Going to my first AU football game!!! From Iowa! Info needed!

WDEIowa

if you stay in montgomery, stay in the east part that has hotels right off of I-85.

there's also a nice place outside of dadeville called stillwaters that is on lake martin, with a golf course and some great condos to rent.  it is a quiet, gated community 19 miles from the al st hwy 49 entrance of stillwaters to shug jordan parkway.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious, WDEIowa, how did you become an  Auburn Tiger fan in Hawkeye country? 

As a young kid, I was a huge fan of college football.  I was also a fan of good college football.  I don't remember the exact year I started following Auburn, but looking back, I think it was around '92.(originally I thought the late 80's but don't think so now) It was shortly before the undefeated '93 season.  SEC football was much faster and physical than the Big10 football I was accustomed to.  I couldn't follow the team on TV as much back then, so I was a techy and followed there after on my speedy dial up internet connection.  I also really liked Auburn's colors.  Haha.  Corny...but a fan was born!  I always liked Stephen Davis too!  :we:

Any one on here have a tailgate open to an overweight iowa boy and some nice eye candy on my shoulder? haha

Y'all are welcome to come by ours - we have an RV that's a pretty short walk to Tiger Walk.  Hit me up that week and I can give you the details.

Any one on here have a tailgate open to an overweight iowa boy and some nice eye candy on my shoulder? haha

Y'all are welcome to come by ours - we have an RV that's a pretty short walk to Tiger Walk.  Hit me up that week and I can give you the details.

Excellent!  Much appreciated!

Not sure if anyone is familiar with Templeton Rye Whiskey, but I will be bringing a bottle of it down for a lucky AU friend.  If you have never tried it, it's definitely something you should look into!

You are going to absolutely love your experience. I'm from Minnesota and my daughter goes to Auburn.  We went to the LSU game last year and it was the best sporting event I've ever been to.  That's saying something because I've been to PGA and US Open golf tournaments, World Series games, NCAA BB games, etc.  We always stay at the Holiday Inn Express, but I booked it five months before the game and the rate is of course much higher on football week-ends.  We were looking at apartments for our daughter and visited the University Heights complex.  A very nice lady there said they will rent an apartment for the games, but I'm not sure of the rate.  It would be a nice place to "splurge" as they have pools, grills, whirlpools, etc.

http://www.heightsatauburn.com/templates/template_concept04_hex/default.asp?w=universityheightsauburn

For the Tiger Walk, we went into the baseball stadium, climbed to the top and and looked down at the whole event.  I videotaped as the players/coaches walked below.  We were in the nosebleed section for the game and it absolutely didn't matter.  The atmosphere was electrifying and we were high fiving total strangers during the game. I've been to Hawkeye-Gopher games, and the Auburn experience makes these seem like elementary school flag football games. When I tell people about the Auburn experience they think I'm nuts because I get so excited and start showing them many pictures and videotapes. There are lots of good places to eat there, but some of our favorites are Loco's, Little Italy's, Niffer's, and Mama G's.

I've done a lot of traveling and the people in Auburn are the nicest folks I've ever met.  Just start talking to people and they will treat you like their best friends.

Iowa Fan - I grew up in West Des Moines and graduated from Dowling HS.  My parents lived in Auburn briefly before then and ended up moving to Atlanta right before my college years.  My parents loved AU and I ended up going there.  I didn't know a sole but loved every minute.  I also have a special place in my heart for Iowa and Iowa people.

Have a great trip; you will love the AU experience.  For tailgating my favorite place is the amphitheater by the architecture building and adjacent to the baseball stadium.  It's nestled in the pines and down the street from the stadium.  Mama Goldberg's for lunch definitely.  Hot pressed deli sandwiches that I don't think compare to any other place.

The Tiger Walk is amazing.  Many schools have copied the tradition but it is special and gets your heart thumping.  The pre-game activities at the game with the films, the flying wareagle, and the smoke filled tunnel entrance are great.  Enjoy! 

• 3 weeks later...

4 days until my invasion of the plains!  Does that tailgate invite still hold up? :-)  If not, anyone have a tailgate my wife and I can raid? 

Can't wait to experience this!!  Getting excited!

