Top 5 Position Battles

WarEagleAU

Friction,

I think that is what you are really trying to start.

You are not going to get me to talk negatively about Clint Moseley. I have stood up for him several times on this board. I think he has good  QB potential, is a fierce competitor, and will not go down without a fight.

But facts are facts. Read the scouting reports on Kiehl Frazier.  The reason he was so highly recruited was not only because of his legs, but also his arm.

Here are facts about Kiehl Frazier

(1) Most sought after player in the state of Arkansas, EVER (Source Frontline PBS)

(2) Average PASSING YARDS per game, 198.3 (Senior Year)

(3) Total Passing Yards 2,975 (Shiloh Christian --  Senior Year)

(4) Over 1100 yards rushing (Senior Year).

(5) USA Offensive Player of the year -2010

(6) Under Armour All-American

(7) NWA News Player of the Year

(8) MaxPreps 1st team All-American

(9) 3 time state championship (4A)

(10)  QB Rating 131

Now again, I am not attempting to take anything away from Clint Moseley.

(1) State of Alabama's Mr. Football 2008

(2) Over 3,000 yards passing in his senior year

(3) As a QB won over 25 straight games, won 3 2A state championships

Please look at facts, not fiction. It is OK to have your favorite, but don't make speculative comments without making sure you are correct in your assessments.

I think these are the top five:

1. QB- Frazier vs Moseley (My prediction: Moseley by a hair). Ultimately, I think it depends on what Loeffler thinks we need at quarterback. Which skill set at qb fits our impact players best?

2. Slot Receiver- Bray vs Reed (My prediction: Reed, but both will play significantly)

3. Oline in general- In my opinion, westerman, dismukes, and sullen are going to play somewhere. The question is where will they play and who takes the other two spots between mack, robinson, and slade. (My predictions are either: Robinson, Sullen, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade (this gives us the benefit of two talented redshirt freshmen starting)OR Sullen, Mack, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade(this gives us the benefit of having two less experienced guys, mack and westerman, anchored by 3 returning starters which may help them develop better)).

4. Defensive tackle- We have several guys here that are on virtually an equal level. (No predition. It could be any two of them.)

5. Cornerback- Bell, if he is healthy, will obviously be one. Who will take the other spot? Whitehead vs Davis vs mincy (Predition: Davis... I would have said Whitehead, but CVG said something about him playing in the slot and playing some safety.)

Honorable mention. Back up tight end spot. With Loeffler's pro leaning multiple system, we will probably see more two tight end sets. Fulse vs Uzomah vs hutcherson vs parks (Prediction: Fulse).

With regards to Frost, I think he will be playing behind (and sharing time with) Bates. He has a slightly similar build. He is a smaller linebacker. I think they will try to train him for the weak side lb position so that he can replace Bates next year.

I also think that Benton will secure his spot this year. A few days ago, there was an interview with Blake where he said D-lo's biggest problems were staying healthy and getting open. He followed up that comment by saying that this system has made it easier for him (and all of the receivers) to get open. I think that Coates will play behind Blake.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one will know who is correct until the coaches put out an official depth chart, but one thing I'll have to disagree on is the "which QB has a better skill set" comment. I've noticed that you have said similar things on other post and I'm just wondering what you mean by that. From everything I've heard/read from players, coaches and team reporters KF seems to have everything but size advantage over CM. I know it's difficult to state why one would think one player would start over another without downgrading a member of the team, but I'm genuinely curious as to what you're basing your point from. I hope it's not the stereotypical Black QB is more of an athlete and less of a passer, because I firmly believe that is not the case with KF.

hh

Moseley is more of a traditional type quarterback... big arm and little mobility. Frazier is more of the modern/scrambler type quarterback...good legs and decent arm. From what I have seen and heard, I think Moseley has the edge on passing power and distance. He also has been a starting quarterback before and has a better grasp on reading defenses. If Loeffler is looking for a vertical passing game, I believe Clint is the best option. If Loeffler wants to run the read option frequently or if pass protection is poor, Frazier will DEFINATELY win the starting spot. I just think we are going to have a much stronger passing attack this year. Our biggest impact players are in our beastly receiving corps and Lutz. We have some talented running backs, but they are young. I know Loeffler wants to stick with a run first approach, but I think we will be more of a passing team than we have in the past few years because of all of the talent and experience in receiving positions. From a passing standpoint, Frazier has more potential. He has a stronger arm than an average athletic qb and he is more polished at this point than moseley was. However, I feel that Clint is more developed at this point, especially from a qb intelligence level. BTW, I want to make this clear. I am not trying to follow racial stereotypes, nor do I think they are particularly accurate. (I actually study discrimination in personell selection...) I am just going off of what I saw last year.

