We'll beat Arkansas if...

Richard78

I don't see Dyer having a lot of carries this week or being all that effective if he tries after the effort he put out against South Carolina... I mean 41 carriers up the gut with him getting hit by 3 to 5 guys every time while he was fighting and scratching for every inch he could get.   That's a lot of pounding and we have Florida and LSU coming up the following weeks.  We do play a 12 game season.

I think you might want to look back in the crystal ball.  I doubt dyer has 41 carries but 25-32 is about what I expect.  Tamu put up alot of yards on the ground against arky so I expect we will pound the ball as much as we can.

Just for curiosity, if you picked a number for the carriers per game that you think Dyer could perform 100% at week in and week out, what would it be?  Remember that he takes a lot of contact and puts out a lot of effort in running through and dragging tacklers... he isn't running speed sweeps, dodging tacklers and using the sidelines or going to the ground to avoid hard contact.

I would guess 20 carries a game, no more than 25, and if you go heavy one week you should lighten it up the next... by that is just my guess, I'm certainly no expert.

I agree but with mason still mia as far as the number of carries he gets we have to take the risk.  I expect mason and frazier will start taking more carries but until they do dyer has to be the horse.

Arkansas averages 350 yards in the air.  We avg. about 200 in pass defense.  About 75% of their first downs are passing.  Prior to the A & M game they averaged about 70 yds running, 160 after.  We have to crush their passing game and the rest will follow.

WDE !!!

To the point:

1) Win time of possession battle

2) Win field position battle

3) Pressure Wilson

This = an Auburn victory

:believe:

I didn't get to watch the Ark/aTm game on Saturday.  But, I did watch the Ark/uat game the week before, and I'm not impressed with Arky.  Their defense let uat run wild on them, and Wilson & WR's didn't do anything in that game.  Heck, their RB's had less than 20 yrds rushing against uat.  They just looked ineffective on both sides of the ball against uat. 

I hope AU renders them ineffective on Saturday and brings home the W.

get pressure on Wilson continually, stack the box every other play...Our O line is the weakest point on our team.

We have had very little running game until this last week because Dennis Johnson is finally fully recovered from Bowel surgery, and he is looking like he did prior... Plus Green is back for short yardage.

Special Teams containment is a must for you guys...Adams, Johnson, Wade....

To the point:

1) Win time of possession battle

2) Win field position battle

3) Pressure Wilson

This = an Auburn victory

:believe:

+ win the turnover battle, continue to 1 game trend of great 3rd down defense, and have solid special teams.

As the saying goes, the best defense is a good offense. Arkanasa gave up almost 400 yards rushing to a&m so if we can run the ball effectively and keep their offense off the field then we win. Well,  that and put Wilson on his butt a few times. Utilize Frazier in more than just the Wildcat offense. When he comes in the game, it almost reminds me of when Burnes used to run the Wildcat. Even I know that the majority of the time, he's going to run the ball. If he comes in and throws a pass, i"ll bet the receiver will be wide open.

We've tried throwing with Frazier twice this year. One was a low, but still good thrown ball in the endzone that should have been caught, and the other was Saturday... only it might not have looked like a pass because he was hit before he can even drop back. If we can get consistent protection we can move the ball.

As the saying goes, the best defense is a good offense. Arkanasa gave up almost 400 yards rushing to a&m so if we can run the ball effectively and keep their offense off the field then we win. Well,  that and put Wilson on his butt a few times. Utilize Frazier in more than just the Wildcat offense. When he comes in the game, it almost reminds me of when Burnes used to run the Wildcat. Even I know that the majority of the time, he's going to run the ball. If he comes in and throws a pass, i"ll bet the receiver will be wide open.

Ding Ding Ding....We have a winner.

After watching Ark vs Tx AM on Saturday my thoughts are...

Auburn must run the ball, the only run Ark stopped all day was the TX AM's last plaay on 4th and 2.

Get quick pressure on Wilson, if we try to cover Ark will find the matchup that favorable for them and expose it. Watch for #4 getting matched up with MLB over the middle, TxAM got worked over in the first half on that play.

Auburn's secondary has to tackle so short passes don't become 25 yaard gains.

Going vertical is the exact opposite of how we can beat Arkansass. Slow play with 90+ plays just like we did against SCe. Ark can run and pass too well, so the best way to keep them off the field is to own the ball with 80 yard, 6 to 8 minute drives. Dyer is a workhorse and I expect to see Mason, McCalebb, Bray, and Frazier all lighten the load for Dyer this week. My guess(based on SCe game) is Dyer gets 26 - 28 carries, with a team total 60+ plays on the ground. That of course is if we can control the clock and possession like we did against the Cocks.

I'm sure that Arkansas will sell out to stop the run, but I feel like we will be able to run the football regardless. We will need to develop the vertical passing game but only in chance situations to keep the defense honest, I feel like a lot of the offensive scheme could change if we get down early. With that being said I think the outcome of the game hinges on our defensive performance. If we can keep it relatively low scoring, so that we can run the ball and shorten the game we win.

The game plan you guys have sure looks alot like what CTT's game plan was.

CTT knew how to win ball games. You can beat anyone with this philosophy as long as you can limit the big plays from the opposing offense. Also, people need to understand what running the ball effectively does for an offensive line. It will build confidence and they will gel into a strong unit. Run blocking is a lot easier than pass blocking. The more confidence they get the better they will be at pass blocking. A good running game will open so many dimensions for this offense. I think Dyer is ready to carry this team!!!!

We will win if we score more points than we allow them to score. Plain and simple

It is simple until you think of the game plan to get to that point. Chizik knew we needed to make the game ugly and blue-collared to win. I loved it. Great job staff!!!!!!! We will have our normal offense back in due time. Lets just keeping winning ball games the way we can at this point.

:wareagle:

Archived