My Take on the 2012 Recruiting Class

TigerWar

I just think the reason for the disappointment is because we're so passionate about our school and we've been spoiled after signing back to back top 5 classes the last couple of years. Also, add to that we were in contention for a lot of 4 star and 5 star prospects on NSD and they almost all decided against going to Auburn, so that was hard to take all at one time.

There's nothing wrong about being disappointed about not finishing with the same type of nationally ranked class that we've grown accustomed to the last couple of years. However, it is wrong to say that this class is terrible and comparable to that of a UAB, Troy or Kentucky even.

With that said, I also am not going to drink the kool-aid and pump in the sunshine and say this is a phenomenal or even great class because it's not by the standards that our coaching staff has set the last couple of years. It's a good class, but not a great one. I believe we can move up to classifying it as a "very good" class with the addition of Diggs and especially if we get him, and at least Jordan or Kozan.

One thing I can say is a huge positive is that with the addition of Jordan Diamond or Alex Kozan, or even both (fingers crossed), Auburn will have signed arguably the best offensive line class in the nation. We've done this 2 or 3 times the last several years, so we're definitely stock piling the big uglies and I don't think Jeff Grimes gets nearly enough credit as being one of the, if not the very best OL recruiter in the nation.

Make no bones about it, our class and program, whether you like or not, are measured up against our top rival, so that's another reason that you have so many of our fans voicing their displeasure -- because of our rival's success. However, Jay Jacobs hired "a winner, not a loser" when he brought Gene Chizik to the plains, despite the wishes of the majority of our fan base mind you. And what he got in Chizik is someone that truly lives and breathes the Auburn Creed, especially the part that says, "I believe in work...hard work," because the only way to beat the best and compete with the best is by outworking them or at the very least, working just as hard as them, and there's no question we have that in Gene Chizik.

Give Nick Saban credit, despite his win at all costs attitude, he consistently gets the very best recruits in the nation to sign with his program and that transitions on the field to championships. We got a taste of what that's like under Chizik and it was literally like blood in the water that has only left us wanting more and more.

So, a day after signing day where a lot of our fans have jumped off the ledge, I encourage you, get back up, dust yourself off and continue to press forward supporting this program knowing that our coaching staff will be more determined than ever to bust their butts out on the road, develop quality relationships and continue to actively seek the signatures of the very best high school prospects in the nation while doing it the right way, the only way, the Auburn way.

War Eagle Forever!

Archived