Cooper Bateman 2013 QB

SuperNova

Now that Cooper is headed elsewhere, maybe Hayden will give his AU commitment now instead of waiting around.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see how any top QB would even consider playing in a saban offense. You could just look at the QBs that saban produced if any of them actually played anywhere.

I don't see how any top QB would even consider playing in a saban offense. You could just look at the QBs that saban produced if any of them actually played anywhere.

Same can be said for us... we've been in the bottom of the SEC in passing for the last few years and I would say we didn't "Develop" Cam as much as he was a freak of nature.  Having said that, the only team in the SEC that I feel is a real "QB" type of offense is Arkansas. 

Also, let's look at the NFL... it's not like may QB's make it from any team.  I always felt like most of the best QB's came from unknown schools in college.... I think that possition in the pro's has to be one of the hardest to learn from College, no matter how good you are...

The Bamaham News is all over Bateman's commitment to that other team. It's like how $aban landed the best QB in 2013.

Same can be said for us... we've been in the bottom of the SEC in passing for the last few years and I would say we didn't "Develop" Cam as much as he was a freak of nature.  Having said that, the only team in the SEC that I feel is a real "QB" type of offense is Arkansas. 

Also, let's look at the NFL... it's not like may QB's make it from any team.  I always felt like most of the best QB's came from unknown schools in college.... I think that possition in the pro's has to be one of the hardest to learn from College, no matter how good you are...

Jason Campbell is still in the NFL and was starting before getting hurt. Bama only has GM and he will only be there until the Jets need a roster spot. Saban's big quailty right now is that he puts players in the NFL but out of all the success he has had at uat and LSU, he has not produced any NFL quality QBs.

I don't know what yall are talking about.  His last two QBs, JP Wilson and Greg McElroy are both in the NFL.  McCarron will also get drafted. 

Jason Campbell is still in the NFL and was starting before getting hurt.

2004 was a long time ago... just saying...

BTW, not saying QB's should/would be looking at uat to play either... the only SEC team that I would say is set top showcase a top QB is Arkansas.  If you look at us over the last two years we've passed the ball last or next to last in the SEC... and yes, that was with Cam too... we only threw the ball 31% of the time with him.  I think more so because he was just too damn good running the ball to even worry about throwing it...  

I hope with our new OC, this trend will change and we will see a lot more passing in the future.... maybe not 50/50, but I'd love to be up in the mid 40's for the passing percent.

BTW, not saying QB's should/would be looking at uat to play either... the only SEC team that I would say is set top showcase a top QB is Arkansas.  If you look at us over the last two years we've passed the ball last or next to last in the SEC... and yes, that was with Cam too... we only threw the ball 31% of the time with him.  I think more so because he was just too damn good running the ball to even worry about throwing it...  

I hope with our new OC, this trend will change and we will see a lot more passing in the future.... maybe not 50/50, but I'd love to be up in the mid 40's for the passing percent.

Agreed, would love to see AU become more of a top QB school. I am confident that CSL will get us there starting this season.

Agreed, would love to see AU become more of a top QB school. I am confident that CSL will get us there starting this season.

I don't really care if we become a QB school or not.  To be honest, I'd much rather see us a RB school.... but maybe I'm just partial to days of AU past...

Besides Mallet in NE ..who else does Arky have in the league..? Auburn gave Cam a place to showcase his talent, mature and develop as a leader.. So yes AU and the staff played a vital role in the type of QB he is today with the Panthers, and I am sure Cam may agree. No way he wins a heisman, or is #1 pick from Blinn or Miss St....Cam owes just as much to Auburn as Auburn owes him.

Besides Mallet in NE ..who else does Arky have in the league..? Auburn gave Cam a place to showcase his talent, mature and develop as a leader.. So yes AU and the staff played a vital role in the type of QB he is today with the Panthers, and I am sure Cam may agree. No way he wins a heisman, or is #1 pick from Blinn or Miss St....Cam owes just as much to Auburn as Auburn owes him.