Yesterday we checked out the The Oaks, had some lemonade at Toomer's, ate lunch at Momma G's, Went to Tiger Rags and dropped too much money, and walked around campus.  The guy that runs the transit on campus was very helpful.  He gave us a lot of info.  Getting ready to go to Pannie George's for lunch(if we can), then going to go check out the trophies.  Then off to WarBlogle's tailgate.  Then tiger walk, then into the stadium! lol

So far having a blast!

Yesterday we checked out the The Oaks, had some lemonade at Toomer's, ate lunch at Momma G's, Went to Tiger Rags and dropped too much money, and walked around campus.  The guy that runs the transit on campus was very helpful.  He gave us a lot of info.  Getting ready to go to Pannie George's for lunch(if we can), then going to go check out the trophies.  Then off to WarBlogle's tailgate.  Then tiger walk, then into the stadium! lol

So far having a blast!

War Eagle!!!  Have a great time, Tiger Walk at 4:00, then lets beat those nasty Rebel Black Bears!!

:we:

So far having a blast!

That's awesome! Good to hear you are having a good time. War Eagle!

It was an amazing experience!  Today we went to Auburn Arena and saw all of the trophies, etc.  Then we went to WarBlogle's tailgate!(Great people!!).  We went to the tiger walk and stood front row. Got to shake Chizik and the players hands.  Got some excellent pictures!!  We watched a great game and rolled Toomer's!!  Went back to Momma G's for a late night sandwich and Nachos.

The entire experience was unbelievable.  We met some very cool people that were very shocked by our story of coming from Iowa.  I got to check about 5 things off my bucket list in one go. 

I was so jacked up for the eagle flight and tiger walk that I was shaking.  My wife commented on how excited I was.  I was like a kid in a candy store....or a bull in a china closet :-)  I was bouncing off walls.  I can't even begin to explain my experience fully.  I have about 500(literally) pictures that I will cherish for some time.  Jordan-Hare is nothing like I imagine from pictures and tv.  It's 100000x better in person.

It's been a long day and I am probably forgetting some, but I will post back if I remember anything else

It was an amazing experience!  Today we went to Auburn Arena and saw all of the trophies, etc.  Then we went to WarBlogle's tailgate!(Great people!!).  We went to the tiger walk and stood front row. Got to shake Chizik and the players hands.  Got some excellent pictures!!  We watched a great game and rolled Toomer's!!  Went back to Momma G's for a late night sandwich and Nachos.

The entire experience was unbelievable.  We met some very cool people that were very shocked by our story of coming from Iowa.  I got to check about 5 things off my bucket list in one go. 

I was so jacked up for the eagle flight and tiger walk that I was shaking.  My wife commented on how excited I was.  I was like a kid in a candy store....or a bull in a china closet :-)  I was bouncing off walls.  I can't even begin to explain my experience fully.  I have about 500(literally) pictures that I will cherish for some time.  Jordan-Hare is nothing like I imagine from pictures and tv.  It's 100000x better in person.

It's been a long day and I am probably forgetting some, but I will post back if I remember anything else

Glad you enjoyed it so much Iowa! I understand your excitement. I still get chills every time I go to a game there and have a hard time sleeping the night before. It is a very special place for sure!!!

i know how you feel about the shaking i remember my first game when i was about 12 years old, went with a group of friends and walking up the tunnel and the field opens up and you see the AU logo on the field and i just lost it  and friends asked me what was wrong and i couldnt explain it and everytime i go back i still get a little of that feeling but nothing is like the first time now you understand it too be safe going back home to Iowa

:wareagle: :wareagle: :wareagle:

Iowa, I can't tell you how much fun I had reading through this thread. Welcome to the Auburn Family! I know I am getting a bit old because when I read through this I have to admit I shed a tear. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. Take care. Come back often.

glad you got to experience it and hope you get to come back again sometime soon. I remember the first time I got to visit a gameday when I was in high school. I never took it for granted when I was a student, and I finally got to go back for a game this season after a few years layoff. All the gameday traditions still give me chills.

what part of iowa are you from? I have a lot of family in Dubuque.

• 2 weeks later...

bump ...

WDEIowa, after a week of reflection ... I am curious as to how the trip was a week later.  My wife and I were there without kids for the first time this year and it was a great game/atmosphere.  We even got to watch the Bama Gamblers that night ...

Archived