Look guys, I don't KNOW that Moseley will start. I just think you guys are really overlooking him and selling him way short. He is better than people think.  The problems he had last year were due to players around him and lack of pass protection.

Heck, I will admit that Frazier is the more naturally talented. He will be a great quarterback one day if he continues to improve at the rate that he has.  I will even admit that he may very well be the starter. I just wish you guys would realize that Frazier starting is far from SURE thing at this poing...if that makes sense. He still has a long way to go to be a perfect quarterback.

I know that this was a bit wordy, but I think a few people have been confused by my previous comments and I wanted to clear up the misconceptions.

War Eagle

The thing about it is you can't possibly know who has more qb intelligence.  You can't even logically say Moseley reads defense better because he threw a pick 6 in almost every game he played. You say you aren't stereotyping racially but you are definitely stereotyping athletic qbs . You even said in your quote that kf has a stronger arm than an average athletic qb...where did u come up with athletic qb have weak arms? Also how did you come up with Moseley has the strongest arm?  Sorry but just because kf runs faster doesn't automatically mean that Moseley is the better passer.

You are right though they will battle it out and the starting position will be earned. But the only thing Moseley has an advantage of that we definitely know is experience.  And since its a new offense they started even because contrary to what some say kf getting out there running in the games helped. Also isn't kf a honor role student and had like a 4.0 or something like that?  I'm sure he's just as intelligent as any qb in the sec. This is real life football not NCAA or Madden and just because a guy is  athletic doesn't mean he will have low accuracy or low awareness. So if kf wins it, it won't be because we're running alot of option or because the o line isn't that good it may very well be  he is the best passer. Same goes for Moseley. 

And  let cm have some accountability as well it's not fair to him or the rest of the team to say his problems were because of pass protection and players around him. And as far as your o line picks it seems that Robinson is the most sure thing besides  dismukes. Given slade experience at tackle it seems like westerman, Mack, and sullen would battle for guard spots. I think westermanwins though

Look...I've listened to you a lot now and I love CM as much as anyone could but I am going to correct you on one thing you are SO far off base on and that's the arm strength thing you keep bringing up.

It's exactly opposite of what you keep asserting. Trust me.

In all seriousness I feel we will be in good hands at QB next year. I still feel KF potentially gives us the best option, but if CM is named the starter it will be because he earned it over Kiehl.

That's a HUGE "if."

1. QB- Frazier vs Moseley (My prediction: Moseley by a hair). Ultimately, I think it depends on what Loeffler thinks we need at quarterback. Which skill set at qb fits our impact players best?

2. Slot Receiver- Bray vs Reed (My prediction: Reed, but both will play significantly)

3. Oline in general- In my opinion, westerman, dismukes, and sullen are going to play somewhere. The question is where will they play and who takes the other two spots between mack, robinson, and slade. (My predictions are either: Robinson, Sullen, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade (this gives us the benefit of two talented redshirt freshmen starting)OR Sullen, Mack, Dismukes, Westerman, Slade(this gives us the benefit of having two less experienced guys, mack and westerman, anchored by 3 returning starters which may help them develop better)).

4. Defensive tackle- We have several guys here that are on virtually an equal level. (No predition. It could be any two of them.)

5. Cornerback- Bell, if he is healthy, will obviously be one. Who will take the other spot? Whitehead vs Davis vs mincy (Predition: Davis... I would have said Whitehead, but CVG said something about him playing in the slot and playing some safety.)

Honorable mention. Back up tight end spot. With Loeffler's pro leaning multiple system, we will probably see more two tight end sets. Fulse vs Uzomah vs hutcherson vs parks (Prediction: Fulse).

With regards to Frost, I think he will be playing behind (and sharing time with) Bates. He has a slightly similar build. He is a smaller linebacker. I think they will try to train him for the weak side lb position so that he can replace Bates next year.