The point I was making wasn't who is in the NFL, but rather who at this moment is set to showcase a QB in the SEC and the only team I would say is there would be Arkansas.... weather or not they can actually do that is debatable...  I guess you might add UGA to the list, but I really just hate them too much to give them any credit for anything.... 

As for Cam, he threw the ball 31% of the time... If you're a Pro Style QB, I don't think you're looking for a team that throws the ball the least amount of times in the SEC... or that wants you torun the ball yourself... just saying.... 

Now, if your saying Auburn is a good school to showcase a Dual Threat QB, you maybe have some amo using Cam... but I hope that is not the way we are going with our new OC...

I was just saying that the QBs that are serious about making it in the NFL should be able to see that saban doesn't produce big time QBs. Big QBs usually want to go where they can make big plays and it is hard to do in his offense. There are lots of schools and coaches that don't produce any good QBs but in this case CB picked uat.

I was just saying that the QBs that are serious about making it in the NFL should be able to see that saban doesn't produce big time QBs. Big QBs usually want to go where they can make big plays and it is hard to do in his offense. There are lots of schools and coaches that don't produce any good QBs but in this case CB picked uat.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we're going to see Bama open up their offense this year and throw more than ever.  After McCarron took apart LSU in the MNC, and with a new Offensice coordinator who likes to throw it around more, we're going to see them with a different style offense that will produce more points than ever.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid we're going to see Bama open up their offense this year and throw more than ever.  After McCarron took apart LSU in the MNC, and with a new Offensice coordinator who likes to throw it around more, we're going to see them with a different style offense that will produce more points than ever.

I'm not sure lil nicki will let them throw any more than previously.  His defense must have time to rest.  He wil never have a wide open offense, at least not more than 40% pass. 

Gotta face it....a school can't be a QB school and a running back school.  For as long as I can recall, Auburn has taken pride in being Running Back U and who can fault a top rated drop-back passing QBs from looking elsewhere.    Schools make a commitment to a certain type offense and recruit accordingly....and of course the kids look at what type offense various schools run and then go where their future looks best.

We have four top class RBs and are targeting 250-300 yards per game on the ground....so how much passing yardage does that leave for a typical game?    I guess what I'm saying is that if we continue to push the RB U approach we will be much less likely to get a 4*+ pro-style QB.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4E-tnwj_3UcI3Tg7uZLAhUw6QvGdNPUxh73-y9MPj1vp-hR8cpA

The real question is why would a top QB NOT go to Alabama?  Top notch D top notch OL to protect you. Easy 4 years to the NFL to make bank.  We will get our QB (future we all ready have our present) that will be coached better and play better than Bateman will ever dream of playing

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4E-tnwj_3UcI3Tg7uZLAhUw6QvGdNPUxh73-y9MPj1vp-hR8cpA

The real question is why would a top QB NOT go to Alabama?  Top notch D top notch OL to protect you. Easy 4 years to the NFL to make bank.  We will get our QB (future we all ready have our present) that will be coached better and play better than Bateman will ever dream of playing

But at the same time that 4 easy years will end up costing you alot of money. There is a big difference in pay from the first round until the last round of the draft. Then if someone takes a chance on you because of what they think you can do, you still have to hope that you can learn all the techniques you didn't get taught and all the experience in different situations you missed in college before the NFL team gives up on you. All that while trying to show what you can do and having to do it against NFL level players. If you played where you can sling the ball around and make big plays in college then the NFL teams will give you alot more time before they give you the boot because they have seen what you could do given the time.

I'm not worried about our QB situation. It would be good if he came to Auburn but if he goes to uat then we will still be fine. I was only talking about QBs playing for saban. I would much rather be in our situation at QB than uat's.

I'm not sure lil nicki will let them throw any more than previously.  His defense must have time to rest.  He wil never have a wide open offense, at least not more than 40% pass. 

Not sure you have the right stats to make that statement...

uat passing stats:

2011 - 41% of snaps were a pass

2010 - 44% of snaps were a pass

2009 - 37% of snaps were a pass

2008 - 37% of snaps were a pass

2007 - 49% of snaps were a pass

2006 - 46% of snaps were a pass

2005 - 43% of snaps were a pass

2004 - 34% of snaps were a pass

I don't remember which year Saban came to uat, but of the last two yers he's been in the top half of the SEC in the pass, and that's with an outstanding running game....  I think last year would have been a higher % if they didn't have most games well in hand by the 4th quarter and just ran clock...

