SI's Stewart Mandel Tweet

TigerWar

Ouch!

@slmandel Stewart Mandel

Normally schools get a recruiting bump from winning the national title a year later. With Auburn, it's like it never happened.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The third is the biggest but you should still get a boost. If we dont win 9 or 10 games next year it wont matter at all.

I'm sorry but I agree with him.  The coaches really dropped the ball this year.  I know I will get blasted by the sunshine pumpers, but I'm entitled to my opinion.  

I'm sorry but I agree with him.  The coaches really dropped the ball this year.  I know I will get blasted by the sunshine pumpers, but I'm entitled to my opinion.  

You are entitled to your opinion but if you dont look at recruting as a whole then you have failed to see anything.  Auburn is getting what they need this year...we have 2 other classes already at Auburn that have will prove itself.  Do not attempt to bash coaches when you have no idea what your talking about.

It's the coaches' fault that the local media accosted us and the national media never corrected them?

Yep you will and should be blasted

I have an opinion too.. First Mandel is a tool... Secondly you are a pessimist as I am an optimist and I know AU shines brightest when those think AU is done. So although it appears bleak, remember the battle may be lost today, but the war will be when in August when we see who qualifies and who makes meaningful contributions over the next 4 years.

Maybe this is a better way to look at it.  Phillip Marshall wrote what I thought was a very insightful article yesterday.  In it, he asserted that Chizik made a strategic decision to leverage AU's NC and go after big names nationally rather than execute a more traditional, regional recruiting strategy.  If it worked, he looks like a genius.  If not, he doesn't look too smart.  It's the perfect hero/goat set up, and so far, the results of the day aren't tending toward hero.  So, maybe a more fair statement than "the coaches dropped the ball" is that the coaches made a decision and, in this case, the strategy wasn't effective.

Facts are facts unfortunately, we have a great group of guys coming in, some very highly rated and regarded, but we got beat today and there's no doubt about why, it's a nature of the beast. We'll win 11 games next year with the bowl, and sign a great class in 2013, barring the world ending on dec 21st. The best can still get punched in the stomach some times, but we will come back fighting.

Maybe this is a better way to look at it.  Phillip Marshall wrote what I thought was a very insightful article yesterday.  In it, he asserted that Chizik made a strategic decision to leverage AU's NC and go after big names nationally rather than execute a more traditional, regional recruiting strategy.  If it worked, he looks like a genius.  If not, he doesn't look too smart.  It's the perfect hero/goat set up, and so far, the results of the day aren't tending toward hero.  So, maybe a more fair statement than "the coaches dropped the ball" is that the coaches made a decision and, in this case, the strategy wasn't effective.

I will agree with this thought.

I have an opinion too.. First Mandel is a tool... Secondly you are a pessimist as I am an optimist and I know AU shines brightest when those think AU is done. So although it appears bleak, remember the battle may be lost today, but the war will be when in August when we see who qualifies and who makes meaningful contributions over the next 4 years.

Do you have this copied to your clipboard or something? lol I've seen this in every thread I've opened.

Anyways, with today's youth and coaching turnover, I just don't see the whole "two or three years after a NC" remaining true much longer.

It's the coaches' fault that the local media accosted us and the national media never corrected them?

Why are we always looking for some where to place the blame other than in house??? No one is coach bashing if it's the truth... We had at least 6 guys on the fence and they didn't bring them in. We lost a player to TCU who lives 2hrs from campus....   :banghead:

I wish I was more computer savvy, because I would post on this message the Jack Nicholson diatribe from A Few Good Men and send it to all the Sunshine Pumpers out there:   THE TRUTH????  YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!  Or maybe the little guy in "Animal House". Screaming "All is well" while he is being trampled by a panicked crowd fleeing the carnage.

I think we will be fine next year, but today is WAY below any reasonable expectations based on past results.  It can't be spun.  And for the record, I don't think Chiz will try to spin it.

WDE. Anyhow!!

Even though it seems we gambled and lost on the big ones, we are mainly ranked lower because of the number of commitments and not star power. Average player rank we are top 10.

nice, 87

Why are we always looking for some where to place the blame other than in house??? No one is coach bashing if it's the truth... We had at least 6 guys on the fence and they didn't bring them in. We lost a player to TCU who lives 2hrs from campus....   :banghead:

Why does there have to be blame assigned?  The coaches put us in the best possible position with some of the nations best prospects, a position that we've never been before.  If they decided on another school, so be it.  All we, as fans, can ask of our staff is to put us in the best possible position.  They did that.

I am afraid all of the negative publicity we got last year is hurting us this year. I thought the NCAA coming out and publicly clearing us would help, but apparently it didn't. Schools "negative recruited" us and apparently the kids bought what they were selling. We need to go out and have a good year this season and things will work out in our favor IMO. I think we have had some quality players sign with us already today. Hopefully there will be more this afternoon. Today is like every other day though.........IT'S GREAT TO BE AN AUBURN TIGER!!!!!!!!!

We will not win 9 or 10 games next year.  I just posted about that on the football board.  Winning 8 would be a major accomplishment.

Ignorant statement.....We had nothing but noobs last year....you are saying the same team (cause we return almost everyone) with a year under their belt....and a much more favorable schedule is going to be equal to what we did with first year players and a horrendous schedule...your logic sir, is broken

Archived