I also think that Benton will secure his spot this year. A few days ago, there was an interview with Blake where he said D-lo's biggest problems were staying healthy and getting open. He followed up that comment by saying that this system has made it easier for him (and all of the receivers) to get open. I think that Coates will play behind Blake.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one will know who is correct until the coaches put out an official depth chart, but one thing I'll have to disagree on is the "which QB has a better skill set" comment. I've noticed that you have said similar things on other post and I'm just wondering what you mean by that. From everything I've heard/read from players, coaches and team reporters KF seems to have everything but size advantage over CM. I know it's difficult to state why one would think one player would start over another without downgrading a member of the team, but I'm genuinely curious as to what you're basing your point from. I hope it's not the stereotypical Black QB is more of an athlete and less of a passer, because I firmly believe that is not the case with KF.

hh

Moseley is more of a traditional type quarterback... big arm and little mobility. Frazier is more of the modern/scrambler type quarterback...good legs and decent arm. From what I have seen and heard, I think Moseley has the edge on passing power and distance. He also has been a starting quarterback before and has a better grasp on reading defenses. If Loeffler is looking for a vertical passing game, I believe Clint is the best option. If Loeffler wants to run the read option frequently or if pass protection is poor, Frazier will DEFINATELY win the starting spot. I just think we are going to have a much stronger passing attack this year. Our biggest impact players are in our beastly receiving corps and Lutz. We have some talented running backs, but they are young. I know Loeffler wants to stick with a run first approach, but I think we will be more of a passing team than we have in the past few years because of all of the talent and experience in receiving positions. From a passing standpoint, Frazier has more potential. He has a stronger arm than an average athletic qb and he is more polished at this point than moseley was. However, I feel that Clint is more developed at this point, especially from a qb intelligence level. BTW, I want to make this clear. I am not trying to follow racial stereotypes, nor do I think they are particularly accurate. (I actually study discrimination in personell selection...) I am just going off of what I saw last year.

Look guys, I don't KNOW that Moseley will start. I just think you guys are really overlooking him and selling him way short. He is better than people think.  The problems he had last year were due to players around him and lack of pass protection.

Heck, I will admit that Frazier is the more naturally talented. He will be a great quarterback one day if he continues to improve at the rate that he has.  I will even admit that he may very well be the starter. I just wish you guys would realize that Frazier starting is far from SURE thing at this poing...if that makes sense. He still has a long way to go to be a perfect quarterback.

I know that this was a bit wordy, but I think a few people have been confused by my previous comments and I wanted to clear up the misconceptions.

War Eagle

The thing about it is you can't possibly know who has more qb intelligence.  You can't even logically say Moseley reads defense better because he threw a pick 6 in almost every game he played. You say you aren't stereotyping racially but you are definitely stereotyping athletic qbs . You even said in your quote that kf has a stronger arm than an average athletic qb...where did u come up with athletic qb have weak arms? Also how did you come up with Moseley has the strongest arm?  Sorry but just because kf runs faster doesn't automatically mean that Moseley is the better passer.

^^^This( and the few posts before it). Friction, you say you definitely aren't stereotyping but that's EXACTLY what you're doing. Saying that because Kiehl runs better, Clint must throw better is just misinformed. Also, much of the "experience " CM has is fumbling around in the backfield and throwing pick 6's.I realize he was up against some tough teams, but thats not really the type of experience that you want to draw from. And you can't say he has more experience running the offense because, at this point, Kiehl has more experience running Lefty's offense.

Please watch some of the videos coming out of practice. They all show Kiehl as having the stronger arm, MUCH better footwork, and better overall mechanics. I'd love to know what your connection to Clint is, Friction.

I am just going off of what I saw last year.

The majority that I talk to that base their thoughts on what they "saw last year" doesn't even believe that CM looks the role of a starting BCS Divison-1 qb, and I'm sorry, but I agree. I love CM and I appreciate his dedication and fight, but I'm just calling 'em how I see 'em. Just because one might lack talent of the teammate he's competing for a job against doesn't make him any less of an Auburn man and any less appreciated. AU fans love and appreciate CM. He'll be a dependable backup for us. The "quarterback battle" is anything but. KF in a landslide. Seems that everyone can see it, but you.

I remember having these same type of debates the first couple of Cam's spring practices when he was competing and I had people on the scout board convinced that Neil Caudle was going to be the starter. #smh

Heck, I will admit that Frazier is the more naturally talented. He will be a great quarterback one day if he continues to improve at the rate that he has.  I will even admit that he may very well be the starter. I just wish you guys would realize that Frazier starting is far from a SURE thing at this poing...if that makes sense. He still has a long way to go to be a perfect quarterback.

War Eagle

I respectively disagree with your assessment, just because one can is labeled an "athletic" qb does not mean he can't throw. All in all I think Frazier earns the starting job. War Eagle.

The majority that I talk to that base their thoughts on what they "saw last year" doesn't even believe that CM looks the role of a starting BCS Divison-1 qb, and I'm sorry, but I agree. I love CM and I appreciate his dedication and fight, but I'm just calling 'em how I see 'em. Just because one might lack talent of the teammate he's competing with doesn't make him any less of an Auburn man. CM will be dependable backup for us. The "quarterback battle" is anything but. KF in a landslide. Seems that everyone can see it, but you.

