Preseason

Rednilla

You know, I've been thinking about how predictions for next season are going to go, and I think I might have an idea. We'll probably make the big preseason polls, the AP and Coaches' Polls, but the others I expect to be kinda split. Some will see that we had five losses last year, a QB controversy, and O-line issues. Ergo, we will either be ranked low or not ranked at all for some such publications.

However, I expect at least a few "experts" to pick us pretty high, probably even a few who have us as darkhorse contenders for the national championship. Why? Well, why did they pick us to do so poorly last year? Partially because of the schedule, partially because of the lack of returning starters. So this year, if they look, they'll see that we have 18 starters returning and play LSU and Georgia at home...add to that the fact that we did win it all in 2010, putting us in that category of potential NC winners even for those who know nothing of the history, or, for that matter, the flawed perception that Auburn was somehow a less than elite program before 2010, and I think we're going to see a few pundits predicting that we win it all this year, or at least that we are the dark horse. That is because they'll see how many players we have returning this year and think, hey, I could pick Auburn, make a splash, and then maybe even be right at the end of the year!

Eh, just a thought. I know the state media hates us, but the national media is just looking to make a buck, and I suspect that there will be a few who look at the numbers anew and realize how good a shot we have. I don't like such predictions, and I don't think they will be true if they are made...but I do think there is the potential for an absolutely spectacular season, bammer propaganda be damned.

I am just waiting to watch bama be next year's Oklahoma. They will be preseason top 3 and may barely finish in the top 15. We probably won't start near the top 25 unless they think the OC and DC will make a huge difference.

didn't I see some poll- perhaps a Vegas sort of deal- shortly after the bowl game that said we would be projected at 13th in the preseason polls? I'm not sure we'll be the dark horses, and I deeply doubt we'll be unranked. I expect the rest of the SEC (if not the nat'l media) to consider us a top-tier team next year.

Maybe you're right, I don't know. Still, even if we're 13th, that would still put us as a dark horse for the national championship, right? :dunno: It would be cool if we started somewhere in the mid-teens though, just because it's so much easier to rise to the top spot from there.

Follow the money for the least biased view.  Early odds for the national championship has Auburn at 30/1.  That's around #17 on the list tied with Texas and Nebraska.  I'm thinking that's a pretty good starting place for Auburn. 

I agree...we are a pretty high-risk pick above that.  For AU it's all about faith that the young players from last season will  have matured and able to play to the level of the other SEC powers.  Still gotta play LSU, Bama and UGa and need to beat a couple of them.

Maybe you're right, I don't know. Still, even if we're 13th, that would still put us as a dark horse for the national championship, right? :dunno: It would be cool if we started somewhere in the mid-teens though, just because it's so much easier to rise to the top spot from there.

its even easier to climb to the top spot when you start in the top 5  ;D

however, i have never seen us fair very well from that spot.  it seems as though we always respond better to being the underdog, with something to prove to the world.  it's interesting how well we have done under these conditions, eventhrough multiple coaching staffs.  :dunno:

its even easier to climb to the top spot when you start in the top 5   ;D

however, i have never seen us fair very well from that spot.  it seems as though we always respond better to being the underdog, with something to prove to the world.  it's interesting how well we have done under these conditions, eventhrough multiple coaching staffs.   :dunno:

We're no different than other teams starting out ranked in the top 5.  There's really nowhere to go but down when you start out there, and odds are you will drop one along the way. 

Dark horse national title contender????? Have you lost your mind??? We were outscored 170-45 by the top teams in our league last year. We were completely overmatched in almost every phase. We have no idea what we will get from the QB position this year (and the offensive line for that matter) and overall we will still be a young team. Unless there is a turnaround of herculean proportions in ONE offseason, I don't see how anyone could consider us a national title contender.

Dark horse national title contender????? Have you lost your mind??? We were outscored 170-45 by the top teams in our league last year. We were completely overmatched in almost every phase. We have no idea what we will get from the QB position this year (and the offensive line for that matter) and overall we will still be a young team. Unless there is a turnaround of herculean proportions in ONE offseason, I don't see how anyone could consider us a national title contender.

