Cooper Bateman 2013 QB

SuperNova

Sounded to me like Olsen is more likely, and to be honest I like him better than Bateman anyway. Bateman is probably the more physically gifted of the two, but I think Olsen is a much better QB, and I think his savvy as a signal caller will translate better to the college game. It's not that I would be disappointed with Bateman, it's just that, in my mind, if Rettig recovers, we take him, and if not then we take Olsen. To be completely honest, considering that attrition is looking to take its toll already, I'm guessing we are definitely going to get up to the 20-22 range for open schollys, and in that case we might well take two...which means maybe we take Rettig and Olsen.

It would make a certain sense. Olsen might well turn out to be the better of the two even if Rettig is healthy (though Rettig undeniably has superior arm strength), and it would give Loeffler two of his own recruits to work with behind Kiehl and Zeke.

But we shall see.

Not that I would be disappointed in getting Olsen or Rettig, but I really hope we get Bateman. All I have to look at is highlight tapes, but he just stands out more to me. I do agree in thinking we will end up signing 20-23, but if any of those 3 commit before the season starts I believe we are done. Last I hear Bateman was looking to commit early so we shall see soon enough.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounded to me like Olsen is more likely, and to be honest I like him better than Bateman anyway. Bateman is probably the more physically gifted of the two, but I think Olsen is a much better QB, and I think his savvy as a signal caller will translate better to the college game. It's not that I would be disappointed with Bateman, it's just that, in my mind, if Rettig recovers, we take him, and if not then we take Olsen. To be completely honest, considering that attrition is looking to take its toll already, I'm guessing we are definitely going to get up to the 20-22 range for open schollys, and in that case we might well take two...which means maybe we take Rettig and Olsen.

It would make a certain sense. Olsen might well turn out to be the better of the two even if Rettig is healthy (though Rettig undeniably has superior arm strength), and it would give Loeffler two of his own recruits to work with behind Kiehl and Zeke.

But we shall see.

Not that I would be disappointed in getting Olsen or Rettig, but I really hope we get Bateman. All I have to look at is highlight tapes, but he just stands out more to me. I do agree in thinking we will end up signing 20-23, but if any of those 3 commit before the season starts I believe we are done. Last I hear Bateman was looking to commit early so we shall see soon enough.

Well, I've been thinking for some time that if we signed two, the second would be Johnson, but Rettig might well be looked at in a similar light: Johnson is a project, Rettig is injured, so there is probably a fair amount of doubt about how well both will develop in college. If we sign 20 or more, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we get one of them and one of Olsen and Bateman.

But we shall see.

Well, I've been thinking for some time that if we signed two, the second would be Johnson, but Rettig might well be looked at in a similar light: Johnson is a project, Rettig is injured, so there is probably a fair amount of doubt about how well both will develop in college. If we sign 20 or more, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we get one of them and one of Olsen and Bateman.

I'd be fairly shocked to land 2 of Rettig, Bateman, and Olsen. The injury has hurt Rettig's current offer list (though I expect that to change), so in theory I could see him being part of a class with two blue chip QB recruits. But as for Bateman and Olsen, they have enough options that I'd be surprised if they went somewhere where they weren't guaranteed to be "the guy", at least in their respective class. Also, to be honest, I don't think we lead for either of them right now though we're definitely in the mix for both. I think uat has a slight lead for Bateman and Miami has a slight lead for Olsen. As for Johnson, he seems high enough on AU to sign here even if we signed Rettig, but even then I wouldn't be shocked to see him go LSU. They honestly seem to be higher on him at this point than we are.

I also think we'd be fine if we only signed Rettig, despite the injury concern. As I understand it, the coaching staff wants to sign a premier quarterback every year, so there's not as much pressure to hit a home run with every sign. I think we'd be content to sign the high upside guy (Rettig) and just hope that it works out, knowing that if it doesn't they'll be someone waiting right behind him ready to go.

But we shall see.

I'd be fairly shocked to land 2 of Rettig, Bateman, and Olsen. The injury has hurt Rettig's current offer list (though I expect that to change), so in theory I could see him being part of a class with two blue chip QB recruits. But as for Bateman and Olsen, they have enough options that I'd be surprised if they went somewhere where they weren't guaranteed to be "the guy", at least in their respective class. Also, to be honest, I don't think we lead for either of them right now though we're definitely in the mix for both. I think uat has a slight lead for Bateman and Miami has a slight lead for Olsen. As for Johnson, he seems high enough on AU to sign here even if we signed Rettig, but even then I wouldn't be shocked to see him go LSU. They honestly seem to be higher on him at this point than we are.

