SI's Stewart Mandel Tweet

TigerWar

It should have been this year we get the bump, not next.  By next NSD there will have been 2 new BCS champs since us.  We will have been old new by then.  This was the time for us to make our move

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LA media treats USCw as the Alabama media does fat. Kid gloves. LA Times columnist wrote more negatively about AU during the Cam deal than they ever have about USC. Google away if you doubt that.

L. Williams picked USC because of LA paper writers?  come on, TT.  The whole "everyone hates us" cry is a bit much.  Alabama is generally UA-centric.  Always has been. Always will.  this year is not especially different in that regard.

Some of you need to run to the the grocery store and get some milk to calm yourselves down. Because someone has popped the boobie out of your mouth.

Biggest bunch of cry babies I have seen in a long time on here today

We will not win 9 or 10 games next year.  I just posted about that on the football board.  Winning 8 would be a major accomplishment.

Go back to hooterville, bamr.

Some of you need to run to the the grocery store and get some milk to calm yourselves down. Because someone has popped the boobie out of your mouth.

Biggest bunch of cry babies I have seen in a long time on here today

Now that was good right there...  :laugh:  I agree

I actually like Stewart.  He's one of my favorite sports columnists.  Maybe he should take that thought as a cue to write a thoughtful piece about how certain schools have figured out that they can create a completely unsubstantiated media blitz against a rival school and pretty successfully tarnish it's reputation.

If you think about it, recruiting for AU may be the hardest job in the country, as we are an elite university, with an elite program, but we are probably the only program that has to deal with the sheer amount of negative recruiting as we do... and I'm not talking about another schools recruiter saying bad things about us when talking one-on-one with a recruit, I'm talking about mass effort to tarnish our name on all fronts, media, psychotic fans, etc.

We also have to recruit directly against the one school that most effectively uses the rule book as a guideline for just how underhanded they can be without getting the hammer dropped on them.

So... that all being said, kudos to our staff for bringing in even a top 50 class.  As you might all recall, it wasn't too long ago that a 4-star committing to Auburn was a REALLY big deal, instead of a 3-star being a let down for some folks. What they are getting done is pretty great, especially with the huge target that the National Championship put on our back, when it comes to our rival schools and they way they do business.

We will not win 9 or 10 games next year.  I just posted about that on the football board.  Winning 8 would be a major accomplishment.

Funny, only ten posts and you've already worn out your welcome.  Reminds me of how much I dislike "Hoover-ville".

LA media treats USCw as the Alabama media does fat. Kid gloves. LA Times columnist wrote more negatively about AU during the Cam deal than they ever have about USC. Google away if you doubt that.

L. Williams picked USC because of LA paper writers?  come on, TT.  The whole "everyone hates us" cry is a bit much.  Alabama is generally UA-centric.  Always has been. Always will.  this year is not especially different in that regard.

L.Williams is their only recruit? He must be one hell of a player. If you don't think the media plays a part in perception of a bunch of kids who do not know any other way to judge life that isn't tweeted, I can't help you. By any stretch of the imagination I do not think that is the only issue in play. But to suggest that "the everyone is against us" is the only part of media coverage from a NATIONAL perspective, is a completely deluded point of view. LA media doesn't treat USC as Alabama media does AU. That was my only point in it and even they made many negative AU comments. Your belief in that or disbelief means nothing to me.

I didn't say anything about Williams selecting because of a paper, more of your deflecting responses that mean nothing to me. Only one of us thinks of you as a realist and it's not me.

No, the point is that USCw didn't get the same kind of negative press following the Bush scandal, even though they were guilty, as we did following the Newton scandal, even though we were clean. Nothing to do with L Williams.

I'm sorry but I agree with him.  The coaches really dropped the ball this year.  I know I will get blasted by the sunshine pumpers, but I'm entitled to my opinion.  

It's the coaches' fault that the local media accosted us and the national media never corrected them?

Why are we always looking for some where to place the blame other than in house??? No one is coach bashing if it's the truth... We had at least 6 guys on the fence and they didn't bring them in. We lost a player to TCU who lives 2hrs from campus....   :banghead:

So did Florida, Georgia, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State and USCw.  Guess they suck at recruiting too...  :banghead:

I don't think anyone is being disloyal but we have to be honest with our evaluation of this recruiting year.  I'm sure the coaches are disappointed that we missed on so many of our targets.  We all know that our football program had some bad hits this year and there have been several posts on that.  Some poeple on the site immediately attack anyone that is not breaking into a cheer.  Let's be honest; this is not a strong recruiting class and targeted recruits chose to move away from AU.  Being in the SEC, we all know the level of competition.  We can talk about what we already have and toot our talent horn but the fact is that while of course we have talent, the other teams in the conference are also stocked for the most part.  But they reload each year making their talent level even stronger.  One bad year won't kill us but it weakens us.  ANd knowing how hard our coaches worked to rebuild our program, it is very disappointing.  

Many of us worried about recruiting when the coordiantors took so long to hire.  While I think we hired very good coordinators that will make our program better, the delay, along with the overall perception that things were fallen apart, had an obvious effect.  But so many just posted that things would be fine, the coaches had a plan, and we were in line to get a stellar class.  It didn't happen.  I hope that if there is a lessen to be learned is that the world does not love AU the way we do.  We need to look at things from a more realistic perspective and then look for how to do things better.  