And of those top teams in the league, at least two of them are losing a great deal off of their team (Alabama through graduation, LSU through players leaving). Meanwhile, we went from losing 18 starters after 2010 to returning 18 starters in 2011.

While I do think that we have the talent, coaching, and yes, experience to at the very least challenge for winning the SEC, which of late has been synonymous with the national championship, that's not what I'm saying. Simply pointing out that there will probably be some sports writers who look at what we have coming back and decide that we're a good out-of-left-field type of pick. I hope I'm wrong about that, because I don't like having that kind of hype being put on a young team (see 2003), but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised by it.

We were not supposed to be contenders in 2010. That worked out pretty good. Call me a sunshine pumper, but I imagine that CGC has expectations of being a contender. The team goes into the season with the mindset of winning every game. So do I, is it possible? Maybe, maybe not. Only time will tell.

I believe we will be post season ranked around 18th (maybe a little above 18 and perhaps a little below). No way we crack the top 5.

Here is my guess.

Preseason rankings

1. Alabama

2. Oklahoma

3. Oregon

4. USC

5. LSU

6. Oklahoma State

7. Michigan State

8. Florida State

9. Georgia

10. Arkansas

11. Virginia Tech

12. Clemson

13. Wisconsin

14. South Carolina

15. Stanford

16. Michigan

17. Boise State

18. Auburn

19. TCU

20. Southern Miss

21. Florida

22. West Virginia

23. Notre Dame

24. Houston

25. Kansas State

I think we'll start out somewhere between 20 & 25 and that we will not be picked as a preseason dark horse NC candidate by any national media.  They are lemmings and very, very few of them will break from the pack.   That said, we'll be tested early and will get some attention and if still undefeated in late September Auburn will move quickly into the top 10 if we keep winning in October.

I'm not going to pretend to know what the rankings will be but there is no way UA will be preseason #1. Methinks USC might be

I believe we will be post season ranked around 18th (maybe a little above 18 and perhaps a little below). No way we crack the top 5.

Here is my guess.

Preseason rankings

1. Alabama

2. Oklahoma

3. Oregon

4. USC

5. LSU

6. Oklahoma State

7. Michigan State

8. Florida State

9. Georgia

10. Arkansas

11. Virginia Tech

12. Clemson

13. Wisconsin

14. South Carolina

15. Stanford

16. Michigan

17. Boise State

18. Auburn

19. TCU

20. Southern Miss

21. Florida

22. West Virginia

23. Notre Dame

24. Houston

25. Kansas State

James--I agree with the points you bring up. I love to pump sunshine but realistically, we will have one he** of a time just to place 3rd in our devision of our conference! Being in the top 3 will prob give us a top 15 ranking. I feel like we could reach a 10 win season with luck but we have a lot of improving to do.

You are so right. We have very little chance at a National Championship this year. I'm not sure there is any point in even trying to get to it.  :rolleyes:

Last year was last year. You don't get worse in between seasons. If we are a few games better than we were this year we are a Dark Horse for a National Title. It's really not that much of a stretch. Especially with the favorable schedule.

We need both lines and a QB to step it up and manage the games for us. Impossible, I know.

I'm not going to be disappointed if it doesn't happen but to wonder if somebody is out of their mind because they think we could possibly be a darkhorse is kinda silly IMO.

I'm not going to pretend to know what the rankings will be but there is no way UA will be preseason #1. Methinks USC might be

Have to remember that ESPN LOVES SABAN AND BAMA!! Not saying this is the end of the season, pre-season poll only..

This is the perfect song for our team next year. I'd love to have this as our intro song too.

"Written in the Stars"--Tinie Tempah

Gets me so PUMPED!

This is the perfect song for our team next year. I'd love to have this as our intro song too.

Gets me so PUMPED!

I like it! :thumbsup:

Gets me so PUMPED!

I like it! :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's actually not bad.  I would like more adrenaline pumped into my ears, but I wouldn't be upset it if it was picked.

Of course, I'd still kinda like this one:

Archived