Under Armour equipment

chimesAU

In HS our team was fitted out with under armour everything from cleats to jerseys but some guys still prefered Nike cleats. I found I preferred UA Cleats a hell of alot more over any nike because UA gave me personally, better support. Its about personal preference and how one's foot is shaped, also wearing the right cleat helps alot. I found that their "Land Shark" (think thats the name) Cleats were horrible for playing LB but I loved them playing TE and there was anouther pair that were the opposite, My junior year I finally found a pair that was right in the middle.

Also you have to look at the other percent of players who have no trouble at all. Also take into account that some injuries cant be avoided no matter what shoe you have on because of pile ups and just bad foot placement on cuts.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we went to under armour in our youth league last year, and we used nike the previous 2 years prior to that. Needless to say due to customer service we are going back to nike this year. Under armour has more of a selection when it came to football jerseys esp. On the "stock" level. We also found out that under armour does not make majority of their stuff. Like the football jerseys are made by a company named allison. They just put the under armour logo on them. We was very happy with the way the jerseys looked but we had major issues getting the jerseys shipped in time. Now with nike we can order and have the jerseys in hand in less than a week. Now with cleats i strongly recomend nike if you are looking at the cheaper models. Like the molded rubber cleats used in youth football. Now as far as the screw in types used in school ball i would say its a toss up between nike and under armour.

converse, baby!!!

(btw - ya'll sound like a bunch of girls talking about shoes and clothes)

I actually cut the grass in Converse. I bought them because I used to wear them as a kid and thought they'd be cool and nostalgic. Turns out they're horribly uncomfortable,heavy and just all around poor shoes. Didn't want the $40 I spent on them to be wasted though, so now they're yard work shoes.

best dang yard work you ever did!!!!!!  back when bad shoes made you a man!

vvvvvv - old school, baby! - vvvvvv

converse, baby!!!

I actually cut the grass in Converse. I bought them because I used to wear them as a kid and thought they'd be cool and nostalgic. Turns out they're horribly uncomfortable,heavy and just all around poor shoes. Didn't want the $40 I spent on them to be wasted though, so now they're yard work shoes.

Haha I just laughed so hard my dog left the room.

Thanks Foley for the insight on UA cleats.

That's interesting that UA doesn't actually make the youth jerseys, aubfan. I'm familiar with the Allison brand but it's strange that UA would just slap their logo on another company's product. I wonder if they do the same with any of our team's equipment?

converse, baby!!!

Haha I just laughed so hard my dog left the room.

Thanks Foley for the insight on UA cleats.

That's interesting that UA doesn't actually make the youth jerseys, aubfan. I'm familiar with the Allison brand but it's strange that UA would just slap their logo on another company's product. I wonder if they do the same with any of our team's equipment?

Extremely doubtful that Auburn receives anything but the highest of quality equipment. If Under Armour contracts out certain portions of its garment production, I am not surprised. Nike has had half a decade to produce facilities to support their product. UA is a very young company.

I had the privilege to meet a former AU football player at a youth basketball tournament 2 weekend ago and he call UA shoes "garbage".  I personally love the gear, but don't own a pair of their shoes.

I like UA shirts and shorts but when it comes to footwear it's not even close, I'm buying Nike. Why do you think when AU has pro day, virtually all the former players elect not to use the UA cleats anymore?? I'm not saying the cleats put us at a competitive disadvantage or anything, but most of the players I've talked to aren't big fans of the UA cleats.

according to our supplier all of their jerseys are made by allison not just youth. Not sure who makes under armour footwear. We used the under armour "battle" jersey last year , but will use the nike "crack back" this season.   

I like UA shirts and shorts but when it comes to footwear it's not even close, I'm buying Nike. Why do you think when AU has pro day, virtually all the former players elect not to use the UA cleats anymore?? I'm not saying the cleats put us at a competitive disadvantage or anything, but most of the players I've talked to aren't big fans of the UA cleats.

I've noticed the same thing. I remember some of our guys wearing those neon yellow Nikes during our 2010 pro day.

j34mac34, how long ago did this guy play for AU? Just hoping maybe our guys have better shoes now.

Who cares if they are any good or not. Auburn wears it, Cam sells it, enough said...I will be first in line to get my son, 11,  a pair of the Highlights when they come out in a few weeks....$130...

As far as cleats go, UA is still not on the same level as Nike.

Kiehl loves all of the UA gear except for the cleats.

He told me that he much prefers Nike cleats.

He asked Dana last year if he would get him some Nike cleats and then just spat them to cover everything up. He told him no.

He asked Dana last year if he would get him some Nike cleats and then just spat them to cover everything up. He told him no.

