Never To Yield: Shon Coleman

TigerWar

http://www.nevertoyieldfoundation.com/2012/commitment-with-honor/

Commitment with Honor

Posted in NtY Articles | 8 comments

[shon Coleman]

When Shon Coleman signed with Auburn in 2010 no one could have imagined how drastically his life would change. He remains a Tiger despite battling cancer for the last two years.

When Shon Coleman signed a football scholarship with Auburn University in 2010, his future potential seemed unlimited.

Despite the fact that Coleman has yet to play a down for the Tigers and there is no guarantee he will ever contribute on the football field, his future in life remains bright thanks to the dedication and commitment of the Auburn coaching staff.

The 6-7 285 pound offensive lineman out of Olive Branch, Mississippi was one of the highlights of the 2010 recruiting class. He was a five-star recruit and expected to be an anchor of the Auburn offensive line for years to come.

He committed to Auburn and head coach Gene Chizik early in the process and then briefly flirted with Miami and Alabama before standing firm with his original choice and signing with Auburn on February 3, 2010.

Less than a month later, Coleman’s world was shattered.

The promising high school star who seemed destined for college success and who had NFL aspirations found himself in a fight for his very life.  Coleman was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).

By the end of March, Coleman had undergone surgery and was taking regular chemotherapy treatments.

As he battled the disease, Auburn coaches and fans remained firmly in his corner.

“All we do is think of him as part of our family,” Auburn assistant coach Trooper Taylor told the Associated Press in August. “He was an integral part of our recruiting class obviously. But he and his family were a bigtime inspiration for us.”

Auburn held his scholarship in reserve until such time as he could resume his career on the Plains.

One Auburn fan started a fundraising effort to collect funds to battle the disease in Coleman’s name.

As of December the fund had raised over $25,000.

In August of 2010 Coleman’s progress was sufficient that he was able to travel to attend Auburn’s game against Clemson.  Auburn coaches had been to visit him during his recovery, but this was his first chance to be in Auburn since his diagnosis.

“I haven’t been down there in awhile,” Coleman said, “and I’ve been really looking forward to coming to a big game.”

Coleman’s treatment was successful and by early 2011 the cancer was in remission.  His strength returning, Coleman began his academic career at Auburn while he held on to hope that one day he would be able to suit up for the Tigers.

“What a great story that this guy has done what he’s done,” Chizik said in March. “He’s in school. He is doing the things he needs to do to continue to try to get well and be a part of Auburn football. If that happens, that’s awesome. If it doesn’t, he’s part of the Auburn family and he’s here.”

Coleman was added to the 2011 roster as a freshman even though Auburn coaches knew he wouldn’t be able to be an active participant.

When the 2012 roster is released, expect Coleman to retain his spot, his scholarship and number 70 on the Tiger roster.

Coleman’s inspirational story and the commitment Auburn coaches showed by standing by him during adversity makes him perhaps the most beloved Tiger to never play a down.

Should he complete his journey back and one day take his place the field, the first time his name is called over the public address system Jordan Hare Stadium may not be able to hold the thunderous roar of joy that will shake its foundations.

In a world where some college football coaches refuse to acknowledge the blatant hypocrisy of demanding that recruits honor commitments on one hand while treating those commitments as if they were disposable on the other, it’s refreshing to see Auburn University and its coaching staff do the honorable thing and maintain Coleman’s status.

It is great to be an Auburn Tiger.  Just ask Shon.

Note:  Adult acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is a type of cancer in which the bone marrow makes too many lymphocytes (a type of white blood cell). The Never to Yield Foundation supports the Shon Coleman Tribute Fund and encourages you to get involved in the effort to find a cure. 

Thanks for sharing that; it's an outstanding story! How cool would it be for him to end up starting at RT as a freshman and being a part of the youth movement on the line? I don't know how realistic that is, but as miraculous as his recovery has been so far...well, I wouldn't put it past him!

BUMP! 

