any 240 lbs linebackers we might be after

big au fan rjwhite

Auburn linebackers are not small. In fact they are getting bigger with each recruiting class. There are those who want to compare UAT and UGA linebackers to Auburn's. They both run a 3-4 defense and their jack linebacker would be a DEs in our defense. LSU's linebackers are smaller than Auburn's and they are playing for the NC. Our linebackers compare favorably to everyone in the SEC that runs a 4-3. Daren Bates is not the standard for Auburn's linebacking corps. Google it, research it, and you will find the right answers.

Don't know what LSU roster you are looking at but the updated rosters on ESPN show their starting linebackers are 242, 236, and 223 lbs. Ours are 205, 225, and 230.

Auburn linebackers are not small. In fact they are getting bigger with each recruiting class. There are those who want to compare UAT and UGA linebackers to Auburn's. They both run a 3-4 defense and their jack linebacker would be a DEs in our defense. LSU's linebackers are smaller than Auburn's and they are playing for the NC. Our linebackers compare favorably to everyone in the SEC that runs a 4-3. Daren Bates is not the standard for Auburn's linebacking corps. Google it, research it, and you will find the right answers.

Don't know what LSU roster you are looking at but the updated rosters on ESPN show their starting linebackers are 242, 236, and 223 lbs. Ours are 205, 225, and 230.

You are talking about starters and i'm talking about the entire linebacker rosters. Google it, research it, and you will find the right answers.

McKinzy is probably in the 230's but I look for him to end up at DE.  I don't think he has quite the speed we look for.  I believe he's a 4.7 40 guy.  Of course Bynes was a good one even if he was a step slow. Alexander is smaller and has a lot of work to do to be an early contibutor.  Hopefully he will do what it takes to get there. Mitchell has great speed but at 6' 190 or so he's similar to Justin Garrett.  Needs to get bigger and stronger.  Wonder why we never showed any interest in Richie Brown.  He has near McKinzy size with Mitchell speed. Was the leading tackler in All-Star game. 4* with nice offer list inclluding LSU, Georgia, Stanford. Brown must have had interest in AU at one time. We were the only school in his 15 team interest list who hadn't offered so I think he finally dropped us off.  I hear the other Brown LB (Beniquez) wants to be a RB so that kind of eliminated us I think. Noor Davis and Dawson would be a very long shots. We have three 4* LBs committed already which I'm happy about but I'm still a little concerned. Out of all our LBs only one right now has Star written all over him Kris Frost and he has those dreaded shoulder issues.  I reckon I worry too much.

Many on this board believe our LB's are too small. Many believe they are big enough. I feel the reason we are

debating this issue is because most fo the time the ball carrier picks up another three yards after our LB's

make contact. Is it really size or are there other resons why our LB's (not named Toro) ankle tackle? Our

coaches rewarded playing time to folks who did not use proper tecnique and fundimentals and it infected

the entire team. It resulted in very ugly play, coaching changes, media beat downs, opponants having

success from negative recruiting. If you ever get away from fundimentals, especially in the SEC, you WILL

be exploited!

McKinzy is probably in the 230's but I look for him to end up at DE.  I don't think he has quite the speed we look for.  I believe he's a 4.7 40 guy. 

McKinzy is a lot faster than you think.  He is in the high 4.5-low 4.6 range.  He is definitely  not moving to DE.  He is an absolute stud LB.

I do not want to try to find the post again but...  In a similar discussion I posted the weights of our scholarship linebackers and Bammers scholarship linebackers from the last two recruiting cycles.  Ours were very comparable with the exception of Frost who was a little lighter.... 

Same here Newbomb. I posted a breakdown of the LB's from the last few recruiting classes versus the ones in 2010-2011. The basic summary is that we are recruiting larger linebackers. I believe it was essentially that the players we are recruiting, as HS seniors, are the size of the linebackers on the field. Average recruited linebacker is 6'-1" and 220 lbs. These guys will all play at/around 240 lbs by their sophomore year.

240lb LB's are not used in the Tampa 2 defense that we like to run. (see Derrick Brooks from Tampa Bay all the years they made it famous). It's based on speed and technique. But to answer your question, Jake Holland is right at 240lbs.

Yeah, Brain Urlacher and Lance Briggs are so small.  :P

Urlacher was a safety in college.

He's a LB in a Tampa 2 defense.  :tease:

Don't sweat it man. Some folks don't like letting the facts get in the way of their arguments while pumping sunshine.

McKinzy is probably in the 230's but I look for him to end up at DE.  I don't think he has quite the speed we look for. 

if that really happens then i will just be resigned to the fact that we put 7 DE's and 4 safeties out there on defense and see what happens. but what i think is that caz is going to be our Mike his jr/sr and probably soph year. do not like the idea of him paying DE.

Many on this board believe our LB's are too small. Many believe they are big enough. I feel the reason we are

debating this issue is because most fo the time the ball carrier picks up another three yards after our LB's

make contact. Is it really size or are there other resons why our LB's (not named Toro) ankle tackle? Our

coaches rewarded playing time to folks who did not use proper tecnique and fundimentals and it infected

the entire team. It resulted in very ugly play, coaching changes, media beat downs, opponants having

success from negative recruiting. If you ever get away from fundimentals, especially in the SEC, you WILL

be exploited!

Thank You - THANK YOU for posting this information. 

Archived