Man I hate that. Kind of had a feeling that might be the case but was hoping I was wrong.  Competing on the extremely high level they are, you don't want anything holding you back or putting you at a disadvantage. Hopefully Under Armour can continue to evolve and develop better footwear for our athletes.

I hate to tell you guys and gals this but Under Armour pretty much just slaps their logo on bought shirts and marks up the price. In all fairness, Nike, Champion, and other companies do as well. Your really only buying the name brand.

They contract the companies to make their shirts with a slightly differing poly/cotton blend without markings. I think the UA shirts are 95% poly 5% cotton and the Dri-Fit are 97%poly 3% cotton(give or take a few percentage points). If you can tell the difference then your better than me.

As for the cleats: Seeing as how Nike is a shoe company branched out into clothing and UA is a clothing company branched out into shoes then it only make sense that Nike would be better at shoes.

As for the cleats: Seeing as how Nike is a shoe company branched out into clothing and UA is a clothing company branched out into shoes then it only make sense that Nike would be better at shoes.

That makes too much sense.

Who cares if they are any good or not. Auburn wears it, Cam sells it, enough said...I will be first in line to get my son, 11,  a pair of the Highlights when they come out in a few weeks....$130...

I'd say a lot of people care if they are "any good or not".

And good for your son. Hope he doesn't grow out of them in 2 months.

yep, been that way for a while.  UA is definitely making improvements on their cleats, but they still just don't compare.  I really wish they would allow us to wear other cleats.  I love the rest of their gear, but the cleats really are just sub par.  I hope we don't renew our contract with them, but we probably will.

yep, been that way for a while.  UA is definitely making improvements on their cleats, but they still just don't compare.  I really wish they would allow us to wear other cleats.  I love the rest of their gear, but the cleats really are just sub par.  I hope we don't renew our contract with them, but we probably will.

We just renewed a year or so ago. And when it's time to renew our current contract I hope we do. Under Armour will eventually catch up in the cleat department. If we don't renew I hope we sign with anything but nike. At least with Under Armour we are the flagship school.

I may have a bit of a problem when it comes to wanting to try out every new pair of soccer or running shoes that graces the market. From my experience the Nike shoes are much more comfortable than the Under Armor. It may be different for the football cleats but I found that UA's soccer cleats were very stiff and did not move well with your foot, whereas Nike always seems to do a good job of making their cleats bend in the right spots to give you the ability to plant and cut the way you would if you were barefooting it. I only have one player on the high school team I coach that wears the UA cleats and he's not a big fan either. He would steal my spare pair of Nike's if they weren't a half size too small I think.

We just renewed a year or so ago. And when it's time to renew our current contract I hope we do. Under Armour will eventually catch up in the cleat department. If we don't renew I hope we sign with anything but nike. At least with Under Armour we are the flagship school.

Would you feel this way even if it put our athletes at a competitive disadvantage? Kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Would you feel this way even if it put our athletes at a competitive disadvantage? Kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face...

My computer decided to crash on me, otherwise I would post some links to explain why. Let's just say the same reason some folks would rather shop at Kroger rather than WalMart.

My computer decided to crash on me, otherwise I would post some links to explain why. Let's just say the same reason some folks would rather shop at Kroger rather than WalMart.

And I really do understand that because I'm one of those people who shops at Kroger and occasionally Publix( when I'm feeling fancy). I just want the best for our athletes and don't want them to be at any kind of disadvantage to the turds across the state or really any team they play. I also wouldn't want it to be used against us in recruiting, if recruits really do prefer one brand over another( which sounds like it could be the case).

Auburn & UA beat Oregon & Nike a couple years ago...do you really think we're at a competitive disadvantage?

And I really do understand that because I'm one of those people who shops at Kroger and occasionally Publix( when I'm feeling fancy). I just want the best for our athletes and don't want them to be at any kind of disadvantage to the turds across the state or really any team they play. I also wouldn't want it to be used against us in recruiting, if recruits really do prefer one brand over another( which sounds like it could be the case).

I am shocked that Auburn or any school would let themselves be locked in to one brand of shoe!  

I'm an old guy but in my time I have done lots of running and long distance backpacking (as well as play a variety of sports when I was in my younger years).  Feet come in all different lengths, widths, volume, curvature, etc and not necessarily in a way that they are proportional by length.  Footwear take some expertise in getting the best fit and for the most part that expertise needs to come from the wearer.  Manufacturer's shoes are not all made the same in a lot of ways and some of these ways are such that the shoe what works great for me may cripple you if you wear them too long and the shoe that works great for you may cripple me.  

Basically shoes are made from a model of some particular person's feet and they scale the different sizes from that.  You need to find one that is closest to the shape of your feet.  It is inconceivable to me that one brand would provide the best fit, or even a comfortable fit, for a group of a hundred or so football players.  

Archived