever watched.  Tubbs also threw away the '03 season with his OC hiring choice.  However, Borges was the best offensive (possibly all around best) hiring decision that Tubs ever made, and firing Borges was his worst decision.  Keep in mind that I have always been an anti-Tubbs guy, so my anti-tubbs glasses might get in the way of me seeing him like the rest of you do.  To me, he just wasn't an Auburn man. Nothing about his personality ever made me think that he honestly believed in "work, hard work.". Pat Dye and Gene Chizik are both hard workers. Win or lose, I can respect a man that gives it his all.

I like Gus, but IMO Petrino is a better coach than Gus. In time Gus might become a better coach than Petrino, but that is not the case now.

By firing Petrino, Arkansas just ensured that they will return to mediocrity. Petrino was wrong for having an affair, but that is his personal life. Only God should judge him for that, not us, nor a university.

Not if there is a clause in his contract to behave in a manner becoming of a head football coach, and to respect and behave in a manner becoming of the University of Arkansas etc. etc. etc.

Not if there is a clause in his contract to behave in a manner becoming of a head football coach, and to respect and behave in a manner becoming of the University of Arkansas etc. etc. etc.

Plus its more about him hiring the girl after his relationship with her

he was fired for lying to the university and for having a voice in the hiring process of his girl.

Well... I hate it period, for his family, the kids he coached, recruits coming in.... and our program

It is extremely sad, sad, sad.....

I agree Rev. My son goes to Arkansas and loves the school so he like you is sad. No University needs to be treated this way by their coach.  When I asked him about this he said I just might be doing a little more hunting this year and a little less going to football games. Since he loves hunting and Arkansas has great hunting there is a Silver lining to even something like this.

Well... I hate it period, for his family, the kids he coached, recruits coming in.... and our program

Rev, it is sad when people in power abuse their power. It happens all the time, and probably always has. With all the media now, etc. I think people are getting caught more often. I agree to feel sorry for those you mentioned, but Petrino is not someone we should feel sorry for. This would not have happened if it were not for him. 

Take care.....things will get better.

I disagree, yesterday was a step in the right direction.  Hog fans should be optimistic about the future and be happy Petrino is gone.  Every program goes through it and it stinks, but brighter days are ahead.

I have clearly read way too much the past several days about this former AU OC who is now the former HC of Arkansas too.

That said, I have an observation that I have yet to see anyone bring up.  Bobby Petrino was riding around Arkansas on his Harley within 20 miles of campus with a very attractive blonde (and not a real petite girl) who was obviously not his wife AND as best I can tell from the reports, neither was wearing a helmet.  Even if he hadn't had the accident, did he think that as a successful home state major college football coach he was somehow invisible?!?  I'm convinced the affair would have gotten out sooner or later because he was apparently unconcerned about being seen.  Obviously it may have been handled differently behind closed doors absent the lying and other issues.  But I've about concluded that maybe his "brilliant mind" is exclusively isolated to the gridiron, because the rest of his actions surrounding this episode seem pretty dumb.

I have clearly read way too much the past several days about this former AU OC who is now the former HC of Arkansas too.

That said, I have an observation that I have yet to see anyone bring up.  Bobby Petrino was riding around Arkansas on his Harley within 20 miles of campus with a very attractive blonde (and not a real petite girl) who was obviously not his wife AND as best I can tell from the reports, neither was wearing a helmet.  Even if he hadn't had the accident, did he think that as a successful home state major college football coach he was somehow invisible?!?  I'm convinced the affair would have gotten out sooner or later because he was apparently unconcerned about being seen.  Obviously it may have been handled differently behind closed doors absent the lying and other issues.  But I've about concluded that maybe his "brilliant mind" is exclusively isolated to the gridiron, because the rest of his actions surrounding this episode seem pretty dumb.

Well there is that and the fact he had rib and back/neck injuries and chose to ride to the emergency room by multiple passenger vehicles rather than stay immobile until an ambulance could transfer him.  He is lucky he didn't cause a lot more physical damage to himself and his passenger by acting irresponsible in handling the accident that way.  Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses.

Well there is that and the fact he had rib and back/neck injuries and chose to ride to the emergency room by multiple passenger vehicles rather than stay immobile until an ambulance could transfer him.  He is lucky he didn't cause a lot more physical damage to himself and his passenger by acting irresponsible in handling the accident that way.  Sometimes you have to know when to cut your losses.

Yeah, that would fall into the "the rest of his actions surrounding this episode seem pretty dumb" part of my comment.

The cell call and text trail is being slowly released and some of it isn't very pretty. In one 4 day period as many as 54 calls or text between Petrino and his passneger/employee :-\ Ruh Roh. Can pics be far behind? :laugh:

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2012/apr/11/arkansas-releases-petrino-phone-records/?latest

I like to imagine that Jeff Long simply told Petrino to "hit the road", and then laughed quietly to himself at his own double-entendre.

For the bammer lurkers: double entendre means a word or expression capable of two interpretations.

**Are you trying to make their turd minds explode? They can't handle tough words like that.  ;D

This board is Auburn only. Turds view at their own risk. Logic confuses them, basic counting skills are completely unknown to them, and third grade vocabulary is over their head. If we pander to them with all of our posts, how then can we express the nuances that mold each singular perspective into the force that is the Auburn Family? ;)

The comedic aspect of my post just flew straight over your head didn't it.  It was a joke.  ;D

:laugh: No, I got it. You missed it in mine though, apparently.

Oh no, I got it. It just had a certain "corrective" type tone to it. No worries.

He always has that type tone! :)

Archived