Interesting parallel

Rednilla

In 2003, Auburn lost five games, all to very good opponents (in fact, all five won their bowl game that year). Two of those five teams split the national championship (LSU beat Oklahoma in the BCS National Championship Game, USC had only one loss and was left out, won the AP vote). A bowl victory propelled them into the offseason.

Last year, Auburn lost five games, all five to very good opponents (in fact, all were ranked in the top 15 at season's end). Two of those five teams played for the national championship. A bowl victory leads us into the offseason, hopefully for the better.

Yeah, it's a small thing, and certainly it doesn't mean we're going to have another magical run in 2012 like we did in 2004. But it's something I stumbled across in my research and thought was odd, so I thought I'd share.

Oh, and pushing the comparison a little farther, we returned 16 starters on the 04 squad, and we will return 18 in 2012...not that they are exactly the same, but both teams had/have a great deal of experienced players coming back.

In 2003, Auburn lost five games, all to very good opponents (in fact, all five won their bowl game that year). Two of those five teams split the national championship (LSU beat Oklahoma in the BCS National Championship Game, USC had only one loss and was left out, won the AP vote). A bowl victory propelled them into the offseason.

Last year, Auburn lost five games, all five to very good opponents (in fact, all were ranked in the top 15 at season's end). Two of those five teams played for the national championship. A bowl victory leads us into the offseason, hopefully for the better.

Yeah, it's a small thing, and certainly it doesn't mean we're going to have another magical run in 2012 like we did in 2004. But it's something I stumbled across in my research and thought was odd, so I thought I'd share.

I like your kind of thinking red.  You never know with kids but the light has to come on at some point and next season would be a great time to for it.  WDE!!!

Oh, and pushing the comparison a little farther, we returned 16 starters on the 04 squad, and we will return 18 in 2012...not that they are exactly the same, but both teams had/have a great deal of experienced players coming back.

Not really any cause and effect from the first part but adding in the starters returning from both years does make the comparison interesting.

Another similarity (not predictive either) is we were dealing with a new OC in 04 and will be again in '12.  Just wish we were entering the third year under a DC like Chizik again next year.

Don't forget 2009. We lost to 5 good teams (well, they all had winning records) before the run in 2010.

LSU, Arkansas, Kentucky, Georgia, Bama (eventual MNC)

I did a little more research, and reaching even farther into the bizarre, the last four times Auburn has lost five games during the regular season were 1992, 2003, 2009, and 2011...

Don't forget 2009. We lost to 5 good teams (well, they all had winning records) before the run in 2010.

I did a little more research, and reaching even farther into the bizarre, the last four times Auburn has lost five games during the regular season were 1992, 2003, 2009, and 2011...

Spooooky.  :cool:

Last year, Auburn lost five games, all five to very good opponents (in fact, all were ranked in the top 15 at season's end).

I like your post and agree with the premise; however, for the record one of those teams that beat us ended up #19 and another ended up #22.  At the same time, the other 3 ended up #1,#2, and #5... same difference.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

We only need solid QB play...'93 Stan White (Sr.) & Pat Nix (So.) played lights out, '04 Jason Campbell (Sr.) played lights out, '10 Cam Newton (Jr.) played lights out

Last year, Auburn lost five games, all five to very good opponents (in fact, all were ranked in the top 15 at season's end).

I like your post and agree with the premise; however, for the record one of those teams that beat us ended up #19 and another ended up #22.  At the same time, the other 3 ended up #1,#2, and #5... same difference.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

That's after the bowl, right? I was talking about pre-bowl.

Homer.   :rolleyes:

We only need solid QB play...'93 Stan White (Sr.) & Pat Nix (So.) played lights out, '04 Jason Campbell (Sr.) played lights out, '10 Cam Newton (Jr.) played lights out

DOUBLE Homer.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

J/K

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm with your line of thinking.

WDE !!

Yes, I was referring to the final post-bowl AP poll. 

Does that really change the message?

Not really, go back and read my prior post.  I guess with all the "14" bull schatt that we Auburn fans are bombarded with by updykes who are never bothered by the facts (the more intelligent ones whom I'm happy to educate), my sensitivity to "facts that aren't factual" is higher than ever. 

I only clarified the final standings to save my Auburn friends from getting called out in the heat of an argument with an updyke.

Homer.   :rolleyes:

DOUBLE Homer.   :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

J/K

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm with your line of thinking.

WDE !!

Hey, I am an admitted homer...

Quarterback is the difference between '04/'10 and next season.  In both cases, we went into the season with a veteran and highly capable (read NFL ready) players at the QB position.  I don't think we'll have that next season......

Quarterback is the difference between '04/'10 and next season.  In both cases, we went into the season with a veteran and highly capable (read NFL ready) players at the QB position.  I don't think we'll have that next season......

Hard to say that Cam was really a veteran...he'd run a handful of plays in the SEC and then played in Junior College. He was a junior, sure, but Clint is a junior this year as well.

I'm not arguing that Clint is on the level of Cam or JC, just pointing out that we do have some experience there.

Big Blue... You are correct sir!  :cool: Good to Great QB play and we'll be dangerous.

:believe:

Yes We will!

This guy is walking on

800px-football_soldiers.jpg

Archived