If I were a recruit...

Rednilla

You know, Auburn's struggles this season have been tough, but if I were a recruit...man, I would be in love with the place. AU won it all only a year ago, has a rich tradition of success, an incredible campus (and even more incredible student bodyies), top notch facilities, a young and energetic coaching staff that actually cares about their guys, and a lot of playing time up for grabs at a bunch of different positions. And it's important that the NCAA issued that letter formally closing the investigation: makes for a lot less negative recruiting.

Thoughts? Comments?

If I were playing any position but RB or WR, I'd be psyched to get an offer from AU.  At RB, I'd looked at how stacked we are and go someplace else for playing time.  At WR, I'd be concerned about whether the offense is in a place to make me productive, and if not, how long I thought it might take to get to that place (if I knew Kiehl, I would probably be less concerned).

If we were recruiting you this would be a pi$$ poor class!   ;)

If Auburn were recruiting my fat rear end, I'd be worried...I was more saying if I were young and athletic, that's all. :laugh:

I agree with all you said, but this or any staff that is going to have top five recruiting classes year in and year

out must be known for turning top recruits into top draft picks. Lets face it, What color jerseys most five stars

wear in college doesn't matter as much as what round they get drafted. They are going to choose their favorite

from the ones that they KNOW can get them to the league. Thats the only way the angry yard nome signs

those classes. Its not his love for his players or his great personality.

Honestly, if I was a four or five star recuit I would rather be in a different offensive system. NFL sells. I would just look at Lutz and think if he was in more of a conventional offense he would probably be a top draft pick. Dyer hardly ever gets enough carries. They only throw out of play action except for those stupid bubble screens.

We supposedly run the same defense as the Chicago Bears but for reason our linebackers and defensive backs are undersized and often get outplayed. I would want to get to a college where I could grow physically, mentally, and increase football knowledge. I really don't understand why we want small kids out there.

Sorry. I don't mean to dog AU. I love AU. After the UGA loss.... If there is one loss worth being mad about that was it.

Lutz will be a top draft pick anyway because of his skill set. IMO he is the best TE in the history of Auburn football talent wise.

Lutz will be a top draft pick anyway because of his skill set. IMO he is the best TE in the history of Auburn football talent wise.

Totally agree with this he is a Todd Heap/Dallas Clark guy as far as ability.

Didn't hurt Julio that he was in an offense that didn't showcase his skills.

Julio made impacts for bama at several occasions. I just don't think Lutz will get the publicity he deserves. He will have to really show out at the combine.

Julio made impacts for bama at several occasions. I just don't think Lutz will get the publicity he deserves. He will have to really show out at the combine.

Or he could spend next year breaking every Tight End record in Auburn's book.

I think he's gonna be a steal in round 3 or 4. Tight ends are never drafted as high as they should be and Lutz doesn't get the respect he deserves. I think we will be hearing his name on Sundays for a long while

Honestly, if I was a four or five star recuit I would rather be in a different offensive system. NFL sells. I would just look at Lutz and think if he was in more of a conventional offense he would probably be a top draft pick. Dyer hardly ever gets enough carries. They only throw out of play action except for those stupid bubble screens.

We supposedly run the same defense as the Chicago Bears but for reason our linebackers and defensive backs are undersized and often get outplayed. I would want to get to a college where I could grow physically, mentally, and increase football knowledge. I really don't understand why we want small kids out there.

Sorry. I don't mean to dog AU. I love AU. After the UGA loss.... If there is one loss worth being mad about that was it.

The offense sells itself plenty well, to be honest. The whole idea that this is less of a pro style offense is a myth. Peyton Manning has been incorporating elements of the spread into Indianapolis' offense pretty much since he got there in 98. There are several teams whose offensive alignments and playcalling are very similar to what we run. And let us not forget that the "Wildcat" was something our own Gus Malzahn got started back when he was working with Darren McFadden in Fayetteville.

This isn't the "Nascar" offense that Tony Franklin was famous for. You don't trim down your offensive linemen so they can run down the field quickly. It's a straight ahead, down your throat running game with misdirections and innovative passing incorporated. The problem is that if you can't block, it doesn't matter what plays are called.

The offense sells itself plenty well, to be honest. The whole idea that this is less of a pro style offense is a myth. Peyton Manning has been incorporating elements of the spread into Indianapolis' offense pretty much since he got there in 98. There are several teams whose offensive alignments and playcalling are very similar to what we run. And let us not forget that the "Wildcat" was something our own Gus Malzahn got started back when he was working with Darren McFadden in Fayetteville.

This isn't the "Nascar" offense that Tony Franklin was famous for. You don't trim down your offensive linemen so they can run down the field quickly. It's a straight ahead, down your throat running game with misdirections and innovative passing incorporated. The problem is that if you can't block, it doesn't matter what plays are called.

I'm not getting into an argument about this and this will be the last time I post in this thread because I don't want the image of someone hating on AU. I was making the comment that the play selection and style really ins't indicitive of NFL offenses. This is why Cam's rushing stats were so impressive in college while he is showing off his arm in the NFL.The shotgun offense that so many NFL quaterbacks use is nothing like we run. Houston and Boise State run more of this style. Our offense is counter-option based, no where near the shotgun offenses of the NFL. Just because they line up in shotgun doesn't mean it is same thing. Our offense is not pro-style. A lot of our base plays are trick plays in the NFL.

I agree this is way better than Tony Franklin's FUBAR situation. I never said our offense isn't any good. I just said it's not pro-style. I agree that the blocking is horrible.

I think he's gonna be a steal in round 3 or 4. Tight ends are never drafted as high as they should be and Lutz doesn't get the respect he deserves. I think we will be hearing his name on Sundays for a long while

Lutz will not go unnoticed from NFL scouts, I am sure Lutz is on their radar. However, you will not hear about Lutz too much from so-called ESPN/SI experts because they just like to talk about a handful of players over and over.

Draft picks are not a popularity contest. NFL GMs and coaches draft the players that fit their system regardless of popularity. Lutz's skill set fits most NFL offenses.

Draft picks are not a popularity contest. NFL GMs and coaches drayf the players that fit their system regardless of popularity. Lutz's skill set fits most NFL offenses.

:thumbsup:

Easily. I think because he is a TE he may be underrated as far as great players for Auburn. Because sometimes TE dont get the same love as a RB or QB or WR.

If Auburn were recruiting my fat rear end, I'd be worried...I was more saying if I were young and athletic, that's all. :laugh:

That's a big "if", my friend! ;)

apparently literally.  ;D

:laugh: Well, I am still fairly athletic...just quite out of shape as well! :laugh:

Archived