Biggest difference from 2012 defense compared...

TigerWar

to the previous few years is this --

This is a quote from Dee Ford and it's quite telling.

Ford has been impressed with his new defensive coordinator. “He’s a beast, man,” Ford said. “I love him. I’m not going to say I’m scared of him, but he has created a respect, which is needed as a defensive coordinator.”

I don't know if Roof had that same aura about him where just his presence demanded respect.

Agree with both of y'all. After reading that comment and some leading up to the bowl game it really did seem like the players didn't have a ton of respect for Roof. That's not to say they didn't like him, they just didn't have much respect for him. I always felt that I played harder for coaches I respected more and was maybe a little "intimidated " of.

One thing about our players is that they are professional and won't badmouth any previous staff. I ran into Chris Davis at Wal-Mart last night (he's in my veg production class along with Eric Mack and Jonathan Rose), and he had nothing but good things to say about BVG. When asked how he compared to Roof he wouldn't badmouth Roof in any way but you could tell he thought much higher of BVG. I think this is a good quality to see in our players. Patrick Lymon, a walk-on RB, also was talking about how detail oriented CSL is. Basically they would be robotic in their movements... In a good way.

WDE!

Well, to be honest, that's the way they should be...not just because it's classy, but because it's correct. Roof is not a bad coach by any means, he just wasn't right for this job. And either way, Van Gorder is an upgrade.

Auburn's defense will be at least twice as good as last year. Mark it down!

If AU's D could have just gotten a stop on third down 15% more often last year, the total D numbers would have been much, much, better.

That is where i want to see the most improvement this year.

to the past two years is that the coaches have MUCH more talent to work with. 

I mean, how can a BCS championship team have only one starter drafted and none from last year's team?    Of all the seniors who passed through AU on the defensive side of the ball in the past three years, what is it...maybe three of them on NFL squads somewhere? 

VG will get the credit for the improvements but mostly he will be playing Roof's recruits.....whereas Roof was mostly playing Tub's recruits and / or inexperienced freshmen.    IMO, not fair to either Roof or VG to compare the results from year to year.

That said, I'm glad to see the players buying into VG's plan for the defense and with all the young talent on hand, the team should be much more of a defensive power in the SEC.  VG will get the credit but IMO it's not nearly that simple. 

:we:

Re: Biggest difference from 2012 defense compared...

about 13 games to none...however one's undefeated

to the past two years is that the coaches have MUCH more talent to work with. 

I mean, how can a BCS championship team have only one starter drafted and none from last year's team?    Of all the seniors who passed through AU on the defensive side of the ball in the past three years, what is it...maybe three of them on NFL squads somewhere?  

VG will get the credit for the improvements but mostly he will be playing Roof's recruits.....whereas Roof was mostly playing Tub's recruits and / or inexperienced freshmen.    IMO, not fair to either Roof or VG to compare the results from year to year.

That said, I'm glad to see the players buying into VG's plan for the defense and with all the young talent on hand, the team should be much more of a defensive power in the SEC.   VG will get the credit but IMO it's not nearly that simple. 

:we:

Once the recruiting is done, its then all about coaching the talent. My opinion is that with the same players the last 3 years, AU would have had a better defense had BVG been the DC.

I always love a guy that doesn't take any BS from his players - sounds like BVG is that man.

I am going to change your moniker, if you do not desist from posting these compelling pics of female enticement.

No longer shall you be referred to as AURules, but from now on you shall be known as AUMakesUsDrool! :)

:wareagle:

I always love a guy that doesn't take any BS from his players - sounds like BVG is that man.

I am going to change your moniker, if you do not desist from posting these compelling pics of female enticement.

No longer shall you be referred to as AURules, but from now on you shall be known as AUMakesUsDrool! :)

:wareagle:

Now I know why this message board locks up sometimes....it's because Ross's sig gif vid puts everybody in a trance when they see it and nobody can stop watching it!  ;D

Archived