There is no reason this story should fall low on this board.  Every AU family member needs to keep this close to heart.  The article exemplifies what the Auburn family is all about.  Forget all of the recruiting wars, and everything that goes with it.  This is the kind of love and acceptance you get at Auburn.  The rest of the world needs to see it.  When it is realized by more people, the rest will take care of itself.  "Family" and "All In" are more than just catch phrases in this unique place.  It isn't for everybody, but for those few of us, it is everything!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!  We love you Shon!  Can't wait to see you on the field

BUMP! 

There is no reason this story should fall low on this board.  Every AU family member needs to keep this close to heart.  The article exemplifies what the Auburn family is all about.  Forget all of the recruiting wars, and everything that goes with it.  This is the kind of love and acceptance you get at Auburn.  The rest of the world needs to see it.  When it is realized by more people, the rest will take care of itself.  "Family" and "All In" are more than just catch phrases in this unique place.  It isn't for everybody, but for those few of us, it is everything!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!  We love you Shon!  Can't wait to see you on the field

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DITTO!!!x100%  :thumbsup:

Just his being enrolled and attending classes should be enough to show his commitment to Auburn and Auburn's to him. Not to mention God's hands at work. He could never take the field at Auburn and I would still want a #70 Jersey hanging on my wall. Shon is a walking testament to all of us.

:wareagle:

If he's never able to play football again, I hope there would be some way that he could be a game co-captain and be able to walk out on the field for the coin toss to give the people in the stands and watching the game on the tube the chance to let him know how much we love him. He's as every bit an inspiration as Kodi Burns was.

If he's never able to play football again, I hope there would be some way that he could be a game co-captain and be able to walk out on the field for the coin toss to give the people in the stands and watching the game on the tube the chance to let him know how much we love him. He's as every bit an inspiration as Kodi Burns was.

THIS x 200 !!!!!!!!!!

War Eagle Shon!

I love using Shon's story as an example of Family and All In and what truly is Auburn.  I travel with my job and typically have my Auburn cap hanging from my backpack which gets remarks (both good and bad).  I have heard my share of remarks about our catch phrases.  I simply tell them to google Shon Coleman or explain his situation to them.  Several people will say "wow I had no idea,  why is that not a main story on ESPN or something?"  I simply tell them because Auburn doesn't feel the need to shove every good deed down your throat like some schools.  We simply just do what we need to do and don't have to brag about it.

I also like using Kodi's story as well when people try and talk about selfish players at Auburn.

I hate to state the obvious but sure glad he choose Auburn and not Bama.

Brought a tear to my eye.  This is a great testament not only to the battle that Shon has had to fight and overcome, but to what kind of men we have coaching our beloved Tigers.  Every time I read a story like this I think about all of the whining and complaining that most all of us are known to do from time to time about our team, recruiting, etc (not that there is anything wrong with that, sports and Auburn football in particular is our passion), and I just realize how much more there is to life and to Auburn. 

War Eagle Shon!  I pray this young man gets to suit up and step on the field at least one time in his career.  If only for one down in one game, I can't wait to see it.

"War Eagle Shon!  I pray this young man gets to suit up and step on the field at least one time in his career.  If only for one down in one game, I can't wait to see it."

^^^^^^^^^^^ this is the stuff movies are made of!!!!!!  Rudy, Blindside, etc.  Could you imagine the response it would get?  May be a way to help him along with his ongoing medical bills.  Who knows?  anybody have any conenctions to the industry?

Just bumping this post back to the top where hopefully others will read and do the same. Shon and Coach Chizik and both real Auburn men. This story needs to be told and lets face it, they reside on the wrong side of the state for this to get much media attention. War Eagle!

Amen to that. It's this kind of thing that reminds me why I love Auburn, and why I'm so happy to have Coach Chiz leading the way for us.

I as most people have long supported Shon and his fight to recovery.  I am so proud of CGC and Auburn for there commitment to the "whole" person who is a student at Auburn,  War Eagle

Archived