Interesting parallel

Rednilla

Quarterback is the difference between '04/'10 and next season.  In both cases, we went into the season with a veteran and highly capable (read NFL ready) players at the QB position.  I don't think we'll have that next season......

Yes We will!

This guy is walking on

800px-football_soldiers.jpg

Quarterback is the difference between '04/'10 and next season.  In both cases, we went into the season with a veteran and highly capable (read NFL ready) players at the QB position.  I don't think we'll have that next season......

Yes We will!

This guy is walking on

M-16 included ?

Yes We will!

This guy is walking on

M-16 included ?

Nah... they stated that it took a veteran QB to win so I figured he would help!

In 2003, Auburn lost five games, all to very good opponents (in fact, all five won their bowl game that year). Two of those five teams split the national championship (LSU beat Oklahoma in the BCS National Championship Game, USC had only one loss and was left out, won the AP vote). A bowl victory propelled them into the offseason.

Last year, Auburn lost five games, all five to very good opponents (in fact, all were ranked in the top 15 at season's end). Two of those five teams played for the national championship. A bowl victory leads us into the offseason, hopefully for the better.

Yeah, it's a small thing, and certainly it doesn't mean we're going to have another magical run in 2012 like we did in 2004. But it's something I stumbled across in my research and thought was odd, so I thought I'd share.

Oh, and pushing the comparison a little farther, we returned 16 starters on the 04 squad, and we will return 18 in 2012...not that they are exactly the same, but both teams had/have a great deal of experienced players coming back.

And pushing that comparison a little farther still: We were 8-5 in 2009 before going 14-0 in 2010.

Everyone is talking about Blakely mostly at RB. I thought the next guy to watch out for was Corey Grant? But then again being confused on which is the next big star at RB could be potentially is not a bad thing right?  ;D

In 2003, Auburn lost five games, all to very good opponents (in fact, all five won their bowl game that year). Two of those five teams split the national championship (LSU beat Oklahoma in the BCS National Championship Game, USC had only one loss and was left out, won the AP vote). A bowl victory propelled them into the offseason.

Last year, Auburn lost five games, all five to very good opponents (in fact, all were ranked in the top 15 at season's end). Two of those five teams played for the national championship. A bowl victory leads us into the offseason, hopefully for the better.

Yeah, it's a small thing, and certainly it doesn't mean we're going to have another magical run in 2012 like we did in 2004. But it's something I stumbled across in my research and thought was odd, so I thought I'd share.

Oh, and pushing the comparison a little farther, we returned 16 starters on the 04 squad, and we will return 18 in 2012...not that they are exactly the same, but both teams had/have a great deal of experienced players coming back.

And pushing that comparison a little farther still: We were 8-5 in 2009 before going 14-0 in 2010.

:laugh: Yeah, and we had 5 losses in 92 as well. The last time we lost five games during the regular season and didn't follow with an undefeated record, Doug Barfield was the coach.

Everyone is talking about Blakely mostly at RB. I thought the next guy to watch out for was Corey Grant? But then again being confused on which is the next big star at RB could be potentially is not a bad thing right?  ;D

Not sure where that came from, but it is my understanding that Grant played corner on the scout team in 2011. :dunno:

Everyone is talking about Blakely mostly at RB. I thought the next guy to watch out for was Corey Grant? But then again being confused on which is the next big star at RB could be potentially is not a bad thing right? ;D

Not sure where that came from, but it is my understanding that Grant played corner on the scout team in 2011. :dunno:

From my understanding Corey Grant was supposed to be the next big RB at Bama. He transferred to AU last year and had to sit out a year. I could have sworn he was a RB on the scout team and was explosive. Would like if someone clears this up for me but I am almost positive this kid is a RB.

Here is a link:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/saban_calls_rb_corey_grants_de.html

From my understanding Corey Grant was supposed to be the next big RB at Bama. He transferred to AU last year and had to sit out a year. I could have sworn he was a RB on the scout team and was explosive. Would like if someone clears this up for me but I am almost positive this kid is a RB.

