Most Important Auburn Coach of the Modern Era - 1980s to 2010s

lca4081345162963

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no question it's Coach Dye. The others had success for certain, but they didn't impact the program and University like Dye. Not even close.

Guest shadoww

chizik, gets the credit for the title in 10, doing in 2 years what dye or tubby could not do in 20. he has clearly taken auburn to the next level. whether he can rebuild this team and take us back there without rocker or malzahn will be determined this year.

chizik, gets the credit for the title in 10, doing in 2 years what dye or tubby could not do in 20. he has clearly taken auburn to the next level. whether he can rebuild this team and take us back there without rocker or malzahn will be determined this year.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pat Dye took over a team that had won 29 games in the previous five years. By contrast, Chizik took over a team that had won 47 games in the previous five years.

Oh, btw, Dye's third team in 83 went 11-1 through the toughest schedule in the country, including wins over five top 10 opponents and one other win over a top 20 opponent. The were awarded the New York Times national championship, but were leapfrogged in the final poll because their bowl victory over Bo Schembechler's #8 Michigan team was a defensive struggle that finished with neither team breaking into double figures (final score 9-7). Dye's 1988 team was within a single big play of being undefeated and playing Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl for it all.

Chizik has done a great job, yeah. He took us to heights we'd not achieved in recent memory: a consensus national championship. But he picked us up to that level by standing on the shoulders of the giant that is everything Pat Dye accomplished.

Guest shadoww

chizik did the 1 thing that dye never did. he went out and hired the best offensive mind in the country. dye should have won more than 1 national title, but he did not. he did some good things for auburn, yes.

It's not even close. Pat Dye took a program that had seen its splendor dry up as Bear Bryant dominated the college football world from across the state, and in three years had Auburn right back to the pinnacle. Year two he beat Bear, year three he SHOULD have won it all. In 88, we were a single big play away from playing Notre Dame for it all. 89 saw our biggest rival finally make the trek to the Loveliest Village.

Everything that has happened to AU's football program since has been a product of Dye's efforts, because none of it would have been possible if not for Pat.

^^this^^ it's not even debatable! No one accomplished what Dye did, I don't care how many games they won.

chizik did the 1 thing that dye never did. he went out and hired the best offensive mind in the country. dye should have won more than 1 national title, but he did not. he did some good things for auburn, yes.

Okay, Chizik did the one thing Dye never did. Of course, in doing that one thing, he sacrificed that which was the greatest strength of Dye's teams: defense. And what about all the other things Dye did? Like beating Bear? Breaking the stigma of being a middling SEC team? Bringing the Iron Bowl to Auburn? Do those count for nothing?

Pat Dye stated at his press conference the Auburn he remembered from his playing days at Georgia had always been a physically tough team and would hit you in the mouth. He brought that and winning back to AU and he got us out of the "Nuetral Field" site with the updykes. Auburn didn't change the name of the field for nothing! 

Most Important - Dye easily

Best Representative of AU On and Off of the Field - I think Chizik has that one at this early stage of his career.

wde

Chizik did what he did because Dye preceded him.

Guest FEARLESSANDTRUE

"This place was great before you got here."

The young guys who don't have a reference point (relative, family friend, etc) to the Dye era and what AU went through in the preceding decade before he became coach just can't comprehend the place AU was at and where he took the program.  College football itself was an entirely different animal than it is today..it's almost apples and oranges, but today's program owes it's gratitude to what Dye accomplished.  and that's why the "scandal" that cost Dye his job is so outrageous.  It was an orchestrated smear campaign by Bammers and they achieved what they set out to do.. and that's one of the many reasons I despise "big time Bama" fans...They destroyed a great coach and an AU icon.

Dye, who when hired, was asked, "How long will it take to beat Alabama?"

His reply, "About 60 minutes!"

Enter a competitive, give it all you've got, winning attitude and spirit.

wde

(quote is approximate)

Quote from: augolf1716 on Today at 03:33:45 PM

W/O a doubt Doug Barfield the guy was a genius on defense

You forget that it was Doug's  DC, P. W.  "Bear " Underwood that was the architect

of those memorable (''shuddder") D's. 

Now back to reality, Coach Dye for all the reasons listed .

Oh I know bear Underwood was the architect but no one holds a candle to Barfield defensive genius

Quote from: augolf1716 on Today at 03:33:45 PM

You forget that it was Doug's  DC, P. W.  "Bear " Underwood that was the architect

of those memorable (''shuddder") D's. 

Now back to reality, Coach Dye for all the reasons listed .

Oh I know bear Underwood was the architect but no one holds a candle to Barfield defensive genius

My tongue in check reply too oblique ? 

While no one can dispute the results under Doug,  I always thought he ignored his defensive genius

and concentrated too much on his offensive  guruship.

After all he had James Brooks, Joe Cribbs  and William Andrews in the same backfield and the results where......

nevermind, look away, best not to dwell on it,  WDE !

Golf's assessment of Doug Barfield may not be far off.

Without his terrible W/L record , Dye would have never come to AU !

Thanks Coach Barfield !

Shucks! You stole my thunder!

My thoughts were along the same lines. If the powers that be at the time of the Barfield "era" had not seen how dark the program had gotten, they would not have pulled the strings to get CPD to the Plains. CPD deserves alot of respect for the time he was here no doubt. But we had sank to a low that I hope we will never see again and we were able to look over the mountain and get up out of the valley due to the foresight of those who pulled the strings.

Golf's assessment of Doug Barfield may not be far off.

Without his terrible W/L record , Dye would have never come to AU !

Thanks Coach Barfield !

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not counting Interim Coach Bill Oliver or the end of the Barfield era in 1980.

Reading > golf.

:P

not counting Interim Coach Bill Oliver or the end of the Barfield era in 1980.

Reading > golf.

:P

Oh I read that part but w/o Dougie coaching the way he did we may never have had the good fortune to get Coach Dye.

Archived