Kevin Olsen, QB 2013

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With new violations at Miami, and the ZP situation, any chance we recruit KO again?

To early to tell.

With new violations at Miami, and the ZP situation, any chance we recruit KO again?

With JJ and Jason both committed, I would think they would rather have another RB and need a WR, S, or LB, and OG. Then maybe, if it didn't get under JJ's skin, and we still had room take him on. I don't see the immediate need at QB like I do at OG and LB.

With JJ and Jason both committed, I would think they would rather have another RB, Safety, or LB, and OG. Then maybe, if it didn't get under JJ's skin, and we still had room take him on. I don't see the immediate need at QB like I do at OG and LB.

Good points; OG, LB--followed by RB and WR. Exceptions for super prospects at other positions e.g. Adams, Mathews & Howard.

With JJ and Jason both committed, I would think they would rather have another RB and need a WR, S, or LB, and OG. Then maybe, if it didn't get under JJ's skin, and we still had room take him on. I don't see the immediate need at QB like I do at OG and LB.

While I sincerely doubt that Smith ends up at QB, there really isn't a reason to go after another QB in this class. That's the beauty of Jonathan Wallace coming along as well as he is: regardless of Pike's situation, we are in an OUTSTANDING position to get one of the absolute top QBs in the 2014 class. By the time that guy gets here, Kiehl will be a senior, meaning he'll have time to redshirt while getting up to speed with the college level (not to mention learning the offense) and then compete for the starting position as a freshman, and I sincerely believe that after this year, we're going to have blue chip QBs lining up to play under Loeffler. I actually wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us take two top QBs in the 2014 class, a la Florida in 07, when they signed 5 star Cam Newton and 6.0 (rivals rating) 4 star Jeff Brantley.

While I sincerely doubt that Smith ends up at QB, there really isn't a reason to go after another QB in this class. That's the beauty of Jonathan Wallace coming along as well as he is: regardless of Pike's situation, we are in an OUTSTANDING position to get one of the absolute top QBs in the 2014 class. By the time that guy gets here, Kiehl will be a senior, meaning he'll have time to redshirt while getting up to speed with the college level (not to mention learning the offense) and then compete for the starting position as a freshman, and I sincerely believe that after this year, we're going to have blue chip QBs lining up to play under Loeffler. I actually wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see us take two top QBs in the 2014 class, a la Florida in 07, when they signed 5 star Cam Newton and 6.0 (rivals rating) 4 star Jeff Brantley.

yeah, I agree that Smith will not likely end up at QB. I included him to emphasize that we have the position filled, doubly so, if we did count him as a QB. Good mention of Wallace too. I'd forgotten about him somehow. Thanks for the catch.

I would love it if we recruited Olsen again.

Care to say why?

1. He is an outstanding qb.

2. You can never have too many qb's because a lot of them don't pan out no matter if they are 5* or 1*.

3. Depth. ZP is most likely never going to start a game for us. Smith is not going to end up at qb more than likely. And all we have are JW and JJ, after KF is gone, both of which aren't "college ready" as compared to other qb's out there. Not saying they aren't going to be all-americans and I think they have TONS of potential but...

So i really dont see a negative using a scholarship on another qb. JMHO

Care to say why?

2. You can never have too many qb's because a lot of them don't pan out no matter if they are 5* or 1*.

3. Depth. ZP is most likely never going to start a game for us. Smith is not going to end up at qb more than likely. And all we have are JW and JJ, after KF is gone, both of which aren't "college ready" as compared to other qb's out there. Not saying they aren't going to be all-americans and I think they have TONS of potential but...

JW will have two to three years behind KF at that point. JJ will have one to two. Bring in a '14 QB, or two '14 QB's, as Red said, if we want or can.

With Loeffler having a full year or more to eval and decide who he really wants, I think it would be possible(not probable) to have a true freshman QB if it came down to that. The other good Loeffler point is that we will be running a more pro style O. If things get bad at QB, he will just run the leather off the ball, as evidenced by his tenure at Temple.

I think we will be fine. With our current line projecting to be one of the best in the nation over the next two to three years, Katt Williams could line up at QB for all I care. And, he might never get touched :cool:.

Care to say why?