Oh, he came out of high school as a running back, and if he'd come to Auburn initially, as he seemed destined to do considering his proximity to the Loveliest Village, then he would have played the Tre Mason role on the national championship team. Thing is, Saban wanted to prove he could go into Auburn's back yard and take a prospect. He promised to let Grant play running back, but he never would have seen the field as a running back at Bama. Once he figured that out, he transferred to Auburn.

Given the way things have gone recruiting running backs this year, Grant may well be moved back to RB (and I hope he is...I was excited about the prospect of him playing for us back when he was winning the state championships in the 100 meters against current Alabama corner Demarcus Milliner), but again, last I heard he was playing scout team corner. That may have been bad information, but :dunno:

I'm hoping we see more RB by committee aka LSU this year, especially with Prosch in the mix now. 

I ran into Corey Grant at Goodyear one afternoon and to me he didn't look the part of a power back like Dyer or Richardson is. He was fit but didn't have a build of a power back. Hope I'm wrong and maybe he has bulked up.

Oh, he came out of high school as a running back, and if he'd come to Auburn initially, as he seemed destined to do considering his proximity to the Loveliest Village, then he would have played the Tre Mason role on the national championship team. Thing is, Saban wanted to prove he could go into Auburn's back yard and take a prospect. He promised to let Grant play running back, but he never would have seen the field as a running back at Bama. Once he figured that out, he transferred to Auburn.

Given the way things have gone recruiting running backs this year, Grant may well be moved back to RB (and I hope he is...I was excited about the prospect of him playing for us back when he was winning the state championships in the 100 meters against current Alabama corner Demarcus Milliner), but again, last I heard he was playing scout team corner. That may have been bad information, but :dunno:

I thought he was scout team offensive MVP of the year this past year.  

Maybe he was, I've not heard anything of the sort. And again, maybe I'm wrong about him playing scout team corner (I might have just seen speculation that he played there, I don't know). I certainly would like it if he was the scout team OMVP, because it means he's ready to take on a piece of the job.

Don't forget 2009. We lost to 5 good teams (well, they all had winning records) before the run in 2010.

LSU, Arkansas, Kentucky, Georgia, Bama (eventual MNC)

I did a little more research, and reaching even farther into the bizarre, the last four times Auburn has lost five games during the regular season were 1992, 2003, 2009, and 2011...

That's actually pretty crazy.  Let's hope the trend continues!

From my understanding Corey Grant was supposed to be the n

ext big RB at Bama. He transferred to AU last year and had to sit out a year. I could have sworn he was a RB on the scout team and was explosive. Would like if someone clears this up for me but I am almost positive this kid is a RB.

Maybe he was, I've not heard anything of the sort. And again, maybe I'm wrong about him playing scout team corner (I might have just seen speculation that he played there, I don't know). I certainly would like it if he was the scout team OMVP, because it means he's ready to take on a piece of the job.

And he was co strength and conditioning player of the year.

http://mobile.al.com/advbirm/pm_29180/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ChW2MnNo

That's actually pretty danged awesome, because it means that we have no depth issue at running back with TJ flipping. I was worried about having just four tailbacks (including Jovon Robinson), but was excited about the prospect of Prosche (sp?) coming on board to have a blocking back, and now hearing that Corey is still at tailback...yeah, we have an embarrassment of riches there. We lose the stud and a top recruit and still have five 4 star or better players, plus an All-America fullback. Wow...

That's actually pretty danged awesome, because it means that we have no depth issue at running back with TJ flipping. I was worried about having just four tailbacks (including Jovon Robinson), but was excited about the prospect of Prosche (sp?) coming on board to have a blocking back, and now hearing that Corey is still at tailback...yeah, we have an embarrassment of riches there. We lose the stud and a top recruit and still have five 4 star or better players, plus an All-America fullback. Wow...

Exactly my line of thinking when I said RB by committee.  ;)

Blakely will be a Heisman contender within two years.  I'm calling it right here and now.  Signed, Karma.  

That is what I read somewhere too. But yea I was thinking (from what I have heard) that he is going to be a stud RB for us. I have been telling everyone that we won't miss Dyer too much because of all the depth of actual solid talent that we have at the RB position next year. And now with an All-American FB to run behind.... Could get exciting.

Archived