Maybe I am a little " bammerish"

tigerjeffm

This is my first post ever so I am going to give my opinion.  I agree and disagree with the last several comments on this topic.  You definitely can have a good defense when you have the spread offense all they have to do is play assignment football and have a 3 and out and get your offense right back on the field to score some points(which we have not seen much of this year).  Our defense is tired b/c they miss tackles and let the other team run up and down the field b/c of missed assignments.  However, at the same token it seems as if our defensive recruiting is almost the same as our offensive recruiting.  Look at our db's size alone compared to LSU and UA tiny and slow.  It is never good when your safetys are making all of the tackles.  Our D-line is getting smaller, we have noone that can stand their ground and take up space.  We get blown of the ball every running play and I can't even begin with the Linebackers, all I can say about them is PeeWee football(sickening).  What happened to our Takeo Spikes and other like him?    We don't have one shutdown cornerback, which is sad for a college like Auburn.  Although several of you guys say we are young, I say we are out manned plain and simple.  Look at LSU yes they have some Seniors on their defense but what year is Mathieu Sophmore so I don't want to hear about young players just RECRUIT BETTER PLAYERS....I have more but I'm tired of typing!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first post ever so I am going to give my opinion.  I agree and disagree with the last several comments on this topic.  You definitely can have a good defense when you have the spread offense all they have to do is play assignment football and have a 3 and out and get your offense right back on the field to score some points(which we have not seen much of this year).  Our defense is tired b/c they miss tackles and let the other team run up and down the field b/c of missed assignments.  However, at the same token it seems as if our defensive recruiting is almost the same as our offensive recruiting.  Look at our db's size alone compared to LSU and UA tiny and slow.  It is never good when your safetys are making all of the tackles.  Our D-line is getting smaller, we have noone that can stand their ground and take up space.  We get blown of the ball every running play and I can't even begin with the Linebackers, all I can say about them is PeeWee football(sickening).  What happened to our Takeo Spikes and other like him?    We don't have one shutdown cornerback, which is sad for a college like Auburn.  Although several of you guys say we are young, I say we are out manned plain and simple.  Look at LSU yes they have some Seniors on their defense but what year is Mathieu Sophmore so I don't want to hear about young players just RECRUIT BETTER PLAYERS....I have more but I'm tired of typing!

Quitter lol

First off, I've enjoyed reading this discussion.  Each post has been thoughtfull, logical, rational, and respectful. You can't ask for anything else.  I, too, am sick of the bammer/sunshine pumper back and forth.  Its juvenile and completely unwarranted.  So what if we don't agree? We can still be respectful and civil about it. Look at the previous 3 pages.

Secondly, one thing I get tired of is this, and Randy I'm using your post as an example,

I think everybody who posts on here loves AU and the athletic programs. Many of you are alums/students; some of us are fans ("sidewalk fans" as described by some on here). I don't think any of us who post on here thought we'd have an undefeated season this year. I didn't---wanted it, but knew it just wouldn't be this year. But, is it wrong for us to want to see some improvements over the course of the football season? So far we have played 4 top 20---maybe even top 10---teams on he road, and won one of them. The other 3 we lost---problem is, we lost BADLY. Au wasn't even in those games from the opening kick-off, and that's what's gotten a lot of us upset, especially after the GA debacle. I think most on here didn't expect to beat GA, but we expected our guys to give it their all and they didn't, for whatever reason. GA is NOT a great team. They are a good team, but AU made them look like the next BCS National Champs.  Even the 2nd half when GA was simply trying to run out the clock, our defense could not stop them. I think they rang up about 300 yards in the 2nd half when they were simply keeping the ball on the ground to NOT run up the score. I, like many others, gave Coach Roof the benefit of the doubt in 2009. AU was a thin team, mostly due to the lack of recruiting by Tommy Tuberville the last 2 years of his stay at AU. However, when one looks at theh 2010 team, we won the national championship thanks to the offense with some assistance from the defense. We are all excited about the 2010 season, but don't overlook the fact that AU's defense that year was not too damn good. This year's defense is AWFUL, and that's putting it mildly. Yes, a lot of the problems could be the fact that the offense cannot stay on the field long enough to let the defense rest. But, when you see missed tackles and players being out of position, and the secondary  being torched game after game, something has got to give. How many 3rd downs did GA convert the other night? Remember when Clemson converted 10 in a row in that game? Hell, Pat Dye's first AU team played harder and with more heart on defense than these guys do. Why is that? Is it coaching? Coach Dye didn't hesitate to dump some assistants if they weren't getting the job done. Do you remember Frank Orgel? He and Dye were long-time buddies, but when the AU defense under Orgel did not perform up to AU standards, he was a goner. We all wonder why Nick Saban is so good at recruiting (yes, he more times than not lies to the recruits and we're all certain the REC helps out a lot). On a show leading up to the "game of the century," someone said that there could be as many as 27 future NFL players in Tuscaloosa that weekend, and this same man said 17 of them were on Bama's squad. You don't think kids and parents hear that kind of stuff? Do you not think that makes a big impression on these kids and parents?