I think uat's and Saban view the pass more like a run play.  They don't go down field often and prefer to toss the ball out the the WR on a screen or flat pass... or the RB/TE on a short route.  Safe passes that garner 3 to 4 yards.  That's all they want to do.  Much like a run... stay ahead of the sticks and keep that running game in play for every down.  That puts a TON of pressure on the DB's to have to play up tight on the line and doesn't allow for them to crowd the box as much with the Safety play as most teams will keep them back in case a DB loses containment of the WR. 

It's never seems like they pass much, because it is very rarely down field... but they do pass a good bit in the scheme of the SEC game play and compared to us.... well, we pass it 32% of the time last year and 31% the year before.... so.....

I'm not saying that a top rated QB would want to play in this type of offense... I wouldn't... but I don't see much of a draw to our style of recent past for a Pro Style QB.  It is not what we ran.  I hope that our offensive scheme is changing and in the near future we will have more to offer a top rated Pro Style QB.

Not sure you have the right stats to make that statement...

uat passing stats:

2011 - 41% of snaps were a pass

2010 - 44% of snaps were a pass

2009 - 37% of snaps were a pass

2008 - 37% of snaps were a pass

2007 - 49% of snaps were a pass

2006 - 46% of snaps were a pass

2005 - 43% of snaps were a pass

2004 - 34% of snaps were a pass

I don't remember which year Saban came to uat, but of the last two yers he's been in the top half of the SEC in the pass, and that's with an outstanding running game....  I think last year would have been a higher % if they didn't have most games well in hand by the 4th quarter and just ran clock...

I think uat's and Saban view the pass more like a run play.  They don't go down field often and prefer to toss the ball out the the WR on a screen or flat pass... or the RB/TE on a short route.  Safe passes that garner 3 to 4 yards.  That's all they want to do.  Much like a run... stay ahead of the sticks and keep that running game in play for every down.  That puts a TON of pressure on the DB's to have to play up tight on the line and doesn't allow for them to crowd the box as much with the Safety play as most teams will keep them back in case a DB loses containment of the WR. 

It's never seems like they pass much, because it is very rarely down field... but they do pass a good bit in the scheme of the SEC game play and compared to us.... well, we pass it 32% of the time last year and 31% the year before.... so.....

I'm not saying that a top rated QB would want to play in this type of offense... I wouldn't... but I don't see much of a draw to our style of recent past for a Pro Style QB.  It is not what we ran.  I hope that our offensive scheme is changing and in the near future we will have more to offer a top rated Pro Style QB.

OK. I'll go 45%.  I don't see him going over 45% with the RB talent he has and will be recruiting. 

Some of this  :devil: butt kissing is nauseating. I am personally not the least bit concerned with our QB situation. I believe we are already set for a few years and will get two out of these three QB's this recruiting class: Rettig, Johnson, Buchanan. And I am not the pump sunshine 24/7 kind of fan either. I try to remain realistic with an optimistic lean. Keep in mind we are in the running for tons of top QB pro-style recruits all over the country and they haven't even seen our new offense in a game. It will only get better.

Sorry, it is not butt-kissing, it is truth. Like it or not, he is a good coach and recruiter.  So is Chizik.  I don't dislike Alabama fans, I dislike Auburn haters.  If you're more concerned with hating Alabama than loving Auburn, then you are not an Auburn man.  Not directing this at you, but this has bothered me for some time.

I just see it as another kid committed to losing to AU  :P

I just hope he is happy with his decision and that it is, in fact, his decision. There are alot of QB's to be recruited between now and when we will need another QB. Bateman has alot of eggs in his basket while AU has the hen house. Honestly, this thread should die. He isnt even the our best target. I understand Rettig had his injury but I would still love to land him!

That's what I was thinking too.........although I hope not!

Archived