SI's Stewart Mandel Tweet

TigerWar

I'm sorry but I agree with him.  The coaches really dropped the ball this year.  I know I will get blasted by the sunshine pumpers, but I'm entitled to my opinion.  

You are entitled to your opinion but if you dont look at recruting as a whole then you have failed to see anything.  Auburn is getting what they need this year...we have 2 other classes already at Auburn that have will prove itself.  Do not attempt to bash coaches when you have no idea what your talking about.

So you are just fine getting burned today because we signed 2 classes already? Lmao! Do you know that every other school in the SEC west did also. You people kill me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will not win 9 or 10 games next year.  I just posted about that on the football board.  Winning 8 would be a major accomplishment.

Glad you can predcit the future  :rolleyes:

We will not win 9 or 10 games next year.  I just posted about that on the football board.  Winning 8 would be a major accomplishment.

lol this might be the best overreaction yet   :rolleyes:   :P

Man, I thought I was a pessimist. Every post you've made thus far has been such a downer.

So I guess the past 2 top 5 recruiting classes mean nothing?

I'm sorry but I agree with him.  The coaches really dropped the ball this year.  I know I will get blasted by the sunshine pumpers, but I'm entitled to my opinion.  

It's the coaches' fault that the local media accosted us and the national media never corrected them?

No, not the coaches fault but the athletic department's.  Auburn has needed a better Public Relations presence for some time.  The last 18 months has reinforced the need.  It hurts that for the longest Auburn's Comm department was subpar and in fact while I was there, they lost their accreditation and part of the reason I left Auburn for UAB.  We haven't produced or believed in effective Public Relations in years.  What we have produced PR in the athletic department has been by happenstance.

While imploring everyone not to start the negativity and to be patient. Dichotomy much? Friggin hilarious.

JMO, but this issue kinda begs the question, which has the greater impact on games (positive or negative), barely missing on some high profile big names or taking lower profile smaller name players?  For example, AUC reported that we could have landed Benequez Brown if we had offered last week.  The 5 am offer this morning wasn't enough to get it done.  So, should we have "settled" in some cases when it began to appear that maybe, just maybe, we weren't going to catch the big fish?  I don't know the answer but I'm sure I'll get lots of help figuring it out.

The coaches put us in the best possible position with some of the nations best prospects, a position that we've never been before.  All we, as fans, can ask of our staff is to put us in the best possible position.  They did that.

The best possible position with a recruit is to have that recruit committed to your school.  I don't think there is any question that our staff has failed at that today.  

Wow, it's getting pretty obvious that this may need to be the day I stay off here. Cannot believe what some are writing. While I have my opinions on today, we all know what opinions are like. Or we used to.

Man, I thought I was a pessimist. Every post you've made thus far has been such a downer.

I have noticed that also. Kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?

...he says, rubbing his houndstooth script A. there should have been a post count limiter or something for today.

You are entitled to your opinion but if you dont look at recruting as a whole then you have failed to see anything.  Auburn is getting what they need this year...we have 2 other classes already at Auburn that have will prove itself.  Do not attempt to bash coaches when you have no idea what your talking about.

So you are just fine getting burned today because we signed 2 classes already? Lmao! Do you know that every other school in the SEC west did also. You people kill me.

Who said we got burned?  Do you know what the coaches know...do you know what Auburn needs?  No you don't and neither do I or anyone else on this board. What I do know is that the coaches are doing exactly what they need to do and getting the people they feel is the best fit for Auburn.  So we missed out out on some recruits we would have liked to have...does that mean Auburn won't make it?  Heck no.  Auburn will be just fine and will do well.  If you think otherwise then you are crazy.

I don't really buy the recruit nationally bit being a mistake that is lending this kind of NSD for us. I mean, we did go pretty hard after local kids, too, after all.

No, maybe I am just looking to place the blame somewhere else, but I firmly believe that most of the problems we've had stemmed from the prolonged NCAA investigation and the way it was made such a huge deal when it was hot but then swept under the rug when it ended. You think kids didn't see that clip on The Herd where dude played a laugh track over and over about the Newton ruling? You think schools didn't use negative recruiting against us?

Yeah, maybe I'm delusional.

But we've still got a class that is loaded with talent. Most of the three star players have legitimate arguments for being four stars. Remember, this is the coaching staff that pulled a two star safety out of Mississippi and turned him into a Freshman All-SEC performer, then were the first ones to jump on the OT of a team that already had another lineman getting big press. Daren Bates is a returning starter this year, and for those who don't remember, Shon Coleman saw his rating, and his offer list, skyrocket not long after he committed to Auburn.

So relax. All is well. I feel pretty comfortable that Chizik and company know what they are doing, even if the unwarranted negativity did drag us down some.

It's the coaches' fault that the local media accosted us and the national media never corrected them?

USCw has endured as much negative press as anyone.  They seem to be doing perty good today.

I am sick of all of the negativity here.  True AU fans, do you really think this is helping our program in any way?? If the mods can't recognize all of the posers on here and get rid of them, then this is becoming no better than al.com.  I have seen the same trolls on here since I have been on this site and nothing is done.  Maybe we should report them more and see if the mods won't do something about it.  This is ridiculous!

This is a talented class.  It's just too thin.  And we've had lots of disappointment along the way, more than our fair share.

Mandel is just doing his job.  He's right, obviously.  Not the end of the world.  But a disappointment, overall.

The kids we've signed are NOT disappointments!

if you are a big believer in ratings, maybe it has been a disappointing day for Auburn. Sure, we missed on some but that's the risk you take. But, you never know who pans out and who doesn't. IMO, I think these guys are great additions to an already maturing group of young men. AU is full of talent on both sides. wde.

This is a talented class.  It's just too thin.  And we've had lots of disappointment along the way, more than our fair share.

Mandel is just doing his job.  He's right, obviously.  Not the end of the world.  But a disappointment, overall.

DyeCamp, can you change your avatar back to the other one?  That would really cheer up the place.

LA media treats USCw as the Alabama media does uat. Kid gloves. LA Times columnist wrote more negatively about AU during the Cam deal than they ever have about USC. Google away if you doubt that.

DyeCamp, can you change your avatar back to the other one?  That would really cheer up the place.

I loved that avatar too -- with all my heart.  ;) But not appropriate for long-term use, at least not for me.

We cant expect a top 5 class after going 7-5 following a nat. championship.  But seriously who cares, we are top 25 probably, just relax. I used to get bent out of shape too but, after 4 years on here for NSD it just kinda makes you realize it's not that important in the long run because so much happens in between.  

Bird, I love you man but we have the highest paid coaching staff in the nation and spend as much recruiting as anyone.  Our ticket prices just went up and it's frigging hard to get a good tailgate spot.  I dont feel bad BLAMING the coaches for a bad strategy.  But if what you suggest is their strategy, then are you saying that they had no plan b?  Because at some point in time we do need players.  If we sign 19 and 5 wash out, in three years the people on this and every other board will be saying it was this Year that set us back three seasons just like they say Tubs did with his recruiting.

I think Chiz will man up and say we missed out on some and then move on to the new players we have.  There is no spinning today.  We lick our wounds and move on, but are getting our butts handed to us.  That's a fact, not an opinion.

WDE

Archived