We simply don't have the room. I realize that QB is a high profile position, but it's not the only one on the team, and our needs at other positions are far greater. I feel pretty confident we will have Clint for at least one more year, maybe two, even if he's just playing backup, and Frazier has 2-3 years before he'll be gone, weighted more toward the 3 (most junior QBs who go pro early had a redshirt year; I can't think of a quarterback who was successful in the League without spending at least four years in college). Jeremy Johnson has already been promised by the staff that he will be the only QB in this class, so that could be a potential negative (losing the guy we have locked in simply to pursue another guy who may or may not be completely solid, even if he does flip from the U), and as I mentioned in another thread, Wallace has been working his tail off to learn the offense and get ready if needed.

Oh, did I mention we don't have room? It's not as if we're just giving away available scholarships to nobodies or anything...virtually everyone left on our board is a four or five star, and the only guy who comes to mind that isn't is a coach's son who happens to be a pretty danged good athlete in his own right.

In other words, don't count on the coaches even making an attempt to flip Olsen. If you're worried about Johnson's acumen, don't; Hayden Rettig, who may have the strongest arm in this entire class, didn't commit to LSU until after JJ committed to us for a reason, and it's not because the Bayou Bengals were his top choice.

Care to say why?

We simply don't have the room. I realize that QB is a high profile position, but it's not the only one on the team, and our needs at other positions are far greater. I feel pretty confident we will have Clint for at least one more year, maybe two, even if he's just playing backup, and Frazier has 2-3 years before he'll be gone, weighted more toward the 3 (most junior QBs who go pro early had a redshirt year; I can't think of a quarterback who was successful in the League without spending at least four years in college). Jeremy Johnson has already been promised by the staff that he will be the only QB in this class, so that could be a potential negative (losing the guy we have locked in simply to pursue another guy who may or may not be completely solid, even if he does flip from the U), and as I mentioned in another thread, Wallace has been working his tail off to learn the offense and get ready if needed.

Oh, did I mention we don't have room? It's not as if we're just giving away available scholarships to nobodies or anything...virtually everyone left on our board is a four or five star, and the only guy who comes to mind that isn't is a coach's son who happens to be a pretty danged good athlete in his own right.

In other words, don't count on the coaches even making an attempt to flip Olsen. If you're worried about Johnson's acumen, don't; Hayden Rettig, who may have the strongest arm in this entire class, didn't commit to LSU until after JJ committed to us for a reason, and it's not because the Bayou Bengals were his top choice.

I don't expect them to go after him or any other QB because of what they promised JJ, but if ZP doesn't come back, we would have room if not this year, next year for sure.

I don't expect them to go after him or any other QB because of what they promised JJ, but if ZP doesn't come back, we would have room if not this year, next year for sure.

Oh we'll be going after at least one QB next year whether Pike sticks around or not. I suspect that if big Zeke doesn't get his head on straight to make it back on the team, then we'll be signing two.

I agree that our staff will not try to flip Olsen or Rettig or Bateman.  I think we're moving in a different direction.  But I have to disagree about CM returning for his senior year (of course I hope I'm wrong).  In fact if he had been told the job was KF's in the Spring he might be at USA now. Our coaches wisely have kept the job open (officially)  because contrary to some I think we need Mosely this year.  He may not be our most talented QB but he is a capable SEC QB.  I would hate to start the season with a true freshman backup although Wallace may be eventually be our bridge between Frazier and Johnson/Smith or whoever.

I agree that our staff will not try to flip Olsen or Rettig or Bateman.  I think we're moving in a different direction.  But I have to disagree about CM returning for his senior year (of course I hope I'm wrong).  In fact if he had been told the job was KF's in the Spring he might be at USA now. Our coaches wisely have kept the job open (officially)  because contrary to some I think we need Mosely this year.  He may not be our most talented QB but he is a capable SEC QB.  I would hate to start the season with a true freshman backup although Wallace may be eventually be our bridge between Frazier and Johnson/Smith or whoever.

I also have doubts about Mosley returning next year.

I also have doubts about Mosley returning next year.

Moseley is a redshirt junior this year. That means academically he is a senior and could be graduating in this next academic year. That could influence his decision about next season.

Archived