OK. My rant is over. I'm sure after the time I spent to type this, some moderator will come along and delete it because it's not being over kind. I love AU sports, and want them to give everything they have on the field or the courts. If AU still loses after laying it's hearts on the line, I can live with that.

As a Mod I take offense to post like this.  We don't arbitrarily remove post because we disagree or don't like the tone of it.  The majority of post that are removed are due to violations of the rules or they are blatantly inflammatory and will only incite others. We try to let things go for the most part, but we've done this a while and usually can see where a post or thread is heading.  That's why we try to be proactive rather than reactive. 

I really don't care what you get tired of. I remember after the Clemson game that a lot of posts by people who were critical but NOT derogatory or anything of that nature were deleted, and a couple of them were mine and all I pointed out was that the defense was playing bad in that game. I think YOU are the one who deletes a lot of the posts. Why has the RANT/RAVE board been removed?

First off, I've enjoyed reading this discussion. Each post has been thoughtfull, logical, rational, and respectful. You can't ask for anything else. I, too, am sick of the bammer/sunshine pumper back and forth. Its juvenile and completely unwarranted. So what if we don't agree? We can still be respectful and civil about it. Look at the previous 3 pages.

Secondly, one thing I get tired of is this, and Randy I'm using your post as an example,

I think everybody who posts on here loves AU and the athletic programs. Many of you are alums/students; some of us are fans ("sidewalk fans" as described by some on here). I don't think any of us who post on here thought we'd have an undefeated season this year. I didn't---wanted it, but knew it just wouldn't be this year. But, is it wrong for us to want to see some improvements over the course of the football season? So far we have played 4 top 20---maybe even top 10---teams on he road, and won one of them. The other 3 we lost---problem is, we lost BADLY. Au wasn't even in those games from the opening kick-off, and that's what's gotten a lot of us upset, especially after the GA debacle. I think most on here didn't expect to beat GA, but we expected our guys to give it their all and they didn't, for whatever reason. GA is NOT a great team. They are a good team, but AU made them look like the next BCS National Champs. Even the 2nd half when GA was simply trying to run out the clock, our defense could not stop them. I think they rang up about 300 yards in the 2nd half when they were simply keeping the ball on the ground to NOT run up the score. I, like many others, gave Coach Roof the benefit of the doubt in 2009. AU was a thin team, mostly due to the lack of recruiting by Tommy Tuberville the last 2 years of his stay at AU. However, when one looks at theh 2010 team, we won the national championship thanks to the offense with some assistance from the defense. We are all excited about the 2010 season, but don't overlook the fact that AU's defense that year was not too damn good. This year's defense is AWFUL, and that's putting it mildly. Yes, a lot of the problems could be the fact that the offense cannot stay on the field long enough to let the defense rest. But, when you see missed tackles and players being out of position, and the secondary being torched game after game, something has got to give. How many 3rd downs did GA convert the other night? Remember when Clemson converted 10 in a row in that game? Hell, Pat Dye's first AU team played harder and with more heart on defense than these guys do. Why is that? Is it coaching? Coach Dye didn't hesitate to dump some assistants if they weren't getting the job done. Do you remember Frank Orgel? He and Dye were long-time buddies, but when the AU defense under Orgel did not perform up to AU standards, he was a goner. We all wonder why Nick Saban is so good at recruiting (yes, he more times than not lies to the recruits and we're all certain the REC helps out a lot). On a show leading up to the "game of the century," someone said that there could be as many as 27 future NFL players in Tuscaloosa that weekend, and this same man said 17 of them were on Bama's squad. You don't think kids and parents hear that kind of stuff? Do you not think that makes a big impression on these kids and parents?

OK. My rant is over. I'm sure after the time I spent to type this, some moderator will come along and delete it because it's not being over kind. I love AU sports, and want them to give everything they have on the field or the courts. If AU still loses after laying it's hearts on the line, I can live with that.

