Prosch hasn't been cleared after all...

TigerWar

This past week there was a free article on rivals that featured the runningbacks and had several quotes from Curtis Luper basically saying that Jay Prosch was going to be a huge focus of our new o and speaking as if he had already gotten the waiver from the NCAA, but Chizik was asked yesterday about it and apparently Auburn has not received the waiver yet. I guess Luper is pretty confident that he'll in fact be cleared, but I kind of wish he would've been more reserved about it until we have actually received confirmation. Just don't wanna jinx it.  ;)

Remember, this is AU and the NCAA. Not exactly a love affair. That being said, the NCAA was fair to us and Cam, stating that they were not going to punish a player on innuendo alone.

There truly is no reason he should not be cleared. This was a medical emergency with a close family member. He should be cleared and if he is not, I would definitely look for an appeal.

I agree, coaches should be guarded in their statements. However, all of the staff, compliance officers, etc at AU, must feel pretty good about it.

If I remember correctly his Mother had her surgery last spring or early summer. If there has not been any other sign of the cancer then the NCAA might not consider his case the same as they would have this time last year. And it is common knowledge that the changes in coaches and type of offense eliminated the fullback position where he was and that Auburn was in need of a good fulback. All of the above "could" affect the ncaa decision on the waiver.

I really hope he gets the waiver because a really good fullback will make a big difference in our offense this season 

How long does it normally take for a waiver of this type?

IMO there is no reason for the NCAA to take this long on decisions of this nature. It was the same thing with the Armstead case. Did we ever hear about the results on that waiver ?

If I remember correctly his Mother had her surgery last spring or early summer. If there has not been any other sign of the cancer then the NCAA might not consider his case the same as they would have this time last year. And it is common knowledge that the changes in coaches and type of offense eliminated the fullback position where he was and that Auburn was in need of a good fulback. All of the above "could" affect the ncaa decision on the waiver.

I really hope he gets the waiver because a really good fullback will make a big difference in our offense this season 

How long does it normally take for a waiver of this type?

I was under the impression that his mother still has not defeated the cancer and as such doesn't know how long she has to live, thus the reason for his transfer in the first place. As for the fullback part, we do actually have one: Ladarius Phillips got some playing time last year and looked pretty good at times. So it's not like we are desperate for a fullback. Is Prosche an upgrade? Yeah, probably so...but let's not forget that "Big Sexy" is pretty athletic (remember the standing back flip?), and with his size, he does have the ability to be a force blocking if he can develop a little more of a mean streak.

That certainly doesn't assure us that the NCAA will grant the waiver, but the coaches certainly seem to feel exceedingly confident about it.

The application for the waiver was just submitted.  There really was no hurry.  It does not affect anything until the fall.  He will be cleared to play before then.  As for Phillips, he has not been practicing for undisclosed reasons.

Archived