Well said.

The majority that I talk to that base their thoughts on what they "saw last year" doesn't even believe that CM looks the role of a starting BCS Divison-1 qb, and I'm sorry, but I agree. I love CM and I appreciate his dedication and fight, but I'm just calling 'em how I see 'em. Just because one might lack talent of the teammate he's competing with doesn't make him any less of an Auburn man. CM will be dependable backup for us. The "quarterback battle" is anything but. KF in a landslide. Seems that everyone can see it, but you.

Well said.

Agree.

How I see it:

This is Frazier's first spring practice.  I'll say it again- this is Frazier's first spring practice.  Frazier was not SEC ready last season.  That is not a knock on Frazier as you cannot make that transition without a lot of work, ie a spring practice or at the least, being handed the starting job when you walk on campus.  The facts that Auburn went hard for Wilson (the NC State qb transfer that ended up at Wisconsin) and we played Frazier in spots as a true freshman who had not went through spring practice was an indication that we were not where we would have liked to be with qbs.

Right now we have 3 scholarship qbs on the team and one scheduled to show up by this fall.  We have a new offensive coordinator implementing a new offense.  Of the ones on the team, one is a highly regarded freshman that reportedly needs work to polish off his game.  Another is a sore armed rising redshirt junior that became the starter at mid season last year and struggled behind an inexperience offensive line against some of the best defenses in the country.  And then there is Frazier, a much herald, rising sophmore going through his first spring practice with all that talent he has.  You have to more than like Frazier's chances... it is his job to lose.

Well lost in some of the strange statements about one KF, this one about the other KF baffles me.

How in the world are a true freshman who came in at over 6'2 and 215 lbs and a junior (recruited to play safety) who measures in at 5'11 (generous) and 200 lbs built similarly??? Thats 3 inches and as an 18 year old kid (believe he had a late b day) he already outweighs him by 10 lbs without a full year of yoxercise...

And furthermore, our SLB is 5'11 220. But you are saying that 6'2 215 is too small there????

Color me confused.

You have to more than like Frazier's chances... it is his job to lose.

Don't tell friction that.

Well lost in some of the strange statements about one KF, this one about the other KF baffles me.

How in the world are a true freshman who came in at over 6'2 and 215 lbs and a junior (recruited to play safety) who measures in at 5'11 (generous) and 200 lbs built similarly??? Thats 3 inches and as an 18 year old kid (believe he had a late b day) he already outweighs him by 10 lbs without a full year of yoxercise...

And furthermore, our SLB is 5'11 220. But you are saying that 6'2 215 is too small there????

Color me confused.

Bates is 5'11, 200lbs. while Frost is 6'3 215-220 and will continue to add weight. Kris will start game 1. As a matter of fact, he and Bates play opposite outside linebacker positions and will both start. I obviously overlooked this comment from friction amid the CM hung the moon stuff. It's worth mentioning, while I realize Evans isn't available, Kris has been lining up as the start at one of the OLB positions since day one of spring.

I think the one position that will continue to be a contest throughout the next fews years, is going to be the Running Back position. All of the talent in our RB core will see playing time, but who will be the named starter is going to be a constant battle.

That being said, great problem for a team to have. All of our RBs are incredibly talented. Kind of like the Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, and Brandon Jacobs repeat problem we will see unfold.

When it comes to the QB race, from the practice video wathced, I believe that it is KF's position to lose.  However, I hope CM digs down and continues to compete.  Not only will it make him better, God forbid KF get hurt, CM would be able to step up and fill in. 

I do look forward to watching this team bust some heads this fall.  :wedance::party:

Sammie Coates is also part of that competition at Boundary Receiver, I do believe. I think he'll be starting there by midseason.

I think he could be a special player at receiver. Big time numbers await if he keeps it up.

Alright guys, let's leave Friction alone.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and he certainly has the right to be wrong.   :P

"Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

:)

Just wanted to chime in on the QB race. I also believe that Frazier wins the job based on what we have seen from practices so far.

But I really don't see why it is so far fetched to think that Mosely will be the starter? I'm basing my opinion of Frazier starting on probably about five minutes of watching QB drills. And probably another five minutes of player interviews. And really the only player interview that makes me think Frazier will start is Mosely's and thats just the body language he has going on. If I was basing me decision on what I saw last year then I would say Mosely hands down. People forget that Frazier didn't throw ONE good pass all year and played in every game. Now I hope that was because the coaches didn't give him the right opportunities but I really have no idea. So I agree Frazier will probably win the job but I really don't think saying Mosely will win is talking crazy or anything...

Archived