Next season we will be competing in the best conference once again.  I hope we can show marked improvement and earn the respect of the next wave of recruits.  AL, UGA, and LSU continue to bring in top classes.  It doesn't take too many of these low years to bring down a program.                    

I'm sorry but I agree with him.  The coaches really dropped the ball this year.  I know I will get blasted by the sunshine pumpers, but I'm entitled to my opinion.  

I have an opinion too.. First Mandel is a tool... Secondly you are a pessimist as I am an optimist and I know AU shines brightest when those think AU is done. So although it appears bleak, remember the battle may be lost today, but the war will be when in August when we see who qualifies and who makes meaningful contributions over the next 4 years.

What irks me more than the "negative Nancys" is the people that are quick to label and dress down others who don't pump the sunshine hard enough for them.

I don't think anyone is being disloyal but we have to be honest with our evaluation of this recruiting year.  I'm sure the coaches are disappointed that we missed on so many of our targets.  We all know that our football program had some bad hits this year and there have been several posts on that.  Some poeple on the site immediately attack anyone that is not breaking into a cheer.  Let's be honest; this is not a strong recruiting class and targeted recruits chose to move away from AU.  Being in the SEC, we all know the level of competition.  We can talk about what we already have and toot our talent horn but the fact is that while of course we have talent, the other teams in the conference are also stocked for the most part.  But they reload each year making their talent level even stronger.  One bad year won't kill us but it weakens us.  ANd knowing how hard our coaches worked to rebuild our program, it is very disappointing.  

Many of us worried about recruiting when the coordiantors took so long to hire.  While I think we hired very good coordinators that will make our program better, the delay, along with the overall perception that things were fallen apart, had an obvious effect.  But so many just posted that things would be fine, the coaches had a plan, and we were in line to get a stellar class.  It didn't happen.  I hope that if there is a lessen to be learned is that the world does not love AU the way we do.  We need to look at things from a more realistic perspective and then look for how to do things better.  

Next season we will be competing in the best conference once again.  I hope we can show marked improvement and earn the respect of the next wave of recruits.  AL, UGA, and LSU continue to bring in top classes.  It doesn't take too many of these low years to bring down a program.                    

Thank you! This needed to be said.

Funny, only ten posts and you've already worn out your welcome.  Reminds me of how much I dislike "Hoover-ville".

sniff, sniff I smell a.......

Looks like Auburn will end the day with 17 - 19 (my guess is 18) good players.  I am very proud those players chose to play for Auburn.  I will put those 17 - 19 players against any other team,  however we needed a few more today.  I did not care which ones, but of the 8-10 players it looked like we were going to sign last week  we needed at least 4 of them to fill the class. 

I expect the coaches to come back next year and have a strong class and backcount some guys to fill out this year's class, but Auburn would have been in a stronger position to pick up a few more players off the lists we were looking at last week.

...realist?

...realist?

:laugh:

I was beginning to smell one too!

Back to the thread topic.  While I agree with parts of some of his posts, I also know a reporter when I see one that will put one truth in a sentence then try to go out of his way in another to spin something just as negative as he can about AU. I believe he is one of the guys who made a lot of statements about AU a year ago that never came true and he is still smarting over it.  Of course it is the job of the AU PR dept, the Coaching Staff as well as all of us to combat this type of thing. I have never been one to believe that a 100% turn the other cheek policy is a good strategy. So, here is just a little sample of his efforts from today, FYI.  ;)

slmandel Stewart Mandel

I have no beef. But apparently many of the nation's top HS football players do. RT @cubbies1967: @slmandel what is your beef with Auburn?

1 hour ago

slmandel Stewart Mandel

@

@AUPPL Auburn is a great place. I always enjoy my time there ... but they're striking out in recruiting. One doesn't change the other.

1 hour ago

slmandel Stewart Mandel

Normally schools get a recruiting bump from winning the national title a year later. With Auburn, it's like it never happened.

1 hour ago

slmandel Stewart Mandel

Does anyone want to play for Auburn this year? RT @EyeOnCFB: Fast-rising S Jordan Moore pledges to TCU over Auburn bit.ly/A9q6uQ

14 hours ago

It's the coaches' fault that the local media accosted us and the national media never corrected them?

No, not the coaches fault but the athletic department's.  Auburn has needed a better Public Relations presence for some time.  The last 18 months has reinforced the need.  It hurts that for the longest Auburn's Comm department was subpar and in fact while I was there, they lost their accreditation and part of the reason I left Auburn for UAB.  We haven't produced or believed in effective Public Relations in years.  What we have produced PR in the athletic department has been by happenstance.

THIS x 100!!!!!!!!!!!

I smelled him in the Goldman thread yesterday  ;D

Quote from: IronMan70 on January 31, 2012, 05:57:05 PM

Quote from: hooverville29 on January 31, 2012, 03:35:29 PM

Up around where he goes to school, all you hear is FSU.  Don't know why this 50% stuff has any legs.  Got a feeling we fans are doing another "Armstead thing."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rowww taahhhhd <==============  ;D

Very well thought out post. Eloquently put.

Archived