As a Mod I take offense to post like this. We don't arbitrarily remove post because we disagree or don't like the tone of it. The majority of post that are removed are due to violations of the rules or they are blatantly inflammatory and will only incite others. We try to let things go for the most part, but we've done this a while and usually can see where a post or thread is heading. That's why we try to be proactive rather than reactive.

I really don't care what you get tired of. I remember after the Clemson game that a lot of posts by people who were critical but NOT derogatory or anything of that nature were deleted, and a couple of them were mine and all I pointed out was that the defense was playing bad in that game. I think YOU are the one who deletes a lot of the posts. Why has the RANT/RAVE board been removed?

Read the pinned topic at the top of the page with the lightbulb flashing it is from the creator of the site AUSportTalk

http://www.auburneagle.com/WEAForum/index.php?topic=40950.0

First off, I've enjoyed reading this discussion.  Each post has been thoughtfull, logical, rational, and respectful. You can't ask for anything else.  I, too, am sick of the bammer/sunshine pumper back and forth.  Its juvenile and completely unwarranted.  So what if we don't agree? We can still be respectful and civil about it. Look at the previous 3 pages.

I think everybody who posts on here loves AU and the athletic programs. Many of you are alums/students; some of us are fans ("sidewalk fans" as described by some on here). I don't think any of us who post on here thought we'd have an undefeated season this year. I didn't---wanted it, but knew it just wouldn't be this year. But, is it wrong for us to want to see some improvements over the course of the football season? So far we have played 4 top 20---maybe even top 10---teams on he road, and won one of them. The other 3 we lost---problem is, we lost BADLY. Au wasn't even in those games from the opening kick-off, and that's what's gotten a lot of us upset, especially after the GA debacle. I think most on here didn't expect to beat GA, but we expected our guys to give it their all and they didn't, for whatever reason. GA is NOT a great team. They are a good team, but AU made them look like the next BCS National Champs.  Even the 2nd half when GA was simply trying to run out the clock, our defense could not stop them. I think they rang up about 300 yards in the 2nd half when they were simply keeping the ball on the ground to NOT run up the score. I, like many others, gave Coach Roof the benefit of the doubt in 2009. AU was a thin team, mostly due to the lack of recruiting by Tommy Tuberville the last 2 years of his stay at AU. However, when one looks at theh 2010 team, we won the national championship thanks to the offense with some assistance from the defense. We are all excited about the 2010 season, but don't overlook the fact that AU's defense that year was not too damn good. This year's defense is AWFUL, and that's putting it mildly. Yes, a lot of the problems could be the fact that the offense cannot stay on the field long enough to let the defense rest. But, when you see missed tackles and players being out of position, and the secondary  being torched game after game, something has got to give. How many 3rd downs did GA convert the other night? Remember when Clemson converted 10 in a row in that game? Hell, Pat Dye's first AU team played harder and with more heart on defense than these guys do. Why is that? Is it coaching? Coach Dye didn't hesitate to dump some assistants if they weren't getting the job done. Do you remember Frank Orgel? He and Dye were long-time buddies, but when the AU defense under Orgel did not perform up to AU standards, he was a goner. We all wonder why Nick Saban is so good at recruiting (yes, he more times than not lies to the recruits and we're all certain the REC helps out a lot). On a show leading up to the "game of the century," someone said that there could be as many as 27 future NFL players in Tuscaloosa that weekend, and this same man said 17 of them were on Bama's squad. You don't think kids and parents hear that kind of stuff? Do you not think that makes a big impression on these kids and parents?

As a Mod I take offense to post like this.  We don't arbitrarily remove post because we disagree or don't like the tone of it.  The majority of post that are removed are due to violations of the rules or they are blatantly inflammatory and will only incite others. We try to let things go for the most part, but we've done this a while and usually can see where a post or thread is heading.  That's why we try to be proactive rather than reactive. 

Please don't be a horses a** to bird and mess up this fine thread I started.  You have no idea how much time and beer was consumed typing it last night.  I was up WAY past my bedtime.  There's some pretty sensitive stuff being tossed around and everybody has been real nice til now

Please don't be a horses a** to bird and mess up this fine thread I started.  You have no idea how much time and beer was consumed typing it last night.  I was up WAY past my bedtime.  There's some pretty sensitive stuff being tossed around and everybody has been real nice til now

:laugh:

Archived