I also think we'd be fine if we only signed Rettig, despite the injury concern. As I understand it, the coaching staff wants to sign a premier quarterback every year, so there's not as much pressure to hit a home run with every sign. I think we'd be content to sign the high upside guy (Rettig) and just hope that it works out, knowing that if it doesn't they'll be someone waiting right behind him ready to go.

I think that's pretty spot on, except that when CSL picks his man and turns the heat up, we become the leader.  His rep as a QB guru is wide-spread and well known.  Also, and I hesitate saying this this early in the recruiting year, but Jeremy Johnson is an incredible athlete, and there could be other positions he could play for us other than QB.

But we shall see.

The injury is the only reason I think we would have any shot at signing both Rettig and Olsen. To be honest, and this is purely speculative, but I don't think we're going to go after Bateman as hard as the others. Quite frankly, I'm not entirely sure that the coaches wouldn't prefer Buchanan to Bateman.

And I'm with pops about Johnson. I think the most likely scenario is that we sign Rettig to go along with Johnson, and if JJ doesn't work out as well at QB then he moves to tight end or linebacker.

But again, that's all speculation.

I don't believe Loeffler has narrowed any list to a final four. He is still evaluating QBs in my opinion. It's not like Loeffler has been evaluating these QBs for years. He probably knows more about Olsen than any of them since he coached at Temple.

Wasn't Kohl Stewart and Cody Thomas high on our list? Where do they stand in the evaluation process? Will either visit Auburn any time soon? None of us knows and everything is speculative talk on a message board.

I do not believe Rettig or any other QB has a concrete committable offer at this time. Especially Rettig because he is a risk to sign pending how he returns from knee injury, and more importantly, how he plays in a game situation.

I do not believe Jeremy Johnson is a backup plan. I do not believe he would wait for that when he has good offers already on the table. If that was the case, why would Johnson be at A-Day or continue to make numerous trips to Auburn if he knew he's not wanted? All these theories about him in this thread makes absolutely no sense to me.

QB Connor Mitch is visiting on Sunday. That is another example of why Loeffler is nowhere near finished with his QB evaluations.

If Loeffler could tell us what QB or QBs he expects to sign, i don't believe he could give an honest answer. A lot can and will change between now and NSD.

A lot can and will change between now and NSD.

That's absolutely true. I'm just talking about the feeling I've been getting from everything that I've heard. I do agree that Loeffler is still in the evaluation period, but to be honest I think that is primarily because of Rettig's situation and the hesitancy to extend a committable offer. I don't think there is necessarily a "Top 4", but I also believe that if Johnson is the only QB we sign in this class, it will mean we have missed on a couple of others. It doesn't mean I don't think highly of him, because he might have the most upside of any QB in this class, it's just that I think we're more interested in a pure passer than a dual threat type.

Johnson is a pro-style QB similar to Jason Campbell. He is not much of  runner or he choose not to run very much.

The reports I've heard about him suggest he is a dual threat (perhaps in the style of JC, however, as I heard similar reports about Campbell's mobility out of high school) with a gunslinger mentality who has exceptional arm strength with questionable accuracy. He is certainly not a slouch, and by no means to I make him out to be a second class player, I'm just saying that I don't think his style fits as well with what Loeffler wants as it did with what Malzahn wanted.

I don't believe Loeffler has narrowed any list to a final four. He is still evaluating QBs in my opinion. It's not like Loeffler has been evaluating these QBs for years. He probably knows more about Olsen than any of them since he coached at Temple.

Wasn't Kohl Stewart and Cody Thomas high on our list? Where do they stand in the evaluation process? Will either visit Auburn any time soon? None of us knows and everything is speculative talk on a message board.

I do not believe Rettig or any other QB has a concrete committable offer at this time. Especially Rettig because he is a risk to sign pending how he returns from knee injury, and more importantly, how he plays in a game situation.

I do not believe Jeremy Johnson is a backup plan. I do not believe he would wait for that when he has good offers already on the table. If that was the case, why would Johnson be at A-Day or continue to make numerous trips to Auburn if he knew he's not wanted? All these theories about him in this thread makes absolutely no sense to me.

QB Connor Mitch is visiting on Sunday. That is another example of why Loeffler is nowhere near finished with his QB evaluations.

If Loeffler could tell us what QB or QBs he expects to sign, i don't believe he could give an honest answer. A lot can and will change between now and NSD.

I don't think Johnson is a "back-up plan" in the sense that our coaches would only want him if we missed on some other guys. I think that our couches want him. Period. With that said, I also think that the coaches would rather bring in one of the other three mentioned in addition to Johnson. And if that means that Johnson goes elsewhere, so be it.

And to be fair, all of this is prefaced by the fact that I by no means and insider and this opinion is as much an accumulation of general consensuses and gut-feeling as anything else. 

I don't think Johnson is a "back-up plan" in the sense that our coaches would only want him if we missed on some other guys. I think that our couches want him. Period. With that said, I also think that the coaches would rather bring in one of the other three mentioned in addition to Johnson. And if that means that Johnson goes elsewhere, so be it.

And to be fair, all of this is prefaced by the fact that I by no means and insider and this opinion is as much an accumulation of general consensuses and gut-feeling as anything else. 

As long as it's the couch in his own dorm. Boise State got probation for players sleeping on other player's couches.

Can anyone tell me the attraction an elite QB would have with bammer?  I realize we are known as Running Back U, but Auburn has produced several great QB's in the NFL, and the QB position has always played a vital role in our offense for as long as I can remember.

At bammer, they want a game manager.  Someone who will be content with handing the ball off 80% of the time, and staying out of the limelight that will be showered on their RB.  When I think of bammer QB's who made any difference in the NFL, I can only come up with Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler.  Am I missing any?  I don't follow the turds, so it's possible I left someone out, but nothing comes to mind. 

You have to think an elite QB would like to end up somewhere that will showcase his talents and further him on into the NFL.  You can argue that they want to win championships, and that satan has that going for him, but  I would counter that with "What is McElroy doing now?" or "How high a pick in the draft will McCarron be?". 

With CSL, I think we will become a hot destination for elite QB's.  War Eagle!!!!

The unknown (offense and defense) is creating caution for recruits right now. Not a bad thing, they just aren't sure what either side of the ball will look like until we actually play some games. Nothing recruits like a solid scheme and improvement.

Can anyone tell me the attraction an elite QB would have with bammer?  I realize we are known as Running Back U, but Auburn has produced several great QB's in the NFL, and the QB position has always played a vital role in our offense for as long as I can remember.

At bammer, they want a game manager.  Someone who will be content with handing the ball off 80% of the time, and staying out of the limelight that will be showered on their RB.  When I think of bammer QB's who made any difference in the NFL, I can only come up with Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler.  Am I missing any?  I don't follow the turds, so it's possible I left someone out, but nothing comes to mind. 

You have to think an elite QB would like to end up somewhere that will showcase his talents and further him on into the NFL.  You can argue that they want to win championships, and that satan has that going for him, but  I would counter that with "What is McElroy doing now?" or "How high a pick in the draft will McCarron be?". 

With CSL, I think we will become a hot destination for elite QB's.  War Eagle!!!!

You answered your own concern.  There are no great Bama QB's in the NFL because the great talents don't go to Bama, regardless of what there Rival's ranking says.  Apparently the message is already out there and the good QB's are listening.

• 3 weeks later...

Auburn's chances of landing Cooper Bateman don't look good. He's planning a June visit to Tuscaloosa with his parents and HC. Bateman makes it sounds like he may commit to them on that visit.

This (my theory) is why Simm's left, make the QB depth chart thinner. Will make it more attractive for Bateman to join the crimson cult.

Just got done watching Rettig's highlight film and all I can say is wow. He looks really polished and I hope he is the number one guy on our board. I highly recommend everyone going to check out his film, especially if Batemen casts his lot with the turds.

Looked at Scout and they said:

Salt Lake City (Utah) Cottonwood quarterback Cooper Bateman is one of the nation’s true elite quarterbacks. The signal caller took his long awaited visit to Washington over the weekend and the Huskies have a real shot in this one.

Someone please explain why any elite quarterback (that has NFL aspirations) would sign with Alabama.  When is the last time they had a quarterback do anything in the NFL?  It makes no sense to me. 

Someone please explain why any elite quarterback (that has NFL aspirations) would sign with Alabama.  When is the last time they had a quarterback do anything in the NFL?  It makes no sense to me. 

Please remember that the turd's new OC came from the PAC-10, Washington or Washington State, and Bateman just visited Washington and was very impressed.  That connection and Bateman's comfort level with the OC is one reason they are in the running, maybe the leader.

I can't think of any marquee players in the league but season before last (McElroy) went. They've def had their share of big time QBs make it in the NFL. Before Cam we had a pretty dry stretch too. I think that winning attracts players, regardless of their position. I can understand why they would interest